SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

JaredR's Mom's 1999 Pewter S70 GLT

35K views 400 replies 35 participants last post by  JaredR 
#1 · (Edited)
100k miles. Needs an immobilizer issue resolved and obviously the standard upgrades and then it should be epic.

See less See more
#232 ·
Yep, thermostat for sure. Maybe the ECT sensor too while it's apart.

#233 · (Edited)
The plugs were very wrong so I installed some fresh Volvo plugs

Then I went sailing with these guys (yes we know it's January.....not like we can hang out indoors so might as well just send it on acting like it's summer)

and found fuel economy had improved dramatically.

Also ordered fresh coils and a thermostat. What you see above is as hot as the engine got after driving an hour, about half of that on the highway. I still think this car should be getting 30 mpg on the highway but we're making major progress. Tank average is holding in the mid 25s.

My dad isn't happy with the ride quality in this car (it's on green marked springs front and whatever rear sedan spring pairs with that) and a killer deal on some H&R sedan springs came along last night so we picked those up too.

#234 ·
Fresh coils and thermostat.

Apparently I must have been trying too hard to get 27 mpg when I reported than in my previous post. My dad took it to CT and fuel economy promptly fell to 25 at 75-80. But I drove it yesterday and I was getting 27 without trying and 28+ with trying the fresh thermostat definitely helped. I still think it should be closer to 30 cruising on the highway at 70. Tempted to have the injectors refurbed but I'm probably just going to put blues and a 15G and the 00 T5A tune on it so that seems not worth it.

And you can see the temp is dead on now so the old thermostat was definitely toast.

#237 ·
This is making me want to find another P80 as a daily... I'm so jealous of that gas mileage. Even my E39 gets 24.2 at best, but that should go up a little when I swap in an electric fan.

Reactions: JaredR
#238 ·
E39s have mechanical fans?!

#242 ·
Put on the Canopus/WRG4 since it's snowy and the NA is out of service and there were toys to be scored at the JY

then we got bbq

#243 ·
Did you guys have to fist fight for the M56? 😆

Nice haul though! Looks a little chilly to pull a transmission. I was spoiled with 65 degree sunny weather yesterday, so I was finally able to do a bunch of work on the E39.

#244 ·
No lol, only one of us has a use for a M56LK.

It was well into the 30s, calm, and sunny. I would have been 100% comfortable if I hadn't gotten snow in my boots while throwing the WRG4 on the S70.

#247 ·
This car came home 1 year and 7 minutes ago. We've come a long way.....over the last 2,219 miles lol. My dad got 103k earlier this afternoon.

Very much enjoying getting to cruise around in this car this winter. Can't wait for the next batch of upgrades this spring.

#249 ·
I don't love them but they serve a purpose and have grown on me some. Good for keeping snow out of the brakes. I had some sketchy moments with that back when we were rocking Antlia year-round on the NA and it's nice not having that problem with these.

#250 ·
Port side wheel bearing failed. 1/4 bolt heads failed on disassembly.

Angle grinder to the rescue

Handbrake apparently stopped working since last year........so much for passing safety inspection on time. Time to open the parts cannon.

Dislike that these are on clearance........

#254 ·
One thing for Volvo's engineering - pretty amazing it was still functioning with all that rust!

To the clearance point, my local indie just tossed a lot of new parts for older models in the trash, it was all over the local Volvo fb page suggesting people go and help themselves. That said, I doubt it was P80 stuff, mostly old red block parts would be my guess.

#252 ·
It looks like a part that came out of the Titanic. Wow, so glad my wagon has lived all it's life in California.

Reactions: qmark
#253 ·
I was wondering what kind of Pirating he's been doing in that wagon... :geek:

#256 ·
Spring is here and work parties are back! Time to get this handbrake going again.

No wonder mom's handbrake didn't work lol

No better on the other side. Holds great with the new Volvo shoes. Refreshed with fresh Zimmerman rotors too.

#257 ·
That rust is pretty hateful looking.. It reminds me of my old VR that was from NH...it just hurts so much to see. Ever think about taking it all apart and giving the parts a little paint for protection? Or is that more work then what it is worth...

#258 ·
More trouble than it's worth. All this stuff looks awful because it's a low mile car and everything is still original. Zero rust on the car itself, and less and less rust on the wear items as I go through them.

#259 · (Edited)
The fuel pump died—gauge pegged to zero with the pump turned on in VIDA. I could hear it going on which was initially confusing but it wasn't sounding quite right and would try to start after running the pump for a while so I investigated further. And apparently the gauge isn't made from gasoline safe plastic wtf LOL.

Apparently it has already been replaced in the past. No wonder it sounded weird.

This meant that, despite having the correct Bosch pump in stock to fix this, I didn't have a pickup sock that would fit it, so I had to take the whole assembly out of the NA. Mom probably needs to drive tomorrow and it's the only automatic she's insured for so....yeah, any path to hacking it back into service. Unfortunately, it also has cracks in the plastic. This might explain why the NA always smells like gas. I guess we'll know if the S70 does now, too.

And I threw the Perfo back on since half the Canopus don't really hold air for more than a couple days. So I might as well put them on the car that's not in service. Plus mom will appreciate her tires not being flat every time she needs to go somewhere.

#260 ·
The NA needed the Perfo back so we're now rocking this sweet staggered wheel setup on the S70. Don't mind the "no parking" signs; those are illegal. The fence appears to be in the public way lol.

And I brought it inside tonight. Good things coming soon.

#261 ·
Not much happened from the time I brought it inside until yesterday. I took everything apart a, couldn't figure out why the timing belt wouldn't come off, and it was too hot out for me to bother to find out why, so here it sat like this for over a month while I worked on two other cars instead.

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Car

I was extremely confused by this because one of the projects in the meantime was a timing belt on my friend's 2000 V70 GLT, on which we had no such issues removing the timing belt. Eventually this....thing was discovered on the boss behind the harmonic balancer. Needless to say I deleted that and moved on, after having the entire project held up for a month by a tiny ring of rubber.

Automotive tire Finger Automotive design Wood Bumper

Someone cut some corners on this car

Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Finger Gas

This is more like it
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Cash Money handling

Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

Grey Font Gas Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Banjo bolt update is also applicable to P80s!

Safety glove Automotive tire Finger Auto part Automotive wheel system

Oh no. No Meyle plz. Swapped that out for a Lemforder.

Automotive tire Finger Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Never seen anything like this before. I hadn't done an oil change yet on this car because we basically haven't been driving it and I figured I might as well just wait until we did the pan job.....but that keeps not happening so here we are. So yeah don't use aftermarket oil filters. I wonder if this had anything to do with this car's suspected oil pressure issues. I guess we will find out next time I drive it.

Gas Electric blue Ingredient Cuisine Fashion accessory

And we're back together. Also threw in a few coolant hoses and some other random stuff while I was at it. More maintenance and upgrades to come, but at least I'm not worried about the timing belt blowing up anymore.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

#263 ·
I've seen a filter like that before. The cartridge ones have a bit of a tight fit so it's almost better to seat the filter first and then put the cover on.

Reactions: qmark
#264 ·
People do seem to have trouble with those oil filters for some reason. My neighbor's T5M had a massive oil leak from the filter when he tried to take it to a shop for an oil change and they messed up the o ring lol. I hate dealing with strap wrenches so I prefer dealing with these compared to the W917s on the earlier cars.

#266 ·
That looks trick. Just ordered one. Thanks for the tip.

#267 ·
Took a trip to visit a certain part out.....

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Car Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire

Someone torqued to stripped the door check strap bolt when this door was replaced in the past. ?

Household hardware Wood Door Finger Fixture

Had to back it out with vice grips.....

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Fixture Vehicle

Also ditched this trashed bumper.

Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

104k. It's also radically faster with the fresh timing belt. I suspect the base timing was off.

Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Motor vehicle

And look at that. It looks respectable now. At least from the front. Just need a rear bumper now.

Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle

#269 ·
Putting the parts car to good use!

#270 ·
That's a lifestyle around these parts

#272 ·
I guess the previous owners of it knew how to drive 🤷‍♂️