SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Humming noise when braking at very low speed

10K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Power6 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed a slight humming noise when you are braking? I can only hear the humming noise when the brake is applied and the car is about to stop - not when I first apply the brakes to slow the car down. I can also hear it when the car is idling and the brakes are released - but once the speed is over 3mph, I no longer hear it.

#2 ·
could be slightly uneven pad deposition on your rotors and you only can notice it when the car is super slow/quiet. If you don't feel any jerking or pulsing I wouldn't worry about it.

#3 ·
I think this behavior is what would be called the "release" characteristics of the brake pads. Lots of performance pads I've used over the years make a little groan or felt as a vibration when as you stop or start at slow speeds. It's a tradeoff of a pad compound that works well stop after stop when heated up good for track days.

In my experience American and Japanese mfrs prioritize these little things like low dusting on the wheels and the release being smooth, over brake performance under high speed conditions like 100-0 MPH stop probably just due to the low speed limits in the home countries. European makes are more likely to use a pad that sacrifices a little bit of the "manners" to meet a higher performance goal, like being able to perform a couple high speed stops before fade sets in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.