SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

A few questions about the radio

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Power6 
#1 ·
When I have my phone connected through Bluetooth, and play music files from my phone, I'm not getting any album art. Also, it doesn't seem like there's a way to see the music library that's on my phone, using the radio? And finally, can I use a USB splitter in the USB port, so I can have an iPhone cable for my wife, and a Note 10 cable for me? I obviously know that both phones can't be plugged in at the same time, but I'd like the 2 cables there for convenience.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
When I have my phone connected through Bluetooth, and play music files from my phone, I'm not getting any album art.
Not sure on this one, might check with the dealer, the Sensus has the Gracenote database loaded which should pull album art. I do get album art using Spotify over BT from my iPhone. I am pretty sure it comes from Gracenote as frequently the album art is a unique image that doesn't match Spotify app. There are a lot of variables here and I am not totally familiar with all of them, but OS of phone, BT standard used by your phone hardware, which app you use may all have an effect on the information being transmitted that enables the lookup of the album art.

Also, it doesn't seem like there's a way to see the music library that's on my phone, using the radio?
if you expand the media section of the Sensus when on Bluetooth, you will see a "Library" icon. You can click that to browse what is available on the device. BUT let me tell you, as a tech guy, there is not some magic fairy that finds all of your music. It is dependent on how your phone chooses to handle it, Volvo has no control over that. On an iPhone the "Library" shows what is in Apple Music. Useless to me since my music is in Spotify. So may or may not be useful to you depending on what you got going on.

And finally, can I use a USB splitter in the USB port, so I can have an iPhone cable for my wife, and a Note 10 cable for me? I obviously know that both phones can't be plugged in at the same time, but I'd like the 2 cables there for convenience.
This depends on how the splitter is wired. My guess is any USB splitter is going to be wired to assume that you want to only *charge* 2 devices, it would not make any sense for the data wires to be joined in a splitter as that could cause all sorts of issues when you plug in 2 devices, so most likely any splitter you buy will not be useful if you want to connect a device through to the Sensus for CarPlay, Android Auto etc. If my memory is not failing me...there are 2 USB ports in the console, what you could do is have 2 cables, one for connection and charging (white outlined USB port) and another for just charging (the other port) would that not fit the bill?

#14 ·
Not sure on this one, might check with the dealer, the Sensus has the Gracenote database loaded which should pull album art. I do get album art using Spotify over BT from my iPhone. I am pretty sure it comes from Gracenote as frequently the album art is a unique image that doesn't match Spotify app. There are a lot of variables here and I am not totally familiar with all of them, but OS of phone, BT standard used by your phone hardware, which app you use may all have an effect on the information being transmitted that enables the lookup of the album art.

if you expand the media section of the Sensus when on Bluetooth, you will see a "Library" icon. You can click that to browse what is available on the device. BUT let me tell you, as a tech guy, there is not some magic fairy that finds all of your music. It is dependent on how your phone chooses to handle it, Volvo has no control over that. On an iPhone the "Library" shows what is in Apple Music. Useless to me since my music is in Spotify. So may or may not be useful to you depending on what you got going on.

This depends on how the splitter is wired. My guess is any USB splitter is going to be wired to assume that you want to only *charge* 2 devices, it would not make any sense for the data wires to be joined in a splitter as that could cause all sorts of issues when you plug in 2 devices, so most likely any splitter you buy will not be useful if you want to connect a device through to the Sensus for CarPlay, Android Auto etc. If my memory is not failing me...there are 2 USB ports in the console, what you could do is have 2 cables, one for connection and charging (white outlined USB port) and another for just charging (the other port) would that not fit the bill?
"Library" is grayed out for me.

#4 ·
Only the one outlined in white, works for Android Auto, and Apple Car Play. I want to have both cables available so Car Play and Android Auto can be used at any given time, depending on which phone is chosen to be used.

#5 ·
Only the one outlined in white, works for Android Auto, and Apple Car Play. I want to have both cables available so Car Play and Android Auto can be used at any given time, depending on which phone is chosen to be used.

I understand now, as long as you don't plug in both devices at the same time you should be good as long as the splitter is Apple and Android rated.

#17 ·
The quick answer there is your phone doesn't support the Volvo app browsing the Library. Since this working is so dependent on the phone itself, which may not be presenting the storage of music for the Sensus to browse, it probably is what it is... Could be a security feature, as allowing a BT device to browse storage could be a risk, there might be a setting on the phone to allow that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.