SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

JaredR's Mom's 1999 Pewter S70 GLT

35K views 400 replies 35 participants last post by  JaredR 
#1 · (Edited)
100k miles. Needs an immobilizer issue resolved and obviously the standard upgrades and then it should be epic.

See less See more
#118 ·
Who the hell puts those hose clamps upside down like that? Just dealt with one like that the other day. Don’t even know how they do it! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#119 ·
Who the hell puts those hose clamps upside down like that? Just dealt with one like that the other day. Don't even know how they do it! Lol

Simple answer: someone who broke an overflow nipple off once. Admittedly I'd orientate the hose clamp differently than pictured but anywhere to not have an interference with that nipple and a ratchet.

#123 ·
Need a pewter one. However I may have a lead on a pewter one locally in which case I would love to trade this one for some cash.

#129 ·
Hadn't thought about it honestly. My mom doesn't drive in the snow and tries to avoid going out in the wet so probably not super relevant for this car.

Looks great JaredR. You did such a nice job on the paintwork on a couple of your other cars a few years ago, maybe give it a try on the bumpers here?
Definitely been thinking about that. Lot of work though. If nothing shows up that could eventually end up being the move. My mom and I agree that these bumpers are absolutely unacceptable so something will happen eventually.

#127 ·
Looks great JaredR. You did such a nice job on the paintwork on a couple of your other cars a few years ago, maybe give it a try on the bumpers here?

#131 ·
Yeah, Frost Green is base/clear. I found the single stage MUCH easier to work with. Base/color coat on base/clear is the lowest build finish I have ever worked with - all the build is in the clear. The prep work has to bet 100% perfect or you WILL see the problems. Realistically I should redo the Frost Green bumpers at some point for that reason. Other issue is the spray gun I have is ok for single stage but the droplets are also way too big for two stage. If I used some high build primer and got a different spray gun it would probably come out pretty good. But, even then, it's probably a 10-15 hour project. Trying to avoid that if I can.

#136 ·
101k.

#137 ·
I'm jealous of that gas mileage...

#138 ·
Lol I got in here and was like "wow this mpg sucks" coming from my current tank average in my T-5R. Got a tank of ethanol free 91 in NH last weekend and was getting 29 mpg before I started doing WOT 0-35 runs around the neighborhood to break in all the pads I've been swapping out. I'm down into the 26s now.

#141 ·
Sheesh, you guys still measure in Miles Per Gallon?! I'm out here measuring Months Per Gallon. lol

#143 ·
Yeah, gotta love the extra weight of the AWD!

#144 ·
lol time for a AWD diet

#146 ·
I've just been buying more gas at a time since it's so cheap... I used to only put in half a tank at a time in each car since I'm not always driving one car. I've been using a tank every other week or so with the R, same with the 940. Granted both of these cars get AWFUL gas mileage.

#147 ·
uhhhhh we've only bought gas for this car ONCE the entire time we've owned it.........and we've had it registered for almost 3 months.

#148 ·
I drive a lot... and I drive my cars hard lol.

#149 ·
well this car can't leave town because the tires have bubbles LOL. Obviously gonna fix that but, at the rate we're driving these days, I figured I might as well wait as long as possible to up my chances as much as possible to get revised zLines when I order.

#150 ·
Makes sense. If it's not needing to be driven much, might as well wear out the bad tires before buying new ones!

#151 ·
Bought some tires.

Sending them back.

#152 ·
Where'd you get them from?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#156 ·
Eeek... those are old.

And they're Nokians... you mean tyres :D

#161 ·
It's crazy to think but those tires are probably in a bit of an oddball size now.

#163 ·
Compared to tires on new cars, 15s and 16s in general are definitely an oddball size.

#164 ·
Scored this 99.9% mint burl plastic shift knob at the JY the other day. Even the button is 100% perfect! Still hate this stuff (someone trade me a a full set of equivalent condition real wood trim plzzz) but it's so much better than the gross stock plastic knob.

Good riddance to this abomination.

#165 ·
Eew... those stock knobs are so awful. Gotta have a wood or leather one!

I got lucky and found a like new later 940/960 shift knob at the junkyard a while back, and those are HARD to find (unless you just buy a new one obviously, and I think they're still available). They get NASTY over time.

#169 ·
She's driven it about 5 times lol. Thanks coronavirus. I would like my dad and I to be able to use it as our nice weather highway car for the winter (who am I kidding; we have nowhere to go, either, lol) so we're trying again to get fresh zLine AS for it. It doesn't like going WOT and threw a code for the VVT solenoid so I need to remember to get one of those at the JY. I think I'm going to put the tan Dolby dash I have in stock in this car, even though it is oak interior. The lack of center speaker is extremely noticeable. Also need to do the timing belt; it was last done at 87k miles but that was in 2010!

#172 ·
Mine isn't very noticeable either. I have to push my ear against it to hear anything lol. I've tried a few of them, and I know it's working. I think it makes a subtle difference.

Funny thing is I think I've put more miles on my cars since this whole thing started than ever before. I don't know where everyone's NOT been going all this time. I guess being that I don't have a 9-5 job, nothing changed for me in that aspect.
All I know is that I can't WAIT for everything to go back to business as usual.
Something definitely wrong with your speakers. It should be the loudest speaker in the mix when you turn the center volume knob up all the way.

My major loss in miles is from the college sailing team I coach not doing anything due to coronavirus and no summer road trips. Those were the bulk of my miles. I also got laid off from my office job but I walked/biked/public transit to that so that had no impact on my miles. I'm expert in keeping myself way too busy at home (only child problems lol) so I just don't have a reason to leave.

I can't wait for everything to go back to normal so all the unemployed idiots out joyriding or whatever is going on that's causing all the idiots to be all over the road have to go back to work and have less time to be out driving like idiots.

#171 ·
Mine isn't very noticeable either. I have to push my ear against it to hear anything lol. I've tried a few of them, and I know it's working. I think it makes a subtle difference.

Funny thing is I think I've put more miles on my cars since this whole thing started than ever before. I don't know where everyone's NOT been going all this time. I guess being that I don't have a 9-5 job, nothing changed for me in that aspect.
All I know is that I can't WAIT for everything to go back to business as usual.

#182 ·
Got some fresh zLines for this car. They're 2016s. I gave up on finding anything newer.