Aftermarket amplifier & subwoofer
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Aftermarket amplifier & subwoofer

I recently bought my 2010 Volvo XC90 and am wondering if it's possible to easily connect an amp and sub that I have lying around from a previous vehicle. Searching through many of the threads here I haven't found a straightforward explanation yet. is it possible to use the factory head unit? Is there a step-by-step anywhere of someone else's similar install?

The amplifier is a Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1 and subwoofer is a Rockford Fosgate 12" P3. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Add a Fiber optic MOST interface to feed the new amplifier and then fit as normal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can tap the rear speakers at the existing factory amp and add an output converter :https://www.crutchfield.com/S-uwIwiv...0aAnIhEALw_wcB
      2006 XC90 V8, AVH-3300NEX, PDX-F4(X2), M12, GB10, GB25, AR6K, GB12D4(X2), custom exhaust, Verde A/S Plus 107V/Ronal RT, IPD bars.
      2008 328xi, AVH-X7800BT, GM-D8604 & D9605, MT-230, GB40, XE 200, 12" Primo, Musicar NW box, S-04/Ventoso's, Sottozero 3/185's.
      2011 XC60 T6 RD, DWS/20" Cratus, IPD rear. 1980 TR8​, MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, 8" L7T(X2), NT05 on Revolution Wheels.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by robtr8 View Post
      You can tap the rear speakers at the existing factory amp and add an output converter :https://www.crutchfield.com/S-uwIwiv...0aAnIhEALw_wcB
      How will the amplifier know when to turn on/off? Is there a remote wire to connect?

Quote Originally Posted by M3FSQ View Post
      How will the amplifier know when to turn on/off? Is there a remote wire to connect?
      If you are going to the effort to add a subwoofer, then you likely want to listen to music when driving. Probably always.

So just use a switched ignition source (available on the REM) as the control wire to turn the amp on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by M3FSQ View Post
      If you use the output converter @robtr8 linked, it provides a "12-volt turn-on lead output".
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Contrast Works Stage 2 tune with Eco Enhance mode, Snabb fresh air pipe and downpipe, custom triple resonated catback, HEICO (BMC) sport air filter, Bilstein B4 front struts with HEICO rear struts and lowering springs, IPD Swaybars, strut brace conversion kit, and subframe bushing inserts. Fast FC05 20x8.5 with 255/45/20 Conti DWS06. Falken HS449 235/65/17 winters. JL 500/1 with Pioneer TS-SWX2502 subwoofer under cargo tray. LED low/hi beams, Tuxmats.

Junior Member generic_volvo_driver's Avatar
      I tapped into the left and right D pillar tweeters.
      This video was a great help:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXaHmnPnMX0
      Me:
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 150k km
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package, climate package) 30k km
      1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (2+2, T-top, Aztec Red, collector plates) 80k km
      Family members:
      2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package) 96k km

The LC2i has GTO. Click and read the "details" tab on the Crutchfield page.
      2006 XC90 V8, AVH-3300NEX, PDX-F4(X2), M12, GB10, GB25, AR6K, GB12D4(X2), custom exhaust, Verde A/S Plus 107V/Ronal RT, IPD bars.
      2008 328xi, AVH-X7800BT, GM-D8604 & D9605, MT-230, GB40, XE 200, 12" Primo, Musicar NW box, S-04/Ventoso's, Sottozero 3/185's.
      2011 XC60 T6 RD, DWS/20" Cratus, IPD rear. 1980 TR8​, MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, 8" L7T(X2), NT05 on Revolution Wheels.

BACKGROUND: I recently bought this car. The sunroof had been leaking through the drain tubes into floor area underneath the passenger seat. I sucked out over 3 gallons of water out of the basin below the passenger seat. It was after my audio system started tripping out that I noticed the water sloshing underneath the seat. I've since repaired the drain tubes, and aired out the area underneath the seat. The audio system is back working again after the wires/factory amplifier aired out. That said. I just noticed that my left rear door and left rear (pillar) tweeter do not play any audio. The rear right tweeter sounds soft and pitchy to me. It could just be the difference in left/right song notes that is making it sound pitchy like it is almost in and out?? I switched the rear left tweeter into the rear right slot and it works fine, so something must be wrong with the wiring or factory amplifier to the rear left side of the vehicle? Front speakers work fine.

OK, so I'm having some problems when trying to set up the aftermarket amplifier and subwoofer...

I tapped into the right rear pillar tweeter for the LOC(the same tweeter that I'm not sure if it has a perfect signal??). I tapped into the rear 12v wire for the REM.

My amplifier is ON, even when the car is turned off, no key, locked. So REM connection is not turning on/off.

The subwoofer is playing/moving but at an extremely low level, even after amplifier controls are turned to max output.

I noticed that when I bang the rear left passenger door with my hand, the subwoofer plays bass (without music playing) pretty loud(much much louder than it is from music), reacting directly to whatever signal the pounding sends to it. I'm guessing this is something obvious to someone who knows what they're doing more than I do.

I had similar issue. Was initially disappointed with the subwoofer output. Turns out my connections were bad. Go back and verify both positive and negative from each side are connected properly and you have continuity to the amp.

I had one connection each side broken. When I discovered it, and reconnected, the sub was over driven, had to turn the amp back down.

What LOC are you using?
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Contrast Works Stage 2 tune with Eco Enhance mode, Snabb fresh air pipe and downpipe, custom triple resonated catback, HEICO (BMC) sport air filter, Bilstein B4 front struts with HEICO rear struts and lowering springs, IPD Swaybars, strut brace conversion kit, and subframe bushing inserts. Fast FC05 20x8.5 with 255/45/20 Conti DWS06. Falken HS449 235/65/17 winters. JL 500/1 with Pioneer TS-SWX2502 subwoofer under cargo tray. LED low/hi beams, Tuxmats.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN XC90 View Post
      I had similar issue. Was initially disappointed with the subwoofer output. Turns out my connections were bad. Go back and verify both positive and negative from each side are connected properly and you have continuity to the amp.

I had one connection each side broken. When I discovered it, and reconnected, the sub was over driven, had to turn the amp back down.

What LOC are you using?
      Thanks. I'll recheck all my connections.

The LOC I'm using is PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC Line Out Converter

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements