SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Stop leak for oil leaks in 2007 xc90 4.4L V8

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Paul1963 
#1 ·
Although I’m a retired Audi tech and can do this job it’s just more then I can tackle now that I have Lyme disease The job Is very involved to remove and replace valve cover gaskets on an 07 xc90 v8
Has anyone used a stop leak additive with success?

#2 ·
No. Don't even think about that. As a former tech you should know that stuff doesn't work and only causes issues.
It's not that bad a job. I would recommend getting the PCV hoses under the intake as if they are not cracked now, they will be when intake plenum is removed. And be prepared to repair the ignition coil grounds as they tend to also break when removed.

#3 · (Edited)
Although I'm a retired Audi tech and can do this job it's just more then I can tackle now that I have Lyme disease The job Is very involved to remove and replace valve cover gaskets on an 07 xc90 v8
Has anyone used a stop leak additive with success?
If I didn't have an other option, I'd use the Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. I've never used the synthetic one and it does not claim to stop or slow leaks; just the conventional (original) one. Start with half a bottle and increase to recommended proportion as needed. Takes several drives to begin slowing leaks. When I used the conventional Lucas HD Stabilizer with synthetic oil, I shortened my oil change interval. Lucas also makes a stop Leak, but I've never used it. I imagine it works as well as anything out there. Here's my attempt to figure out what the oil weight would end up as when adding the stabilizer:
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89721

Here is an excerpt from that thread, I do think the Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer is about a 60W oil, the Stop Leak is likely a higher weight, but that's accounted for here; it's based on adding 2C additive to 26C of oil:

The best information I can find on LOS is that it is a 60W oil w/ not really any additives. Below maths that I hope I did right, is for a 2003 T6 XC90 with a 28 cup oil change using 2C of Lucas Oil Stabilizer and 26C motor oil. Again, best info I could find is that the Lucas is 60W.

The maths: 2C LOS added to 5W-30:
If the Lucas is 60W, then it is 8.9W-32
if 80W, then 10.3W-33.5
if 100W, then 11.7W-35

The maths: 2C LOS added to 0W-30:
if 60W, then 4.2W-32.1
if 80W, then 5.7W-33.6
if 100W, then 7.1W-35

*edit: the Lucas did work on my T6 oil leaks, but the transmission forward apply band broke and I scrapped it.

#4 ·
The gaps left by the seals shrinking and being blown out I would guess would be too large for stop leak to work effectively. Also because the covers are raised slightly on spacers, there is a possibility of gunk getting back in once the stop leak activates.

#6 ·
Lucas has one now that’s specific for gaskets not just seals
It’s in a 5w-30 oil so it does not dramatically increase the oil pressure or viscosity of the oil
It’s new not the standard one for oil leaks
I’m going to give it a try
I have a very debilitating disease that makes it impossible to lean(lay) over my engine to get to the rear valve cover and today it’s very expensive to have this job done so I’m going with this instead
Later maybe next year I’ll be able to tackle it if the leak rears it’s ugly head

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.