SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Jump starting my xc90

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  CDN XC90 
#1 ·
25 below a few days ago and I needed to use my booster box. I can only reach the rear hatch when I’m parked in the garage but the manual says to boost from the engine compartment. Can I boost the battery directly from the battery in the rear or not, and if not why not? It certainly would make a better connection point. Thanks! This is a 2005 xc90.

#2 ·
You can definitely boost from the battery. However, to me, it would be more work to uncover the battery than connecting to the terminals under the hood.

When I put the battery on the charger lately, I have used the under hood connections as well.

#5 ·
You can definitely boost from the battery. However, to me, it would be more work to uncover the battery than connecting to the terminals under the hood.

l.
I was going to say the same thing. Far more effort and diddling around removing bolts just to have access to the terminal. No thanks.

#3 ·
Thanks! I’ve never owned a car that was so electrically quirky. I enjoy it a lot but I’m terrified of frying something expensive.The sorting process is centered in the electrical system. I would love to have available a readout of how it is designed, and why it was designed the way it is. My Mercedes is odd, but comfortably rational when you understand it. This is some other level of crazy.

The point of boosting from the back end is that I can’t access the front when parked in the garage, it’s too huge.

#4 ·
I've boosted the car from both ends. Both work. If one is better, I would guess it would be from the front, since that's closer to the starter, but I doubt there's a measurable difference.

Just wondering....is it possible for you to back into the garage, thus having easy access to the engine compartment? Might save some fiddling with tools and all to get to the battery on a bitter cold morning.

#6 ·
It’s an uphill approach, icy and the door is 8 ft wide, so it’s a struggle to back into with a wide body car, especially with all the tractor parts lining the sides! I tried the front attachment points on the battery but felt like I wasn’t getting good contact with my booster box clamps in the space provided. I considered making a copper extension on the positive point, and I might still do that. The solution I’m using right now is to stay home when it’s cold out. being retired has its benefits, and that’s a big one.

#10 ·
I tried the front attachment points on the battery but felt like I wasn't getting good contact with my booster box clamps in the space provided. I considered making a copper extension on the positive point, and I might still do that.
Clean the under hood positive terminal perhaps. I expect the connection issues were more likely the ground rather than the positive...

If you can access the hood, you should definitely be able to get a proper boost from there.

#7 · (Edited)
How about getting a small battery tender, or is a fully charged battery still no enough? What oil are you running? -25C isn't all that cold... (Never mind, I see you're on the Fahrenheit side of the boarder.) How about a block heater, or a heated garage! Make working on the tractors more pleasant, too!

#8 ·
This is a new to me car. It has 150k on the odo, and needs a certain amount of sorting. My plan right now is to get through winter and look at the starter this summer which I think might be dragging some. if it checks out as good, then a tank heater would be in order. Is there a recommended service interval on the spark plugs here?

#12 ·
Good to hear.

Sounds like you may want to put a charger on the battery to top it up. I charge now from the under hood connections as well when needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.