SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

JaredR's Mom's 1999 Pewter S70 GLT

35K views 400 replies 35 participants last post by  JaredR 
#1 · (Edited)
100k miles. Needs an immobilizer issue resolved and obviously the standard upgrades and then it should be epic.

See less See more
#61 · (Edited)
Oh and we finally got the paperwork problems sorted out and got it registered today. Needs 302s ASAP. Currently rolling with the WRG3 on the Perfo and I couldn't lock them up. Not sure how anyone drives around with 280s. What a joke. About as effective as engine braking in the S60. Also needs some fresh tires since the WRG3 are from 2014.

#62 ·
That amp wiring is a mess! I hate when people get creative and start trying to add things... gotta love those household butt connectors.

#67 ·
Drained the "straight water" I put in and it was still gross.

So I put more water in it swapped out the coolant reservoir because that was gross, too.

Luckily had a way better one in stock.

After flushing it out with even more water it finally started running clean. Time for the good stuff.

Was looking at the lights wondering why the harnesses didn't fit. Kinda forgot these were a thing lol. Such a stupid part.

Also the lights looked like ass.

So we did this.

gross.

#72 ·
Looks like you had a couple extra mouse power ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cleaning that air box out just freed up about 50 hp!

That coolant was pretty nasty!
Haha yeah. Need to go see if I can break 60 on the neighborhood drag strip now. Only made it to 55 last time, but part of it is the fact that the brakes don't really do anything so I need to use a lot of it to stop lol. That's happening real soon, too. The 280s were strong enough to lock up the Yokohama Avid Touring but are hopeless with the WRG3. We have a major situation if I have more tire than brake with WRG3.

Jeez. What do the plugs look like??
I bet that thing runs so much better now.
Yeah I think I should order some plugs lol. Need wipers anyway so time for an FCP order!

That cabin filter reminds me of the one I just changed on the XC70 I got. On the P3's it's a little tricky to change so most people just don't change them. Then again, most people don't change them on cars where the access is easy, lol. It's amazing the air flow I got afterwards!
People don't maintain anything lol. Look at this thing....it was well on its way to destruction but only 100k of abuse so still easy to save it.

#69 ·
Jeez. What do the plugs look like??
I bet that thing runs so much better now.

#70 ·
That cabin filter reminds me of the one I just changed on the XC70 I got. On the P3's it's a little tricky to change so most people just don't change them. Then again, most people don't change them on cars where the access is easy, lol. It's amazing the air flow I got afterwards!

#71 ·
Cleaning that air box out just freed up about 50 hp!

That coolant was pretty nasty!

#73 ·
I agree that 280s aren’t the best and 302s and other upgrades are obviously way better but you guys make it seem like they don’t stop the car lol.
I’ve been daily driving my Shiit70 to work for over 3 years / 65k miles now, everyday, up hills, down hills, highway, snow, rain,etc. I never once felt like I couldn’t stop or control the car just fine. I also drive it like a normal car though, I don’t drive it fast or aggressive. Just regular lol. It’s a slow car. Meant to be driven slow. I hate so much when people drive cars fast that can’t handle speed. When I get in the S60R, VR, or on my CBR that’s a different story. Not saying you’re driving it too fast but to say that’s in unsafe or can’t stop or terrifying or whatever is just very very untrue and exaggerated to a high degree. As long as all the brake parts are in good condition, there’s no reason why 280s can’t safely stop the car.

#74 ·
I agree that 280s aren't the best and 302s and other upgrades are obviously way better but you guys make it seem like they don't stop the car lol.
I've been daily driving my Shiit70 to work for over 3 years / 65k miles now, everyday, up hills, down hills, highway, snow, rain,etc. I never once felt like I couldn't stop or control the car just fine. I also drive it like a normal car though, I don't drive it fast or aggressive. Just regular lol. It's a slow car. Meant to be driven slow. I hate so much when people drive cars fast that can't handle speed. When I get in the S60R, VR, or on my CBR that's a different story. Not saying you're driving it too fast but to say that's in unsafe or can't stop or terrifying or whatever is just very very untrue and exaggerated to a high degree. As long as all the brake parts are in good condition, there's no reason why 280s can't safely stop the car.

Chris I caught you on 84 with a 5 minute head start in a T5M while driving your NA...

#75 · (Edited)
Yeah I was going like 65 mph, in the nautic T5M, which was somebody else's car. I'm not going to speed in someone else's car. Which is why Ben used to let me take his S60 T5M home when I needed a ride from his shop. Unfortunately no one will be driving that car ever again. [emoji853]
I'm just saying the brakes that came on the car stop it just fine. If people really think they NEED 302mm brakes versus 280mm to not in get in accidents left and right then they need to reconsider how they drive. I do agree the 302 are better and stop better. Just don't tell me you're not stopping the car safely with the brakes it came with lol.

#76 · (Edited)
You can fade 280s with one hard stop from 65 on the highway. Depending on the pads, with good tires. With crap rubber....yikes. We had issues with the avid ascend on a 940 just not stopping very well so there's that too.

Your NA with 280s, ate pads, always hella fresh zimmerman rotors and grippy wrg4 plus a brake flush certainly stops well enough for grandma driving but if you ride the brakes down echo lake or dive off 84 onto 8 north it's not even comparable to both of our wagons with 302s and hawk pads.

#77 ·
Even my 302s leave me feeling uneasy at times. I had to stop pretty short on the highway last week and it was close... time for different pads, I think. I haven't changed the Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads that were on it when I bought it.
My 940 actually stops really well, I just replaced the calipers, lines, pads, and rotors with all new Centric stuff I bought off a guy on Facebook. And Techna-fit stainless lines from FCP. I still need to redo the rear brakes.

The 280s will do just fine with good pads for regular driving. They felt like crap in my old '98, but I really wasn't a fan of the Centric ceramic pads I had on there... they sucked. Any kind of spirited driving requires bigger brakes.

#79 ·
940 can take 850 calipers for 280s if you use 940 rotors. The calipers get flipped side for side but then you get a much better caliper design.

#83 ·
S70 actually starting to look decent.

Took it to the McLaren dealer for state inspection. Figured they wouldn't get it gross. Well the guy doing the inspection washed his hands after checking the suspension so I think that was a success!

#87 ·
Took it to the McLaren dealer for state inspection.
I love it! That's an awesome shot. Question. What's with the image of the house being projected on the roll-up door?

Edit: I figured it out. You're standing behind some glass and it's the reflection from behind you.

#85 · (Edited)
That's what I thought. All the McLaren techs walked over and were like dafuq lol. I'll probably be back in a couple months with my T-5R. That will look even more at home in there.

#86 ·
Perfect place for it! I'll have to go to the local Lamborghini dealer for my next inspection just for their reaction.

#89 ·
These scratches suck.

Still not great but much better. Gotta wait for tomorrow to see how those nasty scratches look in the light. Not sure how crazy I am going to go on this car. Can't really proceed further until I get the R out of my building and can work under controlled lighting, and who knows if I will have the time or interest to do it at that point lol

#91 ·
LOL. All I'll say......that didn't work out so hot last time.

#93 ·
Scratches in the hood still visible now that the lighting is decent but MUCH better.

On to the trunklid. Intentionally underexposed to show scratches on left. Right side has already been polished.

Don't mind those dark blotches between the porch post reflections; I had dust on the lens or something

Not bad. Definitely way better than anything else my mom has ever had.

#100 ·
I've wanted to try those. A season out of them is good, you're lucky to get a whole car out of the HF cheap pads.

#104 ·
I wouldn't dry them outdoors; don't want them to pick up whatever crap is floating in the air. I don't really even like using them outside but for some reason I am working on polishing cars instead of finishing my 850R so I don't really have a choice on that.

#105 ·
Solution: go finish your 850R! Lol

#107 ·
Mom decided the ECE mirror was cool. So now she has one. If she ever goes anywhere again lol.

You may remember this super gross door panel was there. Correct one was never put in when the door was replaced.

Annoyingly the door was apparently originally for dark interior. Need to get a handle and this whole backing plate thing and swap it out. Handle is gross anyway so whatever.

Much better.

#109 ·
So, your dad gets the R cards but your mom doesn't?
Yeah cause this car is oak. Oak R panels essentially don't exist. Yeah yeah my dad's T5 is oak but that car is built out of stuff that isn't supposed to exist. The NA is tan interior as are the R panels.

#112 ·
That wouldn't work because the failure is in the foam backing. It would be like trying to reglue a headliner.

It's a two tone Oak/Arena I think is what it's officially called. Oak R panels are really rare - JRL had a set at one point IIRC.

I tried recovering mine with an oak colored vinyl and it was just okay - really hard to get the material to lay flat in the inner recesses of the door panel. I have seen some aftermarket inserts for sale from a European vendor.
I remember JRL claiming to have had a set but I don't think I ever saw pictures of it. Either way, crazy rare. Any chance you got a link for the aftermarket ones?

#117 · (Edited)
New approach for breakfast. Was surprisingly effective. Got me about 6 hours into the day's projects before I was even thinking about food....

This shiit gotta go. I truly do not understand how you guys with 280s don't crash more often. I had to try pretty hard to stop this thing with these brakes and I think my mom literally would not have had the physical strength to do a panic stop. I was pushing as hard as I physically could and still could not lock up the WRG3 on an even surface.....and WRG3 aren't even super sticky in the dry.

So:

Hour later :facepalm: thanks to every stupid thing possible going wrong. Other side took 19 minutes :thumbup:. And we're back to having more brake than tire now so that's good, too. Need to upgrade to some zLines, although that will wait till the apocalypse is over.

That looks really bad. How convenient I have a new one in stock. Don't mind the oil filter. Was gonna do that too but someone put the drain plug in with air or something stupid so I'm not touching that again till my 6 point 17mm impact socket comes.

?

?

?

Stuffed a Dolby module in the dash and threw in a SC-901 cause the SC-816 was not cutting it.

Had a moondust wing in stock. Been sitting on this for like 3 years lol. close enough.

rear pads now that we're turned around in the driveway.

Polishing the starboard side......check this out. Looks like we got some touch up paint here? So apparently someone hit/got hit by something and got some black paint transfer. Solution? Put touch up paint OVER THE PAINT TRANSFER! :facepalm:

Luckily I figured out what was going on and realized there was a better way.