How to Determine Age of Car Battery? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      What Camera Model are you running?
      Anker C2 Pro. I didn't want an unknown brand and Anker's power circuitry is known for being excellent.

The camera I run (A129 Duo) has Low Bitrate recording in parking mode - Records in real time while parked, in "lesser quality". The problem with motion detection is three fold. One you mentioned that it can be way to sensitive for no good reason. The second is these event captures only activate if an "event occurs". Meaning if I back up into your car, it will activate after the fact. Meaning you'll miss the moment I hit your car. But might capture me driving away, giving you less evidence to prove what happened. Third, your camera probably operates via a super capacitor. Meaning since it only stores a limited amount of power to capture events, since there is no current to replenish the energy usage.
      The C2 Pro uses an integrated lithium ion battery for its parking mode; it has enough juice for about an hour of total recording.

I would think 50% would be a reasonable cut off? Other choice is 75% but my battery is definitely past that point. I was told by an ASE mechanic friend that car should have no issues starting at 50%, to which I have never experienced a problem.
      The issue isn't being unable to start the car. The issue is long term battery lifespan reduction. Automotive batteries are designed to give high current for a short duration and to be immediately recharged by a vehicle's charging system. They are designed to spend their lives between 80% and 100% state of charge. If you want a battery that is designed to drop down to 50% charge regularly you should be using a deep cycle battery.

However, I do agree that a constant energy draw will decrease the lifespan of the battery. I accept this fact and all the caveats that follow because:

1. My camera has come in handy twice now (Not Parking Mode) - Normal Driving.

2. A prime anecdotal experience of why parking mode is worth while. ~15 Years ago (before dash cameras), my grandparents were parked at their health club. They come out to find their car suffered moderate damage. Some lady while reversing plowed into the back of their vehicle, and drove off. Luckily, the health club had a security camera facing the parking lot, and the person was able to be identified.

There are plenty of A-Holes out there, who would choose to never leave a note, if they are able to drive off "without being seen".
      The parking situation you describe is why I carry uninsured motorist on my insurance. It is vastly easier to make a hit and run claim and pay the $100 uninsured deductible than to waste my time tracking down someone from camera evidence. It's simply not worth the hours of time that would take.

In normal driving, I like having the evidence, but I I'm not about to shorten my battery's life by adding a 500 milliamp parasitic draw when the ignition is off. Hence the decision to use a switched circuit. The benefit just isn't there for something that might occur once every 2 decades.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      The parking situation you describe is why I carry uninsured motorist on my insurance. It is vastly easier to make a hit and run claim and pay the $100 uninsured deductible than to waste my time tracking down someone from camera evidence. It's simply not worth the hours of time that would take.

In normal driving, I like having the evidence, but I I'm not about to shorten my battery's life by adding a 500 milliamp parasitic draw when the ignition is off. Hence the decision to use a switched circuit. The benefit just isn't there for something that might occur once every 2 decades.
      This is the part where I completely agree with you, but remind you of who we're talking to.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post

This is the part where I completely agree with you, but remind you of who we're talking to.
      You're talking to someone who has spoken to his insurance agent firsthand and been told a claim is a claim comprehensive or not at fault.

Why should I be on the hook for someone else's irresponsibility if I can capture the person on video and either file through their insurance or have mine subrogate against at fault.

Mr. Money Bags, you volunteering to pay my premiums for claims?

Already got one claim from kid who rear ended my car and had state minimum insurance via underinsured. Didnt bother filing debris through comprehensive. Agent was very up front that claim can affect rates. Even if illegal in my state to raise due to not at fault collisions. They'll hide it under terms of "Industry Hikes"

Maybe I should remember whom I'm talking to...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

You're talking to someone who has spoken to his insurance agent firsthand and been told a claim is a claim comprehensive or not at fault.

Why should I be on the hook for someone else's irresponsibility if I can capture the person on video and either file through their insurance or have mine subrogate against at fault.

Already got one claim from kid who rear ended my car and had state minimum insurance via underinsured. Didnt bother filing debris through comprehensive. Agent was very up front that claim can affect rates. Even if illegal in my state to raise due to not at fault collisions. They'll hide it under terms of "Industry Hikes"

A not at fault claim will not raise your rates unless you're making not at fault claims every couple of months with regularity. Your agent is either wrong or, much more likely, you have misunderstood what he was saying.

I had 3 not-at-fault accidents in a 4 year period not very long ago and my rates did not change any more than they had been changing through regular fluctuations. In two of those years my rates went *down*.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

A not at fault claim will not raise your rates unless you're making not at fault claims every couple of months with regularity. Your agent is either wrong or, much more likely, you have misunderstood what he was saying.

I had 3 not-at-fault accidents in a 4 year period not very long ago and my rates did not change any more than they had been changing through regular fluctuations. In two of those years my rates went *down*.
      Spoke to my agent numerous times regarding filing not at fault under underinsured and the debris under comprehensive.

I was told verbatim a claim is a claim. Illegal in my state to raise rates, but past experience they mask increase as being industry hike .

FYI my agent also told me because there was a past no fault accident a few years ago where there was a pay out for a family member that we were also at risk of being dropped potentially if claims continued. According to the agent there was a 999% loss ratio associated with our policy due to payouts.

I understood my agent perfectly
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 02-19-2020 at 09:21 PM.

In any of your no fault accidents were you injured and were their medical payouts? As I said our policy has a 999% loss ratio according to my adjuster. That can be the prime difference between your no fault accidents and our policy where one of the no fault accident claims came to about 50 or $60000.

And because family number opted to not get surgery on a torn rotator cuff, that was on the cheap side. Otherwise it would have been A policy Max claim.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 02-19-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Anker C2 Pro. I didn't want an unknown brand and Anker's power circuitry is known for being excellent.
      I agree. There are some things not worth cutting corners on and Dash Cameras are one of those devices. I don't want so no name piece of junk failing at a critical time of need!

The C2 Pro uses an integrated lithium ion battery for its parking mode; it has enough juice for about an hour of total recording.
      How does the lithium battery hold up in extreme hot and cold environments? Cars can easily reach 150-170 degrees in a hot summer. And cold in winters.

The issue isn't being unable to start the car. The issue is long term battery lifespan reduction. Automotive batteries are designed to give high current for a short duration and to be immediately recharged by a vehicle's charging system. They are designed to spend their lives between 80% and 100% state of charge. If you want a battery that is designed to drop down to 50% charge regularly you should be using a deep cycle battery.
      Understood now. I guess my rationale is similar to one posted above. Let's say a new car battery is $300 and lasts 6 years. If my battery dies in 4 years, then I have spent an extra $100. So every 10 years, it'll cost me an extra $500. Chances are in those 10 years, something will happen to offset that loss.

I definitely carry comprehensive. If you remember me posting about the flying object that hit my car, I was going to file under comprehensive until my agent pretty my told me a claim is a claim and anything can cause my rates to go up or cause me to get dropped. She highlighted the fact my policy has a 999% payout ratio due to prior claims where accidents were not our fault but an uninsured cause serious bodily injury (torn rotator cuff, severe bruising, etc). Among other claims.

I'd say if the incident is caught on Camera, there's no hours involved I either turn video over to at fault's insurance (as I did in my wreck) and then retained a lawyer. Or if at fault has run or has no insurance, the police and my carrier. Let them do the leg work. Spending an hour tracking someone down that gave me erroneous information wasn't a pain but not life altering. I'm very persistent (as if it's not obvious) when I've set my mind to a task.

I get your concern both financially and statistically. I guess it's comparable to having a family history of an illness. You can't control the things around you, but you can take preventative measures. I believe having a camera while driving or parked mitigates my exposure to other drivers on the road. Some might feel differently about taking such measures (including owning a camera or utilizing parking mode).
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 02-20-2020 at 12:29 AM.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2