Diagnostics scanners
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Diagnostics scanners

I know a lot of you probably have the Volvo dice and VIDA software... Although it seems to be incredible diagnostics once it is up and running, I am not so sure I want to go through that hassle. Also I prefer but not required, to have something that would work on my 2018 Audi.

Wondering is anyone uses the following and ask to share your thoughts..

Icarsoft CR 2.0 (loads up to 10 manufacturers)

Autel maxidiag MD808 pro

Vident iLink400 (volvo)

Thanks for any info

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am in the same dilema, and started a similar thread somewhere below.
      Our car is still CPO so I dont think I want to hack VD to get it to work. I am leaning toward the CR2 as they cover a range of makes and provide updates without subscription. I also have a few different makes so this would be a versitile setup.
      If your car is a pre 2015 you could run VD and then get Ross Tech scanner for the Audi. The RT is a fantastic Audi tool. Might add an older bmw to the stable so thus stops me from having 3+ car specific solutions.

If you're not completely against VIDA and not computer savvy like myself you can check out "Volvo VIDA Laptops" on Facebook. I recently sent one of my older laptops to him to have all the software installed. You can then order one of the Chinese DICE units off eBay and you'll be up and running.
      2015 XC60 T6
      2015 XC60 3.2
      2013 C30 T5
      2008 XC70 3.2

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks for the comments.

I have taken a leap of faith and ordered a dice unit.... however I have a few weeks to put a laptop together. I have an old dedicated laptop for this project. It came with win8.1 but I have an old copy of windows 7 “home premium”. I wiped it clean with the win7 install and IE9. It has 3.5 dot(net) on it. I do still have a couple of driver issues (Comm controller and bus controller) to work out. Although everything seems to work fine.

I found a copy online. I went to install it and it got to the requirements check.. it went through 4 things (I think hard drive (500gb), memory (6gb ...) the blue indicator went all the way to end and gave me a message something to the effect of “one or more of the checks didn’t meet the VIDA requirements..”

I suspect it is something with the drivers or maybe because it is Home and not Pro... I’ll work out the drivers first.

Appreciate the Ross Tech info. I hadn’t seen that.. but have been looking at the OBDEleven.

Thanks all.. more to follow

I just purchased an Icarsoft VOL V2 for the newer cars as I won't be using it for anything but Volvo's and I don't own any Saab's that are also covered.

I also have VIDA for the older cars that I've used maybe a dozen times and after using the Icarsoft for a couple of things it's a lot more user friendly than VIDA, at least my set-up on an old laptop that takes forever to load. I am not computer literate in the least so going in and changing the database to accommodate newer cars on VIDA was not going to happen, at least for me.

I will go out to the garage hook up Icarsoft, scan the issues and be back in the house in half the time it takes to just get VIDA booted up and running.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

What all will the Icarsoft do? It's been hard to get the details from their site.

I agree that VIDA/DICE is the best way to go by a very big margin. But like many, mine's on an old laptop that takes awhile to boot up. A "lite" tool is handy.

I also have a Bluetooth dongle and Torque Pro on my phone. Handy for the seemingly random P0420/P0430 codes that come up once every other month with the XC90.
      Too many cars...
      1987 Volvo 245
      1989 Volvo 245
      1991 Volvo 745 Dog Waggin' 2.0
      1995 Volvo 945 Turbo
      2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD
      2013 Volvo XC60 3.2 AWD (Wife-mobile)

Quote Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
      What all will the Icarsoft do? It's been hard to get the details from their site.

I agree that VIDA/DICE is the best way to go by a very big margin. But like many, mine's on an old laptop that takes awhile to boot up. A "lite" tool is handy.

I also have a Bluetooth dongle and Torque Pro on my phone. Handy for the seemingly random P0420/P0430 codes that come up once every other month with the XC90.
      You'll have to do some digging between their site, youtube reviews, and amazon to get a general idea of the capabilities and all of the modules that it covers - it's pretty extensive.

This go around I was specifically interested in the Park Assist Module ("PAM") and sure enough in a minute it told me which sensor had failed.

I got it mainly for service light resets, electronic parking brake, battery monitoring reset, and other random CEL's.

I have three cars that aren't covered by VIDA 2014D now so to get this thing for $145 is a no-brainer IMHO.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT

I agree with all. I liked what I read on all three of the units in my OP. But I did see where people did say that not everything worked as advertised hence why I was wanting some feedback.

I have opted for the Vida... cuss cuss kick kick ... we shall see.. lol ..

I am previously tech savvy. Today not so much... just not relevant with it anymore. Nor do I have the patience like I used to. So time will tell.. I will give it about three weeks until dice unit comes in.. if I don’t get it connected fairly easy, I will either return to amazon or sell it here. Then I will get the Icarsoft or Autel.

I use Carista for my Volvo and audi. It's a $30 bluetooth unit that connects to the app on my phone. It just reads codes and I can reset them.

Quote Originally Posted by 355 lbft View Post
      I use Carista for my Volvo and audi. It's a $30 bluetooth unit that connects to the app on my phone. It just reads codes and I can reset them.
      Thanks for sharing. I should add that I do have car scanner pro app that does provide a ton of info of information to include codes/reset codes. However it does not reset anything maintenance related. I do like to do most of my own maintenance. Not resetting something (battery) already got me once... it took 15 months to show it’s ugly face.

I have VIDA/DICE but no longer able to use it without an old laptop. What specific functions do the above scanners perform on Volvos besides OBD II codes?

I needed something quick for my CA smog check, so picked up the Bluedriver for $99 on Amazon. Arrived the next day and was able to identify a bad VVT solenoid and it accurately suggested the correct fix. Then I drove the car while monitoring all smog diagnostics until it was ready to pass the CA emissions test. Bluetooth integration with iPhone X is very clean and automatic. A big leap from my old OBD II reader that only reads and clears codes. Bluedriver does the following: Reads & Clears Codes, gives common Repair Reports, Mode 6 (not sure what this is), Freeze Frame data for codes, and Live Data monitoring for each system. It has Enhanced Diagnostics for other manufacturers like ABS, airbags and climate control, but not for Volvo. I asked tech support if they had plans for enhanced Volvo functions, who only replied they would if Volvo gave them enhanced license rights.

I did not compare the Bluedriver to other Volvo-specific options before purchase. So, do all of the above scanners have enhanced license rights from Volvo? Is there a list of what they specifically can do for Volvos?
      Last edited by blindkarma; 02-20-2020 at 03:56 PM.
      2008 S80 3.2, Sport and Climate packages, Barents Blue.
      2014 XC60 T6 AWD Premier Plus with Polestar, Rich Java.

Quote Originally Posted by blindkarma View Post
      I have VIDA/DICE but no longer able to use it without an old laptop. What specific functions do the above scanners perform on Volvos besides OBD II codes?
      I did not compare the Bluedriver to other Volvo-specific options before purchase. So, do all of the above scanners have enhanced license rights from Volvo? Is there a list of what they specifically can do for Volvos?
      Yes supposedly... they will do abs, steering angle, throttle alignment, BMS resets along with a few others.

Does the iCarsoft get its power from the OBDII socket? Batteries? Rechargeable? It is nice to have a "lite" version, and at $150, the iCarsoft seems a no-brainer.

The rub with VIDA on an old, dedicated laptop is that you must first charge up the laptop, then boot the laptop, and wait for VIDA to initialize before you can do anything. I have yet to try and run VIDA on a virtual machine on a faster computer.

That said, you really do need VIDA. VIDA on a cheap old laptop will pay for itself first problem.

Example: Anti-skid problem on the 2011 XC90. I could reproduce the problem repeatedly with the steering wheel, so I was 99% sure that the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) was the problem. Still, $250 part. Supposedly, another $200 for "software". VIDA let me plot all of the signals in and out of the SAS. I could demonstrate without a doubt that the SAS was the problem. Furthermore, once I had the new part installed, all was well. I could then query the Brake Control Module (BCM) to be sure that the SAS was sending the data downstream properly. It was. Car was happy. No codes. No need for software. Furthermore, since the car was under a 30 day warranty, and the SAS is the airbag's clock spring, I got the dealership (a Jeep dealership) we bought it from to cut me a check for the part... though I had to play a little hardball to get there. In short, what would have been a $1000 dealership fix was a $0 fix. Laptop was $300.

Thanks for asking the question, and thanks to all for the info!

-Ryan
      Last edited by RyanR; 02-22-2020 at 09:16 AM.
      Too many cars...
      1987 Volvo 245
      1989 Volvo 245
      1995 Volvo 945 Turbo
      2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD

Does the iCarsoft get its power from the OBDII socket? Batteries? Rechargeable? It is nice to have a "lite" version, and at $150, the iCarsoft seems a no-brainer.

The rub with VIDA on an old, dedicated laptop is that you must first charge up the laptop, then boot the laptop, and wait for VIDA to initialize before you can do anything. I have yet to try and run VIDA on a virtual machine on a faster computer.
      Icarsoft gets its power from the OBD2 port. I've only used it a couple of times thus far but it was almost laughable how quick it was in comparison to the process I'd have to go through if I used VIDA. This is compounded a bit by the sorry state of my VIDA laptop situation - old, slow, wonky keyboard, etc.

Junior Member generic_volvo_driver's Avatar
      This might fit the bill for you: https://d5t5.com/article/vdash-volvo-diagnostic
      Me:
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 150k km
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package, climate package) 30k km
      1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (2+2, T-top, Aztec Red, collector plates) 80k km
      Family members:
      2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package) 96k km

Quote Originally Posted by generic_volvo_driver View Post
      This might fit the bill for you: https://d5t5.com/article/vdash-volvo-diagnostic
      Thanks.. will definitely be checking this out..

I got myself a LAUNCH X431 mini. It worked perfectly on my XC60s. It basically can do anythings that you may want to do as a DIYer. The unit is based on Android, the interface is very smooth and user friendly. The software got updated regularly so I assume it will work well with all the latest models of any manufacturers. You have 2 years of free update after registering the unit.
      2015.5 XC60 3.0 T6 Platinum
      2016 XC60 3.0 T6 Platinum + P*

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Icarsoft gets its power from the OBD2 port. I've only used it a couple of times thus far but it was almost laughable how quick it was in comparison to the process I'd have to go through if I used VIDA. This is compounded a bit by the sorry state of my VIDA laptop situation - old, slow, wonky keyboard, etc.
      THANKS!!

This totally fits the bill. Looks like I can set the the parking brake to "service mode" with the iCarsoft. This is great, as it means my wife can help out with the button pushing when I change the brake pads on her XC60 from whatever dusty pads are on there now (Genuine, I suspect) to Akebonos. Nice to have a "clean" helper so I don't track whatever grease/grime is on my overalls onto her light tan interior.

I have VIDA on a nice ol' Toughbook, but it's a lengthy process to get that machine going.

Thanks again!

-Ryan
      Too many cars...
      1987 Volvo 245
      1989 Volvo 245
      1995 Volvo 945 Turbo
      2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD

Can anyone verify that the icarsoft will do battery coding/reset?

Quote Originally Posted by FR_XC60 View Post
      I don’t have one, but the icarsoft mentioned in my OP is supposed to reset the battery date. I don’t believe there is any coding to it.

The BMS can be manually reset with a series of button pushes. See video below. I have verified this resets the “last BMS rest to zero days” in my 2015.5 xc60 2.0.

https://youtu.be/iu9z5m78Szw

Apparently it does though I've had mine for only a week and have not had the need to reset the BMS.

One thing I did learn in my research that I don't think has come up is that it does not have the ability to reset the transmission fluid counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Apparently it does though I've had mine for only a week and have not had the need to reset the BMS.

One thing I did learn in my research that I don't think has come up is that it does not have the ability to reset the transmission fluid counter.
      Well bugger, trans counter reset was the first use for this tool.

With the CPO warranty for a few more years on the wifes car, I am not sure I want to go the cracked VD route. I have a feeling these cars keep tabs on connections to scan tools. With my luck I would reset the trans and screw something else up.

Not sure what tools to check out next. After the icarsoft there is either vehicle specific tools or a huge jump into the pro models. Not sure a pro tool is financially justifiable.

Well bugger, trans counter reset was the first use for this tool.

With the CPO warranty for a few more years on the wifes car, I am not sure I want to go the cracked VD route. I have a feeling these cars keep tabs on connections to scan tools. With my luck I would reset the trans and screw something else up.

Not sure what tools to check out next. After the icarsoft there is either vehicle specific tools or a huge jump into the pro models. Not sure a pro tool is financially justifiable.
      FYI.... great tutorial on the trans flush and reset if needed: https://youtu.be/EAb9p8Wph-M

Also, I dont blame you for not wanting to go the VIDA route.... however, I am ending up trying it. If you do decide to do it, I will recommend following the RickHaleParker thread (matthewsvolvo forum) on how to install it on Windows10. Was really easy and it should work fine as soon as my dice unit comes in. Im ready to hook it up now

Note: The Vident scanner in the original post is supposed to be able to reset the tranny..
      Last edited by VovoXC60; 02-25-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Perfect topic at the perfect time. I was lucky enough to get the cel and the related code was the horrific P0420. Used a generic odb to get the code.
      Car is a 2010 T6 xc60 with 113,000 on her. Bought her used at 73,000 and have had no issues so far. Always use premium gas.
      Riddle me this my Brick driving Batmen.... P0420 is a wide generic code, any software or readers out there that can nail down the specific problem? Possible O2 sensor that has gone postal.... Trying to pin it down.
      Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks, your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by stevobags View Post
      Perfect topic at the perfect time. I was lucky enough to get the cel and the related code was the horrific P0420. Used a generic odb to get the code.
      Car is a 2010 T6 xc60 with 113,000 on her. Bought her used at 73,000 and have had no issues so far. Always use premium gas.
      Riddle me this my Brick driving Batmen.... P0420 is a wide generic code, any software or readers out there that can nail down the specific problem? Possible O2 sensor that has gone postal.... Trying to pin it down.
      Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks, your mileage may vary.

Clear the code and see if it returns. I get a P0420 once every 2-3 months on the 3.2L XC90. Hard to pin down a cause if intermittent.

-Ryan
      Too many cars...
      1987 Volvo 245
      1989 Volvo 245
      1995 Volvo 945 Turbo
      2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD

Clear the code and see if it returns. I get a P0420 once every 2-3 months on the 3.2L XC90. Hard to pin down a cause if intermittent.

-Ryan
      Agreed. I’m just a little paranoid due to the issues I’ve had with my Honda Pilot. Thanks!

“Your mileage may vary”

Well the dice unit was a no-go. I couldn’t get the one I bought to work. I feel pretty lucky though, the support the provided was good and they gave me a full refund and got to keep the unit. So I am not quite giving up on it just yet. I may even try it again but with the full chip??? Not sure what that does.

So back to the drawing board.. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by VovoXC60 View Post
      Well the dice unit was a no-go. I couldn’t get the one I bought to work. I feel pretty lucky though, the support the provided was good and they gave me a full refund and got to keep the unit. So I am not quite giving up on it just yet. I may even try it again but with the full chip??? Not sure what that does.

So back to the drawing board.. lol.
      Have you tried another DICE supplier? Odd. I had to update the firmware on mine to get it to work.

-Ryan
      Too many cars...
      1987 Volvo 245
      1989 Volvo 245
      1995 Volvo 945 Turbo
      2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD

Have you tried another DICE supplier? Odd. I had to update the firmware on mine to get it to work.

-Ryan
      I have not...... I would update the firmware if a darn USB would recognize it? I just took it apart.... did not seee anything obvious, but sometimes things can be weird and it magically be fixed. time will tell....LOL

32. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements