Front Storage Usage
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Front Storage Usage

Hi Everyone,

I am curious as to what uses you found for the small front storage compartment in front of the cup holders. Right now it is completely useless to me and I just leave it closed so it might as well be a piece of wood and metal trim.

Maybe I can be inspired from here to find a practical use for it.

P.S. I already thought of coins, but where I live in the U.S. nowadays, we are a coin-less society at this point.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cart napper and RFID key fobs for electrical charging.
      Sent from a device using some software

Quote Originally Posted by X3JA View Post
      Cart napper and RFID key fobs for electrical charging.
      Maybe I'm the only one missing this but what is a 'cart napper' and what is it used for? The words don't mean anything to me in conjunction.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      Maybe I'm the only one missing this but what is a 'cart napper' and what is it used for? The words don't mean anything to me in conjunction.
      Check pic
      Sent from a device using some software

Still took a moment to understand what I was seeing since I've never seen grocery carts locked up like that. Interesting.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

Quote Originally Posted by X3JA View Post
      Check pic
      Certain things that I miss about living in Europe. This was one of them!
      2018 XC60 T8 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD | Grey | SOLD

I put that screen wiping cloth they give you to clean the Sensus. But I agree for how complicated that sliding door mechanism is, the actual storage space seems only well suited for drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Holeydonut View Post
      I put that screen wiping cloth they give you to clean the Sensus. But I agree for how complicated that sliding door mechanism is, the actual storage space seems only well suited for drugs.
      Hence my joke

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

I keep my flux capacitor there, in case I'm running late for an appointment.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Not much, other than a couple quarters just-in-case (because I never have change in my pocket any more), and my microfiber cloth to clean the screen (a favorite pastime when stopped at a long light!). Honestly, I if my XC60 never had this little cubby, I wouldn’t have missed it — the expense involved with creating such a crazy small space with roll-top isn’t worth the benefit the space provides — but since I have it, well, might as well use it for something.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

By the way, if illegal drugs aren't up your alley, these drugs are legal and really useful if you ever have kids in the back on a long-ish drive.

Chapstick in colder weather, and spare iPhone charging cable in case a passenger needs it.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

I put my key in there. Since it's all alone and just has a small ring on it. Sometimes a few emergency quarters for when I'm running late and don't have the time/brain space to deal with app-payment for parking meters.

The reason that spot exists is for an ashtray. Which is pretty much only applicable in the Asian market nowadays. But that's the reason it was incorporated into the design, if anyone is curious.
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

If I had access to a 3D printer, I might design a wireless, horizontal charging pad (or simple phone backboard) where the base is conformed to fit into the ashtray space.

For now, it is mostly closed and not used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

I keep a small led flashlight in there.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Keep the plug cover for the 12 volt socket since I keep my phone charger in the socket.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

I keep a pen and a USB stick with music. I already have 2 USB sticks using the 2 slots.
      2019 XC60 Momentum T6 AWD
      Crystal White with black interior & charcoal headliner
      Climate Pkg, Vision Pkg, Convenience Pkg

I keep my airpods in the small square area and a couple of sealed packs of cigs just behind it.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

Spare change.
      2019 XC60 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey | Advanced Package | Polestar | Air Suspension

I usually sit my phone & wallet in there
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

I have a couple sets of keys in there. Sometimes a torch lighter. I keep a couple business cards & the microfiber cloth on top
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

Quote Originally Posted by deathernater View Post
      Hi Everyone,

I am curious as to what uses you found for the small front storage compartment in front of the cup holders. Right now it is completely useless to me and I just leave it closed so it might as well be a piece of wood and metal trim.

Maybe I can be inspired from here to find a practical use for it.

P.S. I already thought of coins, but where I live in the U.S. nowadays, we are a coin-less society at this point.
      Our tiny Bath & Body Works sanitizer bottle fits perfectly in the little sliding cubby thingy in front of the cup holders.

026007425.jpg
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      Our tiny Bath & Body Works sanitizer bottle fits perfectly in the little sliding cubby thingy in front of the cup holders.

026007425.jpg
      This is a great suggestion, thanks! About how much are those?

I keep a house key there, in case an electrical outage at home prevents me from opening my garage door.
      Driving a 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription

That's my phone holder.

It is actually named to be ‘Ash Tray’. Don’t use for coin storage. When I did so, one of penny went tin and got stuck on retractable door.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsen View Post
      That's my phone holder.
      I tried for my S10+, but a phablet sized phone has most of the phone body hanging outside of the compartment. If I drive over a larger bump or accelerate aggressively, throws the phone out of the compartment.

I am retired from the Navy, but I often go on base for gas and groceries. I use it to have my ID ready. I also have use it when using ferries to have my credit card handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystaxia View Post
      Certain things that I miss about living in Europe. This was one of them!
      You miss having to always remember to keep change on you in order to use a shopping cart (or trolley as the call them)?
      I bet you miss being fleeced and made to pay for shopping bags too if you didn't bring yours, although the store has already priced their cost into the merchandise irrespective of whether you used their bag or not.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

I stand my phone up on the right side of it. The left side is more shallow, so it sits empty!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      You miss having to always remember to keep change on you in order to use a shopping cart (or trolley as the call them)?
      I bet you miss being fleeced and made to pay for shopping bags too if you didn't bring yours, although the store has already priced their cost into the merchandise irrespective of whether you used their bag or not.
      Nope. I miss the fact that when I walked out to a parking lot, the carts were all in the cart returns; not sitting next to my car, like here in the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T8 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD | Grey | SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by flames9 View Post
      I usually sit my phone & wallet in there
      Same here. That's about all it's useful for IMO.
      2019 XC60 Fusion Red T6 R-Design | Advanced Package | Heated Steering Wheel Package | 15% Tint

I bought a really short cable, to hook up my phone for Apple CarPlay via USB, but I kept forgetting my phone (in the storage area where the USB ports are), when I left the car, so, I started using a longer cable, and interestingly enough, my phone with it's case, fits flat (horizontally) over that space, so I just keep my phone there when I'm driving.

There is the remote for my garage door opener.
      For QI Charging I'm using a 3rd party accessory that fits perfectly into the front cupholder with the 12V plug, and lets you even close the cover when not in use.

I keep my wife's car key as I always come back late at night and she leaves earlier in the morning I have to swap cars in our parking spot and having her second key with me saves me a trip to the house each time I have to do that.
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast