Suspension / Wheel Set ups - Let's see yours - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by msmith View Post
      That is one sweet ride. Awesome look.
      +1!
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design - Rebel Blue - Polestar Tune - Polestar Performance Chassis - Polestar Performance Cat Back Exhaust
      2014 XC90 3.2 R-Design - Black Saphire

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      In my 2.5 years on this forum, nearly everyone on T6/R-Design rear shocks and springs and with 235/45's have reported rubbing with 15 mm spacers.
      Thanks, wonder why I never found that thread, especially as it's literally got "spacers" in the title and I read many on here. I might trim that area of the liner slightly, not sure yet. At least it's not completely abnormal.

Quote Originally Posted by digoleo View Post
      Wheels - Ixion II 8x20"

Tire Size - 235/35/20

Spacers - None

Suspension - Stock with sport springs

Ride Height - Not measured

Any rubbing? - Nope

20200207_173304 by Rodrigo Leonardo, no Flickr

20200207_170311 by Rodrigo Leonardo, no Flickr
      this is dope!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

235/45R19 aren't allowed on the car anyway.

Gesendet von meinem BBF100-1 mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wertzius View Post
      235/45R19 aren't allowed on the car anyway.

Gesendet von meinem BBF100-1 mit Tapatalk
      Is this referring to our discussion? We're taking 235/45R18s, which are a stock R-Design tire size for 2015.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Here is my winter set up.

2016 R-design platinum.

Wheels: 17x7 balders
      Tires: 225/50/R17 pirelli sottozero3’s
      Spacers: 10mm front, 15mm rear
      Rubbing: No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current: '16 Crystal White Pearl V60 R-design platinum P* (Drive-e) AND '07 Oyster Grey Metallic S80 v8

Quote Originally Posted by abcdefghii View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
      Did you measure the rear spacers?
      Yep, measured them this morning when I took it in to get a screw taken out of one of the tires.... 15mm.
      There is no "cause." It is what it is. I have 15 mm H&R spacers on my stock T6 suspension with 235/45R18s as well. The fenders slightly rub the tire sidewall, even with my extra 0.6" of fender clearance.
      There is no "cause." It is what it is. I have 15 mm H&R spacers on my stock T6 suspension with 235/45R18s as well. The fenders slightly rub the tire sidewall, even with my extra 0.6" of fender clearance.
      Maybe so, but since you are now the only other person who I have read has any rubbing with 15mm, we are outside of the norm. I will also say, the rubbing is minimal, so maybe it is truly nothing to worry about, but at the same time I would prefer it not to rub at all, no matter how minimally.
      Maybe so, but since you are now the only other person who I have read has any rubbing with 15mm, we are outside of the norm. I will also say, the rubbing is minimal, so maybe it is truly nothing to worry about, but at the same time I would prefer it not to rub at all, no matter how minimally.
      In my 2.5 years on this forum, nearly everyone on T6/R-Design rear shocks and springs and with 235/45's have reported rubbing with 15 mm spacers.

Here's one thread where several of us have reported rubbing. Those who say they don't are probably not in areas where there are a lot of potholes or undulations in their daily commute. Low velocity bouncing around in the city is where I think I'm getting the most contact between the liner and the tire. https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...acers-Question
      I can tell you guys right now I have 18x8 wheels with +40 offset, lowered on H&R springs and I have ZERO rubbing. Zero.

This is my winter setup.

I take back roads, pot hole filled roads and drive over railroad tracks daily. The roads here are horrendous dude to extreme cold temps in winter and hot temps in summer.

The problem is the sidewall is to tall when lowered. My tire is 235/40/18 which is the stock 2011-2013 RD size. I would go to the old RD tire size which is mathematically still acceptable on the 2014+ cars.
      Last edited by EdVQ37; 03-04-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Is this referring to our discussion? We're taking 235/45R18s, which are a stock R-Design tire size for 2015.
      Sry, i misread that.

Did anyone try 245/40R19 on Ixion II wheels on an S60 RD suspension? The original tires are 235/40R19.

Quote Originally Posted by mefr91 View Post
      Did anyone try 245/40R19 on Ixion II wheels on an S60 RD suspension? The original tires are 235/40R19.
      I run that setup. No issues.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Quote Originally Posted by EdVQ37 View Post
      I can tell you guys right now I have 18x8 wheels with +40 offset, lowered on H&R springs and I have ZERO rubbing. Zero.
      I highlighted the relevant text. I've seen less discussion of rubbing occurring with H&R's than with the Dynamic or R-Design/Sport spring, regardless of sidewall height between 40 and 45.

However, I do agree that once these tires are worn, I will be going back to 40 series. I bought these to fill the wheel wheel more in my stock height car.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

I highlighted the relevant text. I've seen less discussion of rubbing occurring with H&R's than with the Dynamic or R-Design/Sport spring, regardless of sidewall height between 40 and 45.

However, I do agree that once these tires are worn, I will be going back to 40 series. I bought these to fill the wheel wheel more in my stock height car.
      18x8 is the size of wheel you guys are discussing about rubbing. +40 is also important because that’s the offset you guys are talking about once you add 15mm spacers to RD wheels. That’s why I mentioned my wheel size because they are the same wheel spec that’s in question here.

The H&R portion is important to note because I’m running a lower ride height than the gentlemen with the V60 and I don’t rub like he does even though I have less clearance with the lower centre of gravity. If anything the RD struts and spring combo should give car more clearances yet my car is lower than his and I don’t rub...so what’s the difference? The side wall.

The fix is just that, the (45) sidewall is too tall. The old RD 235/40/18 is the size of tire that he needs to use if he doesn’t want his current wheel choice to rub.

I have found depending on tire manufacture the actual thickness of sidewall can be different on the exact same tire size from tire manufacturer to manufacturer. I know Michelin tires tend to be on the thicker side vs Pirelli for example.

Good luck!
      Last edited by EdVQ37; 03-06-2020 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      I run that setup. No issues.
      Thanks! Next time a have a flat tire I am going to switch to that setup.

18x8 is the size of wheel you guys are discussing about rubbing. +40 is also important because that’s the offset you guys are talking about once you add 15mm spacers to RD wheels. That’s why I mentioned my wheel size because they are the same wheel spec that’s in question here.

The H&R portion is important to note because I’m running a lower ride height than the gentlemen with the V60 and I don’t rub like he does even though I have less clearance with the lower centre of gravity. If anything the RD struts and spring combo should give car more clearances yet my car is lower than his and I don’t rub...so what’s the difference? The side wall.

The fix is just that, the (45) sidewall is too tall. The old RD 235/40/18 is the size of tire that he needs to use if he doesn’t want his current wheel choice to rub.

I have found depending on tire manufacture the actual thickness of sidewall can be different on the exact same tire size from tire manufacturer to manufacturer. I know Michelin tires tend to be on the thicker side vs Pirelli for example.

Good luck!
      The gentleman I bought the H&Rs from on here ran a 235/45 with a 20 mm rear spacer on his 18x8+55 Ixions and had no rub as well. The springs are progressive vs the OE so I think that has a lot to do with how much more effective they are at the long end of travel over slower, larger bumps.

Not saying it isn't the tire and offset entirely, but the springs make a large difference.
      Last edited by p.rico; 03-06-2020 at 07:56 AM.

Good luck!
      The gentleman I bought the H&Rs from on here ran a 235/45 with a 20 mm rear spacer on his 18x8+55 Ixions and had no rub as well. The springs are progressive vs the OE so I think that has a lot to do with how much more effective they are at the long end of travel over slower, larger bumps.

Not saying it isn't the tire and offset entirely, but the springs make a large difference.
      That’s an interesting point and very plausible.

How do your rear control arm bushings look? Mine were worn and cause the car to “lean” to one side until that bushing was replaced. The car became completely level. I’m not sure if it would cause rub when worn but it does affect the “travel” of the rear wheel to a degree. Just a thought.

How do your rear control arm bushings look? Mine were worn and cause the car to “lean” to one side until that bushing was replaced. The car became completely level. I’m not sure if it would cause rub when worn but it does affect the “travel” of the rear wheel to a degree. Just a thought.
      I was actually thinking a similar thing the other day, I'll certainly take a look at mine. The previous owners of my car seem to have used a dealer for everything, but not really taken care of the car if that makes sense. There's a shocking number of rusty bolts for example, I suspect they owned horses and drove it off road quite a lot and never really cleaned off the dirt. Found some horse feed information under the carpet in the trunk, and when I replaced a cracked plastic heat shield in front hf the rear passenger wheel the amount of dirt that fell out was crazy. Are the bushings replaceable? or do you have to replace the whole arm?

Interesting about the H&R springs as well, they are on my "wish list" so to speak, maybe I should look at getting them sooner rather than later and see if that helps with the rubbing.
      Last edited by abcdefghii; 03-06-2020 at 11:18 AM.

I was actually thinking a similar thing the other day, I'll certainly take a look at mine. The previous owners of my car seem to have used a dealer for everything, but not really taken care of the car if that makes sense. There's a shocking number of rusty bolts for example, I suspect they owned horses and drove it off road quite a lot and never really cleaned off the dirt. Found some horse feed information under the carpet in the trunk, and when I replaced a cracked plastic heat shield in front hf the rear passenger wheel the amount of dirt that fell out was crazy. Are the bushings replaceable? or do you have to replace the whole arm?

Interesting about the H&R springs as well, they are on my "wish list" so to speak, maybe I should look at getting them sooner rather than later and see if that helps with the rubbing.
      It is probably worth getting the solid end links sold on Vivaperformance.com. I have been looking into them as they do not have rubber nor poly bushings that will give out over time.
      15 Volvo XC60 R-Design Platinum Pearl White Metallic, POLESTAR EXHAUST TDI Tuning Box, POLESTAR TUNED , IPD Rear Sway Bar and links, IPD POLY TORQUE ROD Koni FSD's, Eibach Loweing Springs, Powerflex Torque Bushing, Bloxsport wheel spacers
      Sold: 2008 Volvo C30 2.0 Java/Cosmic White, Manual, Elevate Tune, Weird OEM Mood Lighting Kit, EST Catback Exhaust, Koni STR.T, H&R Springs, Injen Intake, 19' BBS SR Wheels, Ion Yellow Fogs,
      SoldL 2006 Volvo V70R, Magic Blue, Stock

Quote Originally Posted by odiespankers07 View Post
      It is probably worth getting the solid end links sold on Vivaperformance.com. I have been looking into them as they do not have rubber nor poly bushings that will give out over time.
      Is that the adjustable ones? These - https://www.vivaperformance.com/heav...s80-xc60-xc70/

Hey guys! I'm running 245/45/18 PSS on stock 18x8 Ixion wheel with 10mm spacers here. The only time it rubbed is when I had 14 sacks of landscape stones in the trunk plus two passengers in the rear on a off-camber on-ramp. My rear tires got push into the wheel-well so much and it rubbed on the upper 2~3mm on the Michelin tire lettering on the side wall. I don't think I will get any rub with the 235/45/18 size in such extreme condition. lol.

Last edited by f10167; 03-07-2020 at 03:29 AM.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design Platinum Crystal White Pearl - iPd Rear Sway Bar + Endlinks, Jetex 3" Performance Exhaust, K&N Filter, PSS 245/45/18, Ferrita Downpipe, do88 Intercooler, RICA Stage 2
      2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon World Rally Blue Stage-II (Sold)

Yup, just the bushing is what Volvo calls to be replaced. I’ll dig up the part number for you on Monday. 🙂

Just to piece together fitment facts around what some of you have either implied or wondered about: There are few reliable absolutes around what will and won’t be the point at which a car rubs with a particular wheel/ tire/ offset/ spring combo unless you factor in ALL the relevant variables, not just tire size, spacer size, and spring choice. There is so little wiggle room within the narrow wheel well, small wheel opening, and even narrower wheel liner, that any little variable change can make a P3 car rub when someone else’s doesn’t with the “same” specs. For example:

The shape and width of the sidewall can vary tremendously from one model of tire to another of the same size rating, even within the same brand, for instance. Some fit very square with edge of the tire while some have significant sidewall bulge or even some intentional overhang as a rim protector feature. Any extra visual chunkiness, raised lettering, etc. can use up valuable space where a cleaner sidewall design might have room to breathe.

Roll resistance and suspension compliance. Even with the same springs, there are lots of additional factors that will determine how much the suspension will move around. What dampers are you using? Stock or aftermarket rear sway bar? What kind of bushings and end links? Are your dampers fresh or have they softened up over time?

Bushing deflection and any wear items that can cause the camber and toe angles to move around under load. Newer stock hardware will likely have significantly less bushing deflection allowing for tighter fitment tolerances than with a high mileage car with worn pivot points.

Alignment specs. Small differences in toe and camber angles will change the location of the top of the tire slightly through it’s arc of travel as the suspension articulates, which can mean the difference between a given combo rubbing or not rubbing.

Hope these details help add some additional clarity to a good discussion.
      Last edited by Bunnspeed; 03-07-2020 at 09:40 AM.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

Wheels - SUPERTURISMO LMs 19x8.5 et45 5x108 Tire Size - 245/40/19 Spacers - None Suspension - KW coilovers Ride Height - Highest setting with 15” spring spacers. Any rubbing? - No, fenders rolled.
      Attached Images Attached Images

Suspension / Wheel Set ups go- Let's see yours

2016 T5 2.5 S60. Need some expert advice from you guys, looking to see if I should lower my car and what are the pros and cons with doing so. Currently stock running on 17” but really hate the space with the wheel well in the rear wheels. Looking to lower if it does not impact the ride and hurt the car. I’m sure I will need to make some sacrifice. How should I go about this. Appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by digoleo View Post
      Wheels - Ixion II 8x20"

Tire Size - 235/35/20

Spacers - None

Suspension - Stock with sport springs

Ride Height - Not measured

Any rubbing? - Nope

20200207_173304 by Rodrigo Leonardo, no Flickr

20200207_170311 by Rodrigo Leonardo, no Flickr
      where did you get that front lip? Your set up is so nice and clean! trying to hunt someone down who can sell their XC wheels to me! ha!

Wheels - 19" XC40 31445813 5 Spokes
      Tire Size - 235/40R19 Continental VikingContact 7
      Spacers - None
      Suspension - Stock R-Design
      Ride Height - Not sure
      Any rubbing? - Negative
      89970419_551562022150365_6713290903080927232_n.jpg
      2015.5 V60 R Design Platinum w/ Polestar Tune
      Elevate Rear Sway Bar
      Powerflex Race Torque Rod Inserts
      Magnaflow 11265 Muffler w/ 4" Tips
      Philips Extreme Vision D3S HIDs
      Interior LED Swap
      10MM/15MM Spacers
      25% Tint

Summer:
      Current: 235/40R19 Continental PureContact LS
      Previous: 245/40R19 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
      19" Ixion IIs

Winter:
      235/40R19 Continental VikingContact 7
      19" XC40 31445813 5 Spokes

Figure I share my winter 18” setup too for reference.

Wheels - 18x 8" +40
      Tire Size - 235/40/18
      Spacers - None
      Suspension - R-Design struts with H&R springs
      Ride Height - Lowered Front .60" / Rear .50" *Only if you have R-design struts. The RD struts allow the R cars to sit lower from factory than the normal T5/T6 variants.
      Any rubbing? - None.

Last edited by EdVQ37; 03-23-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Wheels - Fast FC04 19x8.5 ET45
      Tire Size - 235/40/19 ( soon to be Michelin pilot super sports 245/35/19
      Spacers - None
      Suspension - stock rdesign shocks with H&R springs
      Any rubbing? - Nope none at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Has anyone run a 235/45-19 with a stock R-Design/Sport suspension setup? This is the stock size for 19s on a Cross Country. We are lowering our S60CC and I am wondering if there will be any rubbing issues.
      2016 V60CC Platinum
      2016 S60CC Platinum
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus (family)

Previous:
      2017 S90 Inscription T6 AWD, 2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

Thats like 15mm taller sidewall. Probably fine on stock RD suspension, but wouldnt want to put any lower springs in there
      2015.5 V60 T5e - Various suspension and P* bits

Let’s see if these pics attach correctly...
      here are my first pics of my car with my favorite wheels on it.
      They’ve been used on a few other of my Volvo’s as I love them. They are OEM Aston Martin wheels manufactured by Speedline. Custom powder coated for previous vehicle but I think the color is ok for now, albeit almost too matchy-matchy in certain lighting. Fitted with high quality US made custom adapter spacers (wheels are not direct bolt on.)
      19x8.5” front with 235/35/19
      19x9.5” rear with 265/30/19
      Stock RD suspension
      Definitely no rubbing, will be getting more correct tires sooner than later as this car can definitely fit more rubber.

D129CB0E-121C-46CD-A785-57C20A224B38_1588825169170.jpg8CCF9013-1D6B-47D3-9E89-8EF3435E5D1C_1588825192100.jpg
      Last edited by carreragt7; 05-06-2020 at 11:27 PM.
      Current- 15 V60 T6 AWD RD Platinum P* Tuned
      Graveyard/Parts Bin/Projects:
      05 S40 T5 AWD GT Satin Pearl White
      06 V50 T5 AWD GT
      07 V50 T5 AWD M66

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2