Any impact from corona virus on march/April OSD deliveries ? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      I would Strongly urge you to postpone if your trip is in april, by that time the virus will be full blown here in the states. Europe may have already peaked by then but nothing certain.

If your traveling in the next few weeks, be prepared to be quarantined (At a moment's notice) in any European city you visit. The rate of growth in Europe has now surpassed China "Officially". I would not risk getting stuck for a month or two, not to mention the red tape you'll have to go through if the state department needs to get involved (God forbid you do get sick). Traveling to Europe at this time is almost as risky as hopping on a super discounted cruise ship (Except no discount). If it's free to postpone, I'm sure it's worth the wait (All Volvo's are )!
      We are prepared to have to postpone, but I really don't want to. We specifically planned the trip for that time to accommodate all 5 of us, as there isn't a good time for pretty much the rest of the year. Two of us are self-employed and don't get paid if we aren't working, so it makes taking time off difficult. We of course aren't going to be stupid about it and press on if conditions are bad enough at that point, but all of us would rather go then if possible. In the meantime, we're washing our hands, covering our coughs, and not touching our faces...
      2020 XC90 Momentum T5 (OSD April 2020 - Delayed May 2021)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Any impact from corona virus on march/April OSD deliveries ?

This is reply from the new Volvo travel agent. I tried to contact them and postpone the March 27th trip.

Thank you for contacting us. Due to recent developments with travel to/from Europe we are having to prioritize Clients who are currently in Europe as well as those who were planning to travel there before April 30th. Please know that Volvo and ADTRAV’s #1 priority is the safety of its Clients. We are continually monitoring the changes surrounding COVID-19 and will provide updates as we have them. For the most recent information you can visit: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ce--china.html. Thank you for your patience during this time.

I have also contacted Barbara from Volvo and waiting for them to get back. Will update soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE: Americans WILL NOT be allowed back in the United States if they are infected.

If you're in Europe now, you need to be getting things in order.
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rnavket View Post
      We are watching the situation closely as we have a May 11 delivery date and were planning a 2 week trip
      Our delivery date is also set for May 11. We had been planning on 2 weeks through western/southern Sweden and Denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      UPDATE: Americans WILL NOT be allowed back in the United States if they are infected.

If you're in Europe now, you need to be getting things in order.
      source, please ?

/kleks

Quote Originally Posted by Kleks View Post
      source, please ?

/kleks
      Airlines may have their own rules but per the Whitehouse, it does not apply to US permanent residents:

Sec.*2.**Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.

(a)* Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i)**** any lawful permanent resident of the United*States

Hopefully link works

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/

06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

Yeah, that is still in the air. Bunch of contradictory statements unsupported by reality ( lack of testing). Trump and Pence are contradicting one another; unless it is a DHS statement it is still speculation. (Like - good stoppage, no good stoppage, all travel, only non-US residents, etc etc).

/kleks

Any impact from corona virus on march/April OSD deliveries ?

Just got the trip canceled by the adtrav. We will have 365 days from the delivery date to reschedule the flights. More info from Volvo will come later on. Cars will ship on the delivery date. On rescheduled trip it is up to Volvo Corp. to make a decision if hotel and dinner are still paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      Just got the trip canceled by the adtrav. We will have 365 days from the delivery date to reschedule the flights. More info from Volvo will come later on. Cars will ship on the delivery date. On rescheduled trip it is up to Volvo Corp. to make a decision if hotel and dinner are still paid for.

I'm assuming then that Volvo will give you a loaner car on your rescheduled trip? That's what worries me most - I don't care so much about one night's hotel stay/breakfast and dinner!
      Future: 2021 V90 CC (OSD)
      Current: 2017 Subaru Outback Touring
      Previous: 2005 Volvo V70R
      1971 Triumph Tiger 650 (OSD)

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
      I'm assuming then that Volvo will give you a loaner car on your rescheduled trip? That's what worries me most - I don't care so much about one night's hotel stay/breakfast and dinner!
      Oh, and forgot to ask - was any option given to cancel the order and return your deposit? Just curious!

Not a Volvo problem per se, but my daughter's school was cancelled for 2 weeks, and they are going to extend the school year into late June, which is going to be during our OSD trip for which we already have plane tickets and hotels set up (we had scheduled our trip to start 4 days after the last school day in case of some snow days but who knew this would happen?).
      Future: 2020 V60 CC Birch Light with Advanced Package and Bowers and Wilkins (OSD summer 2020)
      Current: Subaru Outback 2015, Limited

I received an email today from AdTravel that included a letter from Volvo with options for those that have an OSD delivery date through 4/30. The letter is a bit unclear, but my interpretation is basically this.
      Option 1 - Proceed with OSD as scheduled
      Option 2 - Ship the car home as soon as its available and reschedule the trip to Gothenburg and factory anytime up to 12 months. So you get the airfare, one night/dinner at Clarion Post, factory tour, but no rental car to tour the area.
      Option 3 - Ship the car home as soon as its available and skip the travel portion altogether.
      I saw no option to postpone the deliver date or to cancel the OSD and get deposit back. Did anyone else see this letter? Did I interpret it correctly?
      Dec 2016 OSD: 2017 XC90 T6 Inscription | Magic Blue | Amber | Vision | Conv | B&W | 21" Wheels | HUD | Polestar
      Was Apr, now Sept 2020 OSD (pending): 2020 XC40 T5 Momentum | Ice White | Charcoal Textile | Advanced | Multimedia | Premium

No option to proceed with the trip, and then self-quarantine inside of the car as it's shipped back to the US? You could be sure they don't drill your front bumper with a plate holder that way.
      Current - 2000 V70R Venetian Red Pearl
      Past - 1998 V70 XC Emerald Green Metallic
      RIP - 1987 Mazda RX-7 White/Red (first car, many speeding tickets, blown rotary engine)

Just got off the phone with AdTrav after our initial consultation for our OSD in July 2020 and it "appears" that the Volvo Gothenburg Production Facility is closing beginning today for the next 30 days. Agent was unsure what if any impact it might have on our delivery date. This is all unconfirmed of course.

I contacted OSD over the weekend, and received the following:

We are taking a look at all of the variables in this situation. Right now, we have cancelled OSD deliveries scheduled for April 15th and before, so as of this e-mail there is no cancellation scheduled for yours. Should you so choose, you may cancel your trip and reschedule it within 12 months of your original planned delivery date (by April 20th, 2021). We will also directly ship your XC60 to your dealer. We would ask that you reschedule your travel with AdTrav when time comes.

My delivery was scheduled for 4/20, and I think that any expectations of situation drastically improving in next 4 weeks are nil; with very limited travel options ( vide SAS & other airlines limiting flights), it would not be smart to try to fly to EU at this time. Thus, we are delaying trip for a few months, and asked for delivery to US dealership. Oh well, sometimes life hands you a surprise. Let's stay healthy and enjoy the life.

If as @ragu states they are closing Gothenburg production facility for a month, that would slip the delivery schedule.

/kleks

Quote Originally Posted by maxchi View Post
      I received an email today from AdTravel that included a letter from Volvo with options for those that have an OSD delivery date through 4/30. The letter is a bit unclear, but my interpretation is basically this.
      Option 1 - Proceed with OSD as scheduled
      Option 2 - Ship the car home as soon as its available and reschedule the trip to Gothenburg and factory anytime up to 12 months. So you get the airfare, one night/dinner at Clarion Post, factory tour, but no rental car to tour the area.
      Option 3 - Ship the car home as soon as its available and skip the travel portion altogether.
      I saw no option to postpone the deliver date or to cancel the OSD and get deposit back. Did anyone else see this letter? Did I interpret it correctly?
      Atleast we would like to see a postponed delivery date as an option. The whole point is to have your car and drive around in overseas delivery experience. For me that’s a vital part of this whole experience. Have to wait and see how this turns out as we go through some more weeks in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My heartfelt sympathies to those whose Overseas Delivery plans have been foiled by the coronavirus. I know some may argue that not being able to pick up a luxury Volvo in Sweden is merely a "first world problem". But I can only imagine if our OSD trip last year had been derailed, how disappointed we would have been after all our planning and anticipation. Best laid plans of mice and men, I suppose. Hoping for a swedespeedy flattening of the curve for you and yours.
      MY19 OSD - XC40 T5 AWD Momentum (Osmium grey metallic)

The Ghent plant has also been closed until further notice.
      Ordered: 2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered
      Current: 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth, 2016 Acura TLX
      Past: 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, 2008 BMW Z4, 1988 Mazda RX-7, 1998 BMW M Roadster, 2004 Toyota Sequoia

For those with deliveries in March, April, and May - Volvo has now posted the information sent out by email:

https://www.volvocars.com/us/shopping-tools/shop/overseas-delivery/covid-19-update

Per my local dealer, there is no rental car provided for those that reschedule their travel.

Quote Originally Posted by hamletkm View Post
      For those with deliveries in March, April, and May - Volvo has now posted the information sent out by email:

https://www.volvocars.com/us/shoppin...ovid-19-update

Per my local dealer, there is no rental car provided for those that reschedule their travel.
      Thanks for that link - always good to hear things first hand from Volvo! However please note that right now it only applies to Customers "scheduled to pick up their new Volvo on March 16th and through April 15th".

Yes travel itineraries are suspended through April 15 so far, and the options regarding rescheduling are offered "for those with scheduled delivery between March 17th and May 31st"

Quote Originally Posted by hamletkm View Post

https://www.volvocars.com/us/shoppin...ovid-19-update

With the factory shut down and if the car will not be built as scheduled, is it possible to change the OSD date and still use one's car in Sweden? My car is scheduled to be picked up June 18th. If this date becomes null and void due to a backlog caused by the factory shut-down, if travel is still suspended (I've read that peak virus will be in late May in northern Europe), can I choose a new date (say, in August) or even the following June? I've obviously already paid the deposit. Driving the car around Europe was a huge draw for this program.

I would absolutely hate to wait another year but these events have reminded us that there are much worse things in life!
      Future: 2020 V60 CC Birch Light with Advanced Package and Bowers and Wilkins (OSD summer 2020)

According to a statement from Volvo in yesterday's Gothenburg Post "In Torslanda (Gothenburg Volvo Factory), production is up and running, and so are our other factories in Sweden and the US. We see significant challenges in Europe and we continue to have close contact with our suppliers. But so far we have been able to keep production going, says Stefan Elfström".

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/volvo...081245070.html

Volvo cars to temporarily close plants in U.S. and Sweden

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Swedish carmaker Volvo is suspending production at its factories in Sweden, the United States and Belgium, to curb the spread of the coronavirus, it said on Friday, even as it resumes manufacturing in China where the infection rate has slowed.
      Volvo's Swedish factories in Torslanda, Skovde, Olofstrom, and its U.S. plant in South Carolina will close between March 26 and April 14, the company said. Its plant in Ghent, Belgium has already been temporarily shut down.
      "Our primary concerns are the health of our employees and the future of our business," Chief Executive Hakan Samuelsson said. "I think for the economy, we need to do something drastic, rather then trying half-hearted measures that drag on forever."
      "We are seeing the effect from this coronavirus is increasing every day. We see problems in the logistics supply side," he told Reuters. "We have to help contributing to social distancing."
      Samuelsson said the financial impact of the shutdown would become clearer when the carmaker published first-half earnings. The company will reduce the working hours of white-collar staff during the factory closures and will take advantage of government incentives, Samuelsson said.
      The financial impact on Volvo also depended on how different countries reacted to contain the virus.
      "There is a big difference between countries. Some have curfews, with restaurants and schools closed. In other countries there are less drastic measures. I just think we need to synchronize that more."

(Reporting by Edward Taylor; Editing by Pravin Char)
      Driving: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      Awaiting: 2020 XC60 T8 Inscription (Pine Grey) (OSD)

Just wanted to check-in with some of you OSD folks whom had March/April FDC delivery dates - and see what some of you might have decided on relative to your options? With Volvo currently not producing any new autos I'm wondering if at some point Volvo may have to cancel or delay orders. Our July 13th delivery date is naturally still on the books for now and ADTRAV has been in touch about flights - but so much is up in the air that I thought I would reach out and see if anyone is hearing anything new!

We are likely going to have to cancel our trip with a May 11 delivery date. We still want the car, however, I'm not going to pay for a car while the production facility is shut down. I've put in a call to Barbara about our options and waiting to hear back.

The most frustrating part is that we had planned a long road trip with our XC90 and although we could return to Europe at a later day, it is quite disappointing that Volvo will not provide a loaner or rental vehicle for your trip.

Can anyone post updates here as they get them in regards to production delays?

We already cancelled our trip for pickup on 4/20. We retained the option to do it at later time, but IMHO this might not materialize in next 12 months.
      With regard to providing rental car - I think we can afford rental for a month, taking all what is happening into account.
      Our car got FC on or before March 18 - the clock is ticking if they will manage to move it to harbour or into the ship before they close Torslanda till after the Easter (4/14). If they manage to ship it before closure, we can expect the car here around end of April. If the car is stuck at factory till 4/14, then we are looking at late May - June. The kicker is we just signed with Volvo credit, so first installment will be due late in April.
      Keeping fingers crossed that it will ship this week.
      Last edited by Kleks; 03-23-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rnavket View Post
      We are likely going to have to cancel our trip with a May 11 delivery date. We still want the car, however, I'm not going to pay for a car while the production facility is shut down. I've put in a call to Barbara about our options and waiting to hear back.

The most frustrating part is that we had planned a long road trip with our XC90 and although we could return to Europe at a later day, it is quite disappointing that Volvo will not provide a loaner or rental vehicle for your trip.

Can anyone post updates here as they get them in regards to production delays?
      We are in a similar situation. Our pickup is June 18th. Although Volvo will not provide rental after you get your car, I heard they provide a rental if the car is not yet built, but this would be a moot point if the virus is still raging and everything is shut down.

This would mean no road trip, which was a main reason for the OSD experience.

As a possible silver lining, if our car gets built months later than expected due to the shutdown, would we get an automatic upgrade to a 2021 or will they keep on building 2020s? 2021 models are supposed to get upgraded B & W systems (hard to believe, given how incredible the system already is).

Did you notice this statement in Volvo's 03/20/20 COVID-19 update? "You can still order a 2020 Volvo and schedule your delivery in Gothenburg no later than September 30th.". Sounds to me like they'll still be building the MY2020's through the end of summer!

Also I might talk to my Dealer if the OSD orders become cancelled/delayed and see if they'll apply the $3K deposit towards an existing car on their lot! I really don't want the OSD trip to Sweden without my car!

I had an OSD date of Monday March 16th. We left via SAS from IAD headed to CPH on March 11th. The flight departed at 6:30 p.m. Somewhere in international airspace just south of Iceland, everyone's phones starting getting text messages and CNN/FOX News alerts regarding the travel ban. I believe Trump's speech was around 8 p.m. EST and we all got word of it in the air around what seemed like what would have been around 11 pm. EST. I recall the flight screen showing our altitude being 41,008 feet, outside air temp being -51F and 2-hours and 31minutes to our destination. We landed on March 12th in Copenhagen. Took a taxi to our hotel (The Admiral Hotel) I called CorpTrav to see if anything had changed and of course being 6 hours ahead of them in Chicago got the after-hours people. They promised to get someone to contact me later. Well, later turned out to be Friday night. March 13th (bad omen) when I received this E-mail:

Overseas Delivery Travel
      Future travel
      13 March 2020

Dear Overseas Delivery customer,
      As you know, the Coronavirus/COVID-19 situation is changing by the minute around the world. As the situation continues to develop, it is our goal to ensure you have the information you need and that - above all else - you remain safe!
      Volvo Car USA in light of the increasing amount of travel bans and restrictions we have made the decision to suspend any travel itineraries for our Overseas Delivery customers traveling and scheduled to pick up their new Volvo on March 16th and through April 15th. Your safety and the safety of our employees is of the upmost priority. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and update you as the situation changes and progresses.
      Therefore, you have two options:
      Option 1: You will be able to reschedule your trip to Gothenburg and the factory at a later time but within twelve (12) months. You will still receive the same benefits as you would have when picking up your Volvo including the hotel accommodation at the Clarion Post, the factory tour and dinner. We will have your Volvo shipped to your retailer as soon as it is available to book for shipment.
      Option 2: We can ship your Volvo to your retailer as soon as it is available, and you can cancel your travel plans indefinitely.
      Again, the health and well-being of you and your family is our number one priority. If you should have any questions please contact your retailer or our Customer Care Team ([email protected]). Based on the current travel ban only US Citizens and Permanent Residents are permitted to re-enter the US. For more information on travel restrictions please visit the Homeland Security website, www.dhs.gov.
      Best Regards,
      Your Volvo Overseas Delivery team

-----END HERE------

So, now I was worried on Sunday the 15th as to whether or not my tickets from Copenhagen to Gothenburg were going to actually work. They did. I was worried if there would actually be someone there from PM Logistiks to pick us up and take us to our hotel. There was. I was wondering if our Clarion Post Hotel reservation there was still valid. It was, If our Norda dinner reservations had truly been paid for. They were. Then on Monday the 16th, we again had to worry if we were really going to get picked up and taken to the FDC. We were and we got to see our Volvo and drive it. We did not get the factory tour since the Coronavirus made that a no go. We still got the lunch at the FDC and tickets to the Volvo museum. We opted to not keep the Volvo and after a bit of driving around and exploring what the car could do, the joke of a test track and a tip over to the museum, we turned the Volvo back in. I was told things were getting dicey and if I turned it in that day Monday the 16th it would be loaded on a ship that Friday. I have no way to know if that happened, but he estimates I should have my Volvo by April 15th. We took an express train from Gothenburg to Stockholm and flew back home on Sunday the 22nd. Would do it again. Had a great time even with a lot of stuff being closed.

Thanks for sharing 'rapayn1' - and glad to hear that at least the front-end of your planned OSD trip came to fruition! Talk about just making something "by the skin of your teeth" - you did it! Let us know too when you take delivery of your XC40 here in the U.S. if you don't mind!

Ragu,

Sure thing Ragu. What is interesting is that now that AdTrav has taken over, they are sending me mail as if I never went. I wonder if I have fallen through the cracks and Volvo will send me to Gothenburg again and this time I get the factory tour. Maybe go back for just a long weekend vice 2-weeks. I'll accept another pair of SAS Plus round-trip tickets. This time I would go when it was warmer though. CorpTrav did mess up. Since SAS was no longer flying to IAD until after March 28th, CorpTrav, for my protection, got us seats on United and at a different city. So, instead of flying from ARN to CPH and then to IAD, I went from ARN to EWR and then from EWR to IAD. The EWR to IAD leg was handled by United Express. The problem his that when this change was made, I never was really issued any tickets. So, 24 hours before our flight is to leave, we attempt to check-in using the smartphone app and it doesn't work. Says we need to do it at the airport. Flight is scheduled to leave at 10:45 Sunday morning. We leave the hotel at 7:30 a.m. and and get to the airport at 8 a.m. We don't get our SAS tickets until 9:30 a.m. Reference number did not work in the self-service kiosk and the SAS agents, for a long time could not figure out how to get us our boarding passes either. They finally did and we got our bags checked and on our flight with time to spare. Unfortunately, things got worse in New Jersey. SAS flight lands at 2:35 p.m and the United flight is scheduled to leave at 5 p.m. At 4 pm. we still have no tickets. no boarding passes. Checked bags cut-off is at 4:15 for this 5 pm. flight. I have been on the phone with CorpTrav and keep getting disconnected. Finally the United person lets me use her landline phone at the desk. I get CorpTrav for a third time. After a long time on hold, someone talks to me again. At that time I had 2-minutes left to make the cut-off. We miss the cut-off. CorpTrav also tells the United worker that she can't buy my tickets as she needs authorization. So, I buy the tickets myself, but it is technically too late. I have two tickets now, but we may not make the flight as we are in one terminal and the flight is in another. We have to go back through security and the line there was long. Then we had to take either a bus or the train again to get back over to the other terminal. We might make the flight but our luggage might not. If we missed the flight, our luggage might make it to IAD but we won't be there. Luckily we got to the gate with 5-minutes to spare. Even funnier, the plane hadn't started boarding yet due to mechanical issues. So, while boarding was supposed to start at 4:35 pm and the plane was to take off at 5, we got to the gate at 4:55 fully prepared to apologize, and were promptly told that no one has boarded yet. So, we made it and our bags made it. I spent the morning talking to CorpTrav and E-mailing to now be reimbursed for my two tickets. A 1 hour and 30-minute flight costs us $596.80. The United lady waived a lot of fees for us since she saw that it looked like we were about to get screwed. The tickets would have been more.

Ragu,

Mail like this from AdTrav makes you wonder:

-----BEGIN HERE------

Thank you for participating in the Volvo Overseas Delivery Program. We are the new Travel Agency handling all of the bookings for this program. We have been made aware that you have elected to postpone your original travel date.

Please read the attached memo from Volvo. It will detail the options you have when it comes to rebooking your trip. Something to note is that if your Delivery Date was after May 31st of this year you still have the same options as those mentioned in the attached memo from Volvo.

Our plan is to wait until everything settles down with COVID-19 and then begin reaching out to everyone about rebooking their trip. Ideally this would be in 2 -3 weeks but this may change based on how things continue to unfold. If after reading the attached memo you would like to begin planning your new trip sooner than projected send me an email and I can have one of our Travel Advisors reach out to you.

Thank you for patience and understanding during this time

-----END HERE-----

I never elected to postpone anything. I did everything I wanted to do except for get a tour of the factory. So, not sure how word is getting around Volvo and their travel partners that I have not yet traveled overseas and am still eligible for an overseas trip to include hotel, dinner and plane tickets, just no car to pick-up at the FDC.

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
      Did you notice this statement in Volvo's 03/20/20 COVID-19 update? "You can still order a 2020 Volvo and schedule your delivery in Gothenburg no later than September 30th.". Sounds to me like they'll still be building the MY2020's through the end of summer!
      Ah, I read the original statement that came out a couple of days before the factory closure was announced on the 20th.

The updated statement does say that the 2020s will be made through September.

If I don't get the road trip, it would be nice to at least get the updated car.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast