Wrecked my V70 T5M
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Wrecked my V70 T5M

Less than 1000 miles on my 1998 V70 and I got myself in an accident. With only liability coverage there won't be any insurance to fix the issues so the question is whether it is worth it so save a manual wagon that I have really enjoyed driving in the short time I have owned it. There were a few other issues with the car that needed to be addressed, notably the AC not working and non-operable parking brake, which I am taking into the equation on how much to put into it vs call it a total loss.

The shop I took it to this weekend said I needed to get the frame straightened because the front end radiator mounts are shifted pretty badly. Beyond that new headlights, quarter panel and hood. The bumper is likely salvageable.

Any thoughts on the best course of action? Part it out? Take it to the junk yard?

I did find a 99 V70 5 speed near me that has a blown engine but the owner says everything else is good. Would it be a stupid idea top look into dropping my T5M engine into the shell of another V70?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Unfortunately putting the 98 drivelines in the 99 is going to be a major headache. I’m not saying it’s impossible but it’s pretty close.

You’d be better off to find any 98 shell and move the full package over to it, doing certain necessary upgrades and improvements to the basic driveline while you have it apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 202k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 295k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 240k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 215k - Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      Unfortunately putting the 98 drivelines in the 99 is going to be a major headache. I’m not saying it’s impossible but it’s pretty close.
      You’d be better off to find any 98 shell and move the full package over to it, doing certain necessary upgrades and improvements to the basic driveline while you have it apart.
      Damn that's a bummer. I guess that has me leaning towards getting rid of it. Do you think there would be anyone interested in the whole kit on the forum? I don't have the wrenching skills to do a proper part out, so path of least resistance is likely to find a buyer with the skill set to get it back up and running without having to pump a bunch of paid hours into it.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Sending you a PM.
      1998 V70 T5 M - 16T, Japanifold, custom 3" exhaust, IPD intake, do88 intercooler & piping, IPD sway bars, strut brace, and springs, Koni yellows, Porsche/R BBK, CJ's sub frame bushings, Quaife LSD, SPEC stage 2 clutch (SMF)

2005 Toyota Prius - 1996 Lexus LX450 - 1993 Volkswagen EuroVan Westfalia

that's totaled....insurance or not
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 296k.
      1997 850R Estate. RN/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 138k.

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 100k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Depends how much work you want to do. IMO junk it or sell it as-is to someone who wants it on here for whatever they'll give. As much as people on here want you to believe it's some valuable future collectible....it's just not, it's really not.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      Depends how much work you want to do. IMO junk it or sell it as-is to someone who wants it on here for whatever they'll give. As much as people on here want you to believe it's some valuable future collectible....it's just not, it's really not.
      Brings tears to my eyes.
      Current: 1998 V70 T5/S70 T5M & 2002 V70 T5
      Past: 2006 V70R GT

Quote Originally Posted by Archer111 View Post
      Brings tears to my eyes.
      Are you sure there are frame issues? Those fenders look pretty aligned with the doors for a car with a bent frame. The radiator mount areas might be bent or perhaps it's just the front part of the frame (relatively easy to straighten on a frame machine, though can get pricey). If all engine parts are still good and it's just those panels and lights, I'd be looking to get it straightened and then get a hood, fenders and such from boneyards or online. You might even find black ones. Just my thoughts.... it's not what I would call "totalled".

Future? They're valuable now. Go find me any wagon on the market that makes 250 hp with a manual that you can work on yourself. Their value is that they're cheap and still daily driver status currently. Worth buying or building while parts are still available and theyre running out fast
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 202k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 295k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 240k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 215k - Sisters

Agree with ironmike

Pop the hood open and get a tape measure out, measure in X patterns from left to right using fender bolts and other points that are fixed on each side - check cross corner distances.

Might just need a rad support, you could take it apart yourself and then have a mobile welding company come by and weld in a new rad support. Fender and bumper and hood are findable in PnP's

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      Future? They're valuable now. Go find me any wagon on the market that makes 250 hp with a manual that you can work on yourself. Their value is that they're cheap and still daily driver status currently. Worth buying or building while parts are still available and theyre running out fast
      Yup. Anything with R on it already worth huge $ anything turbo will go up eventually even if less than the Rs just due to increased rarity

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 100k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike View Post
      Are you sure there are frame issues? Those fenders look pretty aligned with the doors for a car with a bent frame. The radiator mount areas might be bent or perhaps it's just the front part of the frame (relatively easy to straighten on a frame machine, though can get pricey). If all engine parts are still good and it's just those panels and lights, I'd be looking to get it straightened and then get a hood, fenders and such from boneyards or online. You might even find black ones. Just my thoughts.... it's not what I would call "totalled".
      I may have misspoken and on the frame. My wrenching savy friend said it was the radiator mount that was bent. Still likely not something I am goign to undertake so I decided to move it on to someone more capable. Thanks for the insight

Quote Originally Posted by zak View Post
      Agree with ironmike

Pop the hood open and get a tape measure out, measure in X patterns from left to right using fender bolts and other points that are fixed on each side - check cross corner distances.

Might just need a rad support, you could take it apart yourself and then have a mobile welding company come by and weld in a new rad support. Fender and bumper and hood are findable in PnP's
      Thanks for the tips. Right now the hood is wedged shut and I plan to tackle getting it open this weekend as we have had bad weather going on 5 days in a row. Will report back with the findings

The inner fender will likely be the issue. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like it's bashed in pretty good. Not to say it's not repairable, but it'll need attention. The "radiator mount" is a fiberglass "frame" and is easily replaceable. Volvo made it easy with these cars.

I would definitely sell it as is to a Volvo person, someone like me would pick that thing up really quick. T5M wagons are definitely desirable cars, albeit not worth a whole lot compared to a P2 V70R (which I'll never understand why those are so expensive).
      2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 195k
      2003 S60 2.4T Silver/Black 112k
      2000 S70 GLT Silver/Taupe 253k
      1991 944 Turbo B230FT/AW70 173k
      1992 245 some of a B230F/AW70 249k
      1993 944 B230F/AW71L 221k
      2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 165k
      Sold-
      1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 193k
      1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
      1995 850 GLT Tropic Green... crushed
      2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
      1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k

Need used parts? PM me!

so sorry to see this, OP. curious: why didn't you carry full ins.? Was the car NOT worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      so sorry to see this, OP. curious: why didn't you carry full ins.? Was the car NOT worth it?
      I am naturally pretty frugal, so I figured the extra premiums would add up to more than the car was worth in less than 2 years. If only I had known I would get in an accident 6 months later.....

Quote Originally Posted by brendenlow View Post
      I am naturally pretty frugal, so I figured the extra premiums would add up to more than the car was worth in less than 2 years. If only I had known I would get in an accident 6 months later.....
      You filled in the many of the missing variables in the other thread ($1500/250K miles) so FWIW I'm guessing that most insurance companies would total out a $1500 car with 250K miles and frame damage. Thus, you may not have been hurt too much by not buying collision insurance, after considering the insurance deductible.

Did the body shop give you a quote?

I've had my car for more than 22 years /220K and so pretty much any repair wouldn't move my cost-per-mile or cost-per-year very much. The car is worth more to me than it is to anyone else on the planet. I'd drop $1500 into mine without batting an eye but it probably isn't the best decision for most people. (The A/C is getting weak again, so I may need to.)

(My wife just replaced her 15 year old, rusty 180K Honda with a shiny new 2020 version. And she dropped the collision insurance on the old one. IMO if there was any time that I'd want to have full collision insurance on a car, it would be when selling a 15 year old, rusty, super cheap car to a complete stranger for cash. I guessed it saved her, maybe $50 by dropping the collision insurance. You aren't the only one.)
      '98 V70 T5, 5-speed manual, white, 220K mi, original clutch, third clutch pedal, third AC evaporator, heated tan velour seats, cracked dashboard, factory HD suspension (1998 only), front IPD stabilizer bar, rear HD Bilsteins, Volvo strut tower brace and skidplate, XC grill, C70 E-Code headlights, fog lights, no spoiler, hard-wired V-1, Lidatek, IPD stuff, JB Weld, 3M Duct Tape, zip-ties, Mobil-1 since new.

Quote Originally Posted by bill d cat View Post

I've had my car for more than 22 years /220K and so pretty much any repair wouldn't move my cost-per-mile or cost-per-year very much. The car is worth more to me than it is to anyone else on the planet. I'd drop $1500 into mine without batting an eye but it probably isn't the best decision for most people. (The A/C is getting weak again, so I may need to.)
      Dumping a car because it's "not worth fixing" is such a false economy for most maintenance/wear items. Well guess what, you're gonna be in the hole buying a newer, inevitably more expensive car, and then it's going to have the same problems develop. The vast majority of the time, the cheapest car is the one you already own. Add in time/resources spent shopping for a new car, and it gets even worse. When my dad and I were looking at cars for my mom, we were figuring every trip to go look at a car cost us an average of like $400.

Quote Originally Posted by bill d cat View Post
      Did the body shop give you a quote?
      The shop i took it to was not able to do the frame work , so they directed me to another place. That said I am pretty well resigned to moving it on and getting something practical to replace both this and my single cab truck. At least that is what my wife tells me to think.

It's okay to move on, despite how overly aggressive others are on here on the contrary. Newer cars are great! Sure it'll cost you some money, but hey, you'll have a newer, more comfortable car with more modern amenities.

Could you "save" a few grand doing tons of work? Sure! Is it worth it? well, that depends on you. It sure wasn't worth it for me.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

It's okay to move on, despite how overly aggressive others are on here on the contrary. Newer cars are great! Sure it'll cost you some money, but hey, you'll have a newer, more comfortable car with more modern amenities.

Could you "save" a few grand doing tons of work? Sure! Is it worth it? well, that depends on you. It sure wasn't worth it for me.

Well regardless of the goal, fixing this car is definitely not the correct answer. Shell swapping it with a clean shell to build another T5M could be a correct answer.

Not everyone wants modern "amenities." I do not want a touchscreen attached to my car. I've sat in SPAs at the dealer and the interiors were much very uncomfortable for me compared to my P80s and P2. Obviously everyone has a different body so I'm not saying that's true for everyone. But it's also certainly not true that a SPA is more comfortable for everyone. I felt better physically than I'd felt in weeks after driving my S60 2000 miles over 5 days last week. I don't think I would have even been able to make it home from SC in one day had I been doing that trip in a SPA, let alone felt good afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Well regardless of the goal, fixing this car is definitely not the correct answer. Shell swapping it with a clean shell to build another T5M could be a correct answer.

Not everyone wants modern "amenities." I do not want a touchscreen attached to my car. I've sat in SPAs at the dealer and the interiors were much very uncomfortable for me compared to my P80s and P2. Obviously everyone has a different body so I'm not saying that's true for everyone. But it's also certainly not true that a SPA is more comfortable for everyone. I felt better physically than I'd felt in weeks after driving my S60 2000 miles over 5 days last week. I don't think I would have even been able to make it home from SC in one day had I been doing that trip in a SPA, let alone felt good afterwards.
      Yeah I have to agree, the new SPA cars aren’t very comfortable. And I can’t stand those touchscreens... they’re too Tesla-like. Which is a VERY bad thing for me, I can’t stand modern technology like that in cars. The V60 is beautiful, but I would never buy one simply because of the electronic crap. I can get over the sub-par engines and the fact that they’re only automatic.
      A P2 is about as advanced as I can handle tech-wise... I can deal with various modules and stuff that actually handle operating the car, but anything beyond that for entertainment or “safety” purposes is just excessive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Sold-
      2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
      1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k

Need used parts? PM me!

Having done this shell swap myself, if you don't have the space, time, mechanical inclination, and an exhaustive list of tools...I would advise against it, especially if this car isn't "the one."

I would suggest seeing if you can find an enthusiast that is interested in taking it whole, but if no one bites, send it to the junkyard. Nothing lives forever.

And don't get me wrong, my shell swap was absolutely worth it but I had a fat insurance check, all the tools but an engine hoist, space, help, time...it really came together that it was the best option for me, personally.
      1999 V70R GT - Mystic Silver/Graphite - 147k miles. Converted from base model. T5M drivetrain. All R goodies, too many upgrades to list. My baby.
      1999 V70 T5M - Mystic Silver/Graphite - Totaled from rear quarter panel damage. Converted to base 5-speed. Gifted to fiance. RockAuto Collector's Series Magnet #179.
      1999 V70R AWD - Mystic Silver/Graphite - dead.
      1999 V70 GLT - Black/Graphite - sold, then died.

Finally got this sorted out and moved the V70 on to a good home. I listed it with a shall we say an "optimistic" price and had tire kickers here and there and an offer to buy it for parts for $500. Met a buyer yesterday and he has worked on Volvo's before and wanted to get the T5M back to its former glory. he checks all the boxes that will be needed, know-how, access to a shop, and a desire to get it running, to get this thing back to daily driver status. Happy to say it is saved from the parts yard and will live to see another day

I will direct Steve to the forum as I head off into standard issue commuter car land only 6 months and 750 miles into my Volvo experience.

Good to hear it will see daylight and movement.
      Find another and stay in the game!
      Quote Originally Posted by brendenlow View Post
      Finally got this sorted out and moved the V70 on to a good home. I listed it with a shall we say an "optimistic" price and had tire kickers here and there and an offer to buy it for parts for $500. Met a buyer yesterday and he has worked on Volvo's before and wanted to get the T5M back to its former glory. he checks all the boxes that will be needed, know-how, access to a shop, and a desire to get it running, to get this thing back to daily driver status. Happy to say it is saved from the parts yard and will live to see another day

I will direct Steve to the forum as I head off into standard issue commuter car land only 6 months and 750 miles into my Volvo experience.
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Glad to hear it went to a good home!
      Sold-