Tires, what tires you like?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

With 25k miles, the factory tires (Continental Cross Contact) has gone from 9/32 to 4/32 left. So in another 5k to 10k miles I will need new tires, by next winter.

One tire got a little leak, lost 6psi in 3 weeks. But discounttire folks don't see anything wrong. They found the foam is loose and took it out and mount back the tire. Will see how the leak goes.

I see Continental Extreme Contact has many good reviews at discounttire.com. Seems a good choice to me. Price is $193 reasonable, and have $70 rebate for 4 as for now. 50k miles warranty

So what tires you like, all-season m+s, prefer to comfort, quiet over performance.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      With 25k miles, the factory tires (Continental Cross Contact) has gone from 9/32 to 4/32 left. So in another 5k to 10k miles I will need new tires, by next winter.

One tire got a little leak, lost 6psi in 3 weeks. But discounttire folks don't see anything wrong. They found the foam is loose and took it out and mount back the tire. Will see how the leak goes.

I see Continental Extreme Contact has many good reviews at discounttire.com. Seems a good choice to me. Price is $193 reasonable, and have $70 rebate for 4 as for now. 50k miles warranty

So what tires you like, all-season m+s, prefer to comfort, quiet over performance.

I have 16,800K on my original tires and have a leaky tire that Discount tire has plugged twice. Still leaks 5-7 lbs a week. I'm waiting until 20K to buy new tires, probably Continentals as I want a smooth ride and long life. The ones I'm looking at are the Tru Contact Tour with an 80K mileage rating for $195.00 each. I've had good luck with Continentals before and they seem to be more quiet than Michelins I've used before on different cars. But, Michelins are great tires too.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

We switched from the OEM Michelin’s to these Cooper Tires:

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-srx

They perform better than the Michelin’s and are quieter with more precise cornering.

We like them. They work for us!

You’ll get many varied recommendations here
      There are another couple of posts that recommend varied tires.

The Cooper SRX have a high scoring UTQG and cover speed and load ratings easily
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unif...uality_Grading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1990 Nissan Skyline
      1998 Suzuki Grand Vitara
      2000 Mitsubishi Magna
      1992 80 Series Landcruiser GLX with 4.2ltr Turbo Diesel and 4 speed Auto - unbelievable tourer on and off road
      2002 Toyota Echo - went from Toyota's biggest to smallest!
      2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara
      2004 Mitsubishi Magna Station Wagon
      1991 80 Series Toyota Landcruiser Turbo Diesel 5 speed manual - terrible purchase...
      2006 Mitsubishi Magna
      2004 Nissan Elgrande Starwagon
      2010 Nissan Skyline - an awesome car
      Current:
      2013 Toyota RAV 4 GLX Cruiser
      2016 Volvo XC90 Inscription

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My experience last year....
      The original tire was... Continental CrossContact LX Sport 255/45 R20
      Replaced by Continental EXTREME CONTACT DWS 06 - 255/45 R20.
      ....on my 2018 XC60 T6.

The noise from the EXTREME CONTACT DWS led me to revert back to original CrossContacts with the foam. The EXTREMEs seemed to handle a bit better though.

See my full thread here.
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-to-a-pot-hole!

Originals were Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season.
      I wasn't happy with their performance in snow/ice conditions so I replaced them with Vredestein Quatrac 5 XL and I'm very happy with them.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Foam?
      2019 XC60 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey | Advanced Package | Polestar | Air Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by VeeXCee View Post
      My experience last year....
      The original tire was... Continental CrossContact LX Sport 255/45 R20
      Replaced by Continental EXTREME CONTACT DWS 06 - 255/45 R20.
      ....on my 2018 XC60 T6.

The noise from the EXTREME CONTACT DWS led me to revert back to original CrossContacts with the foam. The EXTREMEs seemed to handle a bit better though.

See my full thread here.
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-to-a-pot-hole!
      Maybe I'd stick to the original CrossContact LX Sport for the less noise. But it only lasts 30k miles, seems less than expected though the car is heavy.
      Can't find Cooper Discoverer SRX for my T8 though.

Michelin is more expensive but didn't read much review on them. Not sure if it is what I want.

There are other good brands like Yokohama, Kuhmo but report of experience is much less on heavy XC60 T8.

For example, Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S seems is quiet and 55k warranty. It is on clearance with $70 off each at tirerack.com for now.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 02-17-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by .LMS. View Post
      Foam?
      Foam is on the inner lining of tire. Tesla also has spec'd the Continental's ContiSilent version. There are versions of Continental CrossContact WITHOUT the foam as well.

from TireRack:
      "Limited sizes of the CrossContact LX Sport are available with Continental's ContiSilent Technology, which involves the manufacturer adhering a layer of sound-absorbing foam to the inner liner of the tire to reduce cabin noise in the vehicle."

Sorry... I didn’t see this was in SPA XC60 forum
      The coopers are on a XC90...

What size tires are on your car?

1990 Nissan Skyline
      1998 Suzuki Grand Vitara
      2000 Mitsubishi Magna
      1992 80 Series Landcruiser GLX with 4.2ltr Turbo Diesel and 4 speed Auto - unbelievable tourer on and off road
      2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara
      1991 80 Series Toyota Landcruiser Turbo Diesel 5 speed manual - terrible purchase...
      2006 Mitsubishi Magna
      Current:

Quote Originally Posted by brett_xc90 View Post
      Sorry... I didn’t see this was in SPA XC60 forum
      The coopers are on a XC90...

What size tires are on your car?

255/45R20

255/45R20

Hmmmm. Interesting.
      The closest in the Cooper is 255/50R20...so it would be 1/2” taller than the 45’s...don’t go there though, if you’re thinking, “what’s ˝ an inch”
      Speedo.
      More side roll when cornering.
      Braking.

It’s a shame ‘coz I reckon you’d enjoy the coopers.

1990 Nissan Skyline
      1998 Suzuki Grand Vitara
      2000 Mitsubishi Magna
      2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara
      2006 Mitsubishi Magna
      Current:

Quote Originally Posted by brett_xc90 View Post
      Hmmmm. Interesting.
      The closest in the Cooper is 255/50R20...so it would be 1/2” taller than the 45’s...don’t go there though, if you’re thinking, “what’s ˝ an inch”
      Speedo.
      More side roll when cornering.
      Braking.

It’s a shame ‘coz I reckon you’d enjoy the coopers.

Thanks, no worries. I better stick to the factory spec for tires to keep my warranty happy. Want to try the Yohohama ADVAN Sport in clearance, but I will wait till end of year to replace them. Can't buy now and store them in my garage then carry them to installer.

Love my Conti DWS06. Wearing well, excellent dry/wet grip, and pretty passable winter/snow/ice grip for an all season. Less noisy than the OEM pirelli scorpions and slightly softer ride as well. Other than being a bit expensive, haven't seen any downsides yet.
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

Quote Originally Posted by shammyh View Post
      Love my Conti DWS06. Wearing well, excellent dry/wet grip, and pretty passable winter/snow/ice grip for an all season. Less noisy than the OEM pirelli scorpions and slightly softer ride as well. Other than being a bit expensive, haven't seen any downsides yet.
      Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06? Seems opinion varies on noise level from other posts.

If you drive in a lot of wet weather, Michelin Premier LTX. We put them on and live in Florida. Very wet here. Handling is awesome! Very confident in the rain. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
      If you drive in a lot of wet weather, Michelin Premier LTX. We put them on and live in Florida. Very wet here. Handling is awesome! Very confident in the rain. Tom
      This has been my go-to tire on other SUVs, but I'm concerned with the lack of noise-suppression-foam... The XC60 is already quite "loud" for a premium SUV and I'd hate to end up with even more road noise.

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      This has been my go-to tire on other SUVs, but I'm concerned with the lack of noise-suppression-foam... The XC60 is already quite "loud" for a premium SUV and I'd hate to end up with even more road noise.
      That foam is more problems then help.

Maybe I'd stick to the original CrossContact LX Sport for the less noise. But it only lasts 30k miles, seems less than expected though the car is heavy.
      Can't find Cooper Discoverer SRX for my T8 though.

Michelin is more expensive but didn't read much review on them. Not sure if it is what I want.

There are other good brands like Yokohama, Kuhmo but report of experience is much less on heavy XC60 T8.

For example, Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S seems is quiet and 55k warranty. It is on clearance with $70 off each at tirerack.com for now.
      I would not recommend Yoko's ADVAN Sport A/S. I had them on my S60, they wore well, but were VERY noisy. Original CrossContact LX on my XC60 T8 are soft and compliant, but worn almost completely out in less than 19Kmiles. I am going with either Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 or General GMAX AS-05.
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

Quote Originally Posted by genesmasher View Post
      I would not recommend Yoko's ADVAN Sport A/S. I had them on my S60, they wore well, but were VERY noisy. Original CrossContact LX on my XC60 T8 are soft and compliant, but worn almost completely out in less than 19Kmiles. I am going with either Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 or General GMAX AS-05.
      Thanks for the info. General GMAX AS-05 seems a valid choice, and much cheaper.

Thanks for the info. General GMAX AS-05 seems a valid choice, and much cheaper.
      Yep. They spec really well by the looks of it.
      A high UTQG (500AA) and a 10/32 tread depth. Backed up with 50K mile warranty.
      A lot of the more expensive brands seemed to have low scoring UTQG (320 and below)

1990 Nissan Skyline
      1998 Suzuki Grand Vitara
      2000 Mitsubishi Magna
      2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara
      2006 Mitsubishi Magna
      Current:

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06? Seems opinion varies on noise level from other posts.
      Correct, the Extreme Contact DWS 06.

They're definitely quieter (and have remained so) than the OEM Pirelli Scorpions on my XC60. Probably a bit louder than the Pirellis (forget which model, but maybe Scorpion as well?) that are OEM on my S60 T6 Inscription, but those have that acoustic foam, which while lowering noise, seems to come with its own drawbacks.

I think any top tier tire really should be pretty good these days?

I leaned towards the DWS 06 for two reasons: exceptional hyrdoplaning/wet traction, and better-than-most all-seasons winter traction.

For context, I live in the north east, and while people generally calm down a bit in a big snow storm, Bostonians seem to find heavy rain as a reason to drive even faster. Have had several 75-0 braking "exercises" on MA highways.

So when I've really needed the most performance in my experience, has been slippery/rainy/but-not-actually-snowing conditions. Hence where the DWS excels.
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

I'm at about 16K with no issues. I think when the time comes I'm going again with the original Continental. No reason to change, since I don't see anything mentioned that makes me want to change.

And by the way, the DWS are cheaper than the Cross Contact.
      Last edited by Eldorado; 02-23-2020 at 04:57 PM.
      2018 Fusion Red/Amber Nappa Leather XC60 Inscription T6 Polestar® B&W Premium Sound, Convenience, Vision, Advance and Luxury Packages, with stainless steel bumper cover.

I just replaced the factory original set of Conti Cross Contact LX Sport tires on our XC60 T8 with Conti Control Contact Sport SRS (Discount Tire exclusive model). I must say tire noise level is a bit higher, especially at highway speeds. Deep-tone drone. Ride is a touch firmer as well but tolerable, which is expected since it is an Ultra HP A/S tire (Contact LX is a GT tire). Handling is better also, less body roll in corners. Since it's my wife's daily driver, I will wait for her opinion after a few days of driving. We'll decide then whether to stick with these or go back to Discount Tire and ask them to replace with a new set of the OE tires. Of course, that would mean that we will be buying another set again in only 20K miles... As others noted, A/S tire choices in 255/45/20 size are pretty limited - most of them are high-performance tires which will have similar characteristics to the Contact Sport SRS. In other words, better handling at the expense of ride comfort/noise. As far I see, OE Conti Cross Contact LX Sport is the only model with the foam inside. Other touring tires, like Michelin Premier LTX and Pirelli Verde A/S don't have it, so they will be noisier also, most likely.

PS. As I was looking at the Discount Tire techs doing the swap, I noticed a layer of foam glued to the inside of the old tires. Presumably that's what helps to minimize the road noise. I wish Continental developed a new tire with this technology, but with better thread life... I mean the thread is only 9/32 on Contact LX, which is borderline to begin with.
      Last edited by genesmasher; 02-24-2020 at 07:06 PM.
      past:

genesmasher

“Deep-tone drone” …That is what I experienced when I switched to Conti Extreme Contacts DWS 06. I couldn’t tolerated it.

So, I took a look at the Control Contact Sport SRS that you bought from America’s tire since I curious about the tread. It is definitely more aggressive than the stock Cross Contact LX Sports. The Control Contact Sports have large shoulder block, wider grooves and a more irregular tread pattern, which all contribute to the tire noise. Then I looked at the Extreme Contacts DWS 06 that I tried and returned to America’s tire...it's a different pattern, but also wider grooves and large should blocks (the outmost section of the tread pattern). So along with the very conservative tread pattern of the OEM Cross Contact LS Sports and the added internal acoustic foam, it’s no wonder they are quieter.

I made a quick comparison image of the three Continental tires. All images from America’s Tires website. Note I did slightly scale the Extreme Contact DWS 06 image as it was some monster width size and/or photo taken with wide angle lens. So take the comparison image with a grain of salt, y'all.

Last edited by VeeXCee; 02-24-2020 at 09:54 PM.

genesmasher

“Deep-tone drone” …That is what I experienced when I switched to Conti Extreme Contacts DWS 06. I couldn’t tolerated it.

So, I took a look at the Control Contact Sport SRS that you bought from America’s tire since I curious about the tread. It is definitely more aggressive than the stock Cross Contact LX Sports. The Control Contact Sports have large shoulder block, wider grooves and a more irregular tread pattern, which all contribute to the tire noise. Then I looked at the Extreme Contacts DWS 06 that I tried and returned to America’s tire...it's a different pattern, but also wider grooves and large should blocks (the outmost section of the tread pattern). So along with the very conservative tread pattern of the OEM Cross Contact LS Sports and the added internal acoustic foam, it’s no wonder they are quieter.

I made a quick comparison image of the three Continental tires. All images from America’s Tires website. Note I did slightly scale the Extreme Contact DWS 06 image as it was some monster width size and/or photo taken with wide angle lens. So take the comparison image with a grain of salt, y'all.
      Good analysis. Rubber composition may be different also, with touring tires using softer compound. High performance tires typically have stiffer shoulders, which helps with handling. Plus the foam inside OE tires absorbs some vibration (= less noise). I'm sure Volvo chose Cross Contact LX on purpose. Most people test-driving Volvos appreciate a quiet, compliant ride more than handling ability. It just sucks that these wear out so fast, it's a nice tire really...
      past:

Sure, rubber durometer is a factor as well. I was expecting a bit quieter ride myself. but I have learned a bit with my XC.

genesmasher

Well, after driving on Contact Sport SRS for a week, I ended up going back to Discount Tire and exchanging them back to for the OEM Cross Contact LX. Hopefully this set lasts a bit longer than the original one. The difference in level of road noise and ride quality is substantial. Too bad, the SRS is a pretty attractive tire otherwise.
      past:

Depending on what size wheels you have, my favorite tires have always been the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Costco generally has them and I know they fit the Volvo 19" wheels.

Does anyone have any info on NOkian WR G$ SUV & Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. I believe both are available in 245/45-R20 for my T6 Inscription & seem to have good reviews. Tire Rack sells the Vredesteins & Discount Tire sells the Nokians. I had the Nokians on a vehicle a few years back & was impressed. I am considering these or the Conti DWS 06. Thanks.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription, Pine Grey, Maroon Brown Interior, Polestar, Advanced, Vision, Convenience, Protection, Air Suspension, B&W, etc

Quote Originally Posted by njlime View Post
      Does anyone have any info on NOkian WR G$ SUV & Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. I believe both are available in 245/45-R20 for my T6 Inscription & seem to have good reviews. Tire Rack sells the Vredesteins & Discount Tire sells the Nokians. I had the Nokians on a vehicle a few years back & was impressed. I am considering these or the Conti DWS 06. Thanks.
      I have the Quatrac 5's on my BRP Spyder. All three wheels. Awesome handling tire. Great in the rain! Check tirerack for tire ratings.

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements