SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

JaredR's Mom's 1999 Pewter S70 GLT

35K views 400 replies 35 participants last post by  JaredR 
#1 · (Edited)
100k miles. Needs an immobilizer issue resolved and obviously the standard upgrades and then it should be epic.

See less See more
#6 ·
Looks nice! Just waiting on the fun parts now.

#11 ·
Lol chances she'd ever notice approximately 0%

I was waiting for this thread to start. Nice car. What you gonna do with door panels?
These wheels are great example of what happens when you don't care about the brakes and wheels.
Yeah and they feel like they're all bent too so those gotta go. Plan is to use them to scrap the 04 on. This car will be getting Perfo wrapped in zLine AS. And 302s.

#15 ·
Just picked up a pewter S70 myself from Bobby. Black interior and I have some plans to make it fun. We're gonna have to get them together.

#16 ·
We almost bought that one but I really wanted to stay 99+ for anything that is not intended as a toy.

#19 · (Edited)
Let's dial up a constructive day:

Now that we're not hungry, let's find out what we bought:

Low miles! Lol. Whatever.

Ok seriously who puts a sticker here. Like come on. Are you trying to get rear ended?

Luckily it came off easily.

Oh dear. This is going to need some major cleanup.

Amazing how much you can get done in 3 hours when you have two people who know what they're doing.

Have we made a big enough mess of the yard yet?

Ooh clean things. Magic erasers FTW.

Paint needs some help. This doesn't need to be and won't be to the level of my projects but I am still probably going to see how it'll polish out once the 850R is out of the way. I won't work on paint outside at this point.

Upon closer inspection, this mismatched area has been painted. Makes sense given that we knew the port side doors were both replaced.

There is some damage to the base of the B pillar. Seems to be fairly isolated and the car drives straight so not a major concern.

More clean things :thumbup:

#124 · (Edited)
Paint needs some help. This doesn't need to be and won't be to the level of my projects but I am still probably going to see how it'll polish out once the 850R is out of the way. I won't work on paint outside at this point.
So anyone remember that? Uh, yeah, that didn't really work out lol. Aside from the scratches in the hood and chips in the driver's door, this paint is up to the level of my projects. Polished up the port side this afternoon and went for a photo cruise. I think my mom might be winning for best $1200 car ever. It's almost as mint as the pictures make it look. Might try to go after those chips in the driver's door with the Volvo touch up paint kit that came with the car. Anybody have mint pewter bumpers they'd like to sell?

#20 ·
I hope thats coffee stain on the carpets and not "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" Why is Dad washing the hull of the red boat when there is plenty of Volvo stuff to do. Ha, JK, great job on the level of detailing. Even pulling the climate control and stereo knobs for a thorough cleaning. Are you gonna swap wheels or is Mom good with the current set up ?

#22 ·
Coming from cupholder area so definitely fits the profile of coffee.

The cargo area mat is sitting on the red boat. We were using everything available to put carpets on.

I am not good with the current setup. Getting Perfo wrapped in zLine AS and 302s. I have no idea if she cares but the current setup isn't up to my safety standards. Yokohama Avid Touring. They're terrible.

Good work. Fun looking at the pics. We've all been there. What product are you using on the carpets?
Soap and water.

#21 ·
Good work. Fun looking at the pics. We've all been there. What product are you using on the carpets?

#28 ·
My mom insists on things being clean! That said, this will be a daily for her in a similar sense that my S60 is a daily for me, minus the road trips. She does about 3,000 miles a year and doesn't like going out in bad weather (and usually has the option not to).

Amazing what you can get done with a little elbow grease - cleaning up beautifully.

What's up with that driver side rear door card - when they replaced the door they didn't switch cards?
That is my guess too. It was never even plugged in lol. Obviously that's not going to do so I'll need to find an oak door panel.

#27 ·
Amazing what you can get done with a little elbow grease - cleaning up beautifully.

What's up with that driver side rear door card - when they replaced the door they didn't switch cards?

#29 ·
Amazing how white those seats are now.

#30 ·
yeah everything is cleaning up really nicely. Heater core coming in tomorrow. Hopefully get that in and get it registered this week so we can start driving it!

#31 ·
What heater core do you use in your cars? I know some swear by the swedish car part ones, some hate them, etc.

#33 ·
Very nice! Looks in similar condition to my S70 that's currently for sale. I'm honestly a little disappointed that I can't keep it for a daily, it's just so nice and clean... but I can't keep em all.
The interior looks mint from the pictures!

I've always used them and never had a problem, but failures aren't unheard of. On my old '98 V70, the one I replaced was an SCP core, and it was leaking ever so slightly. It was an older version with black end tanks though, so who knows if it was updated.

#32 ·
Nissens this time

#43 ·
Now that I've gotten Vol-FCR up and running I think it's about a wash in terms of ease of maintenance, but it has been a lot easier to learn how to use FCR than VIDA though. The inability to test things sucks but that's made up by cheaper parts IMO (dist & plug wires vs. coils & etm).

Amazing progress on the new ride Jared, you're reminding me of how sticky & gross my steering wheel is LOL

#52 ·
Vol-FCR is definitely easier to click through than VIDA, the annoying thing with VIDA is waiting for the wonderfully slow Internet Explorer. Maybe if I use it with Firefox or Chrome it'll run faster.
As for testing things, check out the 850 OBD2 app on Android if you have an Android phone or tablet. I have it on my tablet and it's awesome for M4.4 cars. It allows you to test various things (like the fan) and it's easier than having a laptop with you if you need to diagnose something away from home.
Someone please enlighten me to what makes me4 cars easier to work on? I can't think of anything whatsoever that's simpler or easier on a N block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree... I started on a M4.4 car, and I find the ME7 cars so much easier. The intake manifold, for one... the M4.4 manifold is HUGE. Not particularly hard, but it's a little more annoying to work with. ME7 manifold comes off way easier except for that stupid banjo bolt for the PCV. That's the one drawback.
The accessories too... so much easier on '99+. The alternator takes half the time to replace. And that rigid fuel line that goes over the engine to the intake manifold, that's always in the way. Not a problem on RNs.

When I did a bunch of work recently on my old '98 wagon, I was a little aggravated. I got too used to my 2000, and it was a slight learning curve going back to working on a -'98.
LOL, I think most criminal minds these days are focused on newer cars. (Hell, here in Chicago it's the bump from behind that you have to worry about.) The GUL estate might attract attention in general, but the subset of people who know what it is AND would be willing to steal it when parked on the street has to be pretty small; especially, at some random hotel next to the expressway. You're probably in bigger danger in front of your own house just because of the info you've released online slowly over time. Not that I think that's what would happen but there's a slim possibility.
I don't know how non-car people look at a car like a yellow T-5R... they either think "man, that's an awful color" or they think it's just your average Volvo wagon. For some reason a lot of people don't like cream yellow... I love it.
That's why I'd be a little wary buying a laser or saffron V70R, though... I don't like the attention. I'd still love any of these colors.
I mean it's not just that......access to everything is way better in a RN engine bay. I was pulling the thermostat off the engine from my old red/tan 850R for comparison a couple days ago and it was dramatically harder to do OUT of the car than a RN thermostat housing IN the car.

Only thing easier -98 is working on 850 interiors vs x70.
I've had a harder time with 850 interiors. Things like the dash (from what I remember, at least) required a lot more disassembly than the X70s. Nothing is particularly hard to work with on either, though.
The window switch on the X70 is a lot less of a mess, that's for sure!

#50 ·
LOL, I think most criminal minds these days are focused on newer cars. (Hell, here in Chicago it’s the bump from behind that you have to worry about.) The GUL estate might attract attention in general, but the subset of people who know what it is AND would be willing to steal it when parked on the street has to be pretty small; especially, at some random hotel next to the expressway. You’re probably in bigger danger in front of your own house just because of the info you’ve released online slowly over time. Not that I think that’s what would happen but there’s a slim possibility.

#64 ·
When you referred to the bump from behind, would that be someone trying to have you get out of the car, and then rob you?

Nora in Florida
Sorry, just noticed this reply now. Yes, at a stop light or sign they will tap the back of your car lightly. When you get out to check on things, two/three guys jump out of the other car and hold you at gun point for your wallet/purse, phone and steal you car. Usually they target a nicer car but not always. A few people were taken to ATM's to withdraw money before being released. Usually the car used to commit the crime is itself stolen. Fun times.

#53 ·
Catching up on the thread, looking good Jared! My first car was a beige/beige GLT SE so I have a soft spot for em, Perfos should look good!

#60 ·
What do we have here?

Amp and hacked up harness from the mousemobile?

Hmmm.....not nearly as bad as expected after removing all the aftermarket garbage.

Cool. We can have good sound now.

Lol.

Also swapped the heater core. Not sure what happened with the pictures of that. And ditched this gross coolant. Running straight water in it right now to clean all that crap out. Then time for some Volvo coolant. Maybe swap in a better coolant reservoir too if it is still looking gross.