Trying to solve a transmission noise. Any guesses?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Trying to solve a transmission noise. Any guesses?

I'm going nutz trying to isolate a noise that has suddenly appeared on my wife's 2000 S80 T6. It sound like a knocking and/or rubbing noise, moderately loud. This noise follows engine rpm and is there in neutral or park and when driving, however when you shift into drive or reverse at idle the noise gets noticeably quieter almost non existent. Once you start moving and accelerate the noise again follows engine rpm, however if you take your foot off the gas completely and coast, the noise disappears totally. I have put a stethoscope on the car and have been unable to locate the source although it is on the drivers side and sounds like it's coming from the transmission. I have hooked the car up to VIDA and there are no DTC's. Eliminated turbos as source. The only things I can think of is the transmission oil pump but I've always heard that's more of a whine and I would expect drive ability issues.It has been driven about 2000kms now while making this noise and speeds up to 210km/h with no other symptoms.

any guesses? Video is in neutral idling, shifting into drive when noise disappears and then accelerating back in neutral.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Since you state that noise happens when the car is stopped, with transmission in neutral, that eliminates the driveshafts, left/right, as a possible source. The actual sound reminds me of noisy valves, possibly camshaft and/or lifter, but you state that the noise disappears when the engine is unloaded and the car is coasting to a stop. It does not sound like a bad bearing, it sounds like something is hammering on something else.

At idle RPM (650), the noise has a periodicity of about 10-12 beats per second, which is 600-720 per minute. This should point you in the direction of mechanical parts that are synchronized to the crankshaft cycle. Journals, valves, cam, flywheel...and no deeper into the tranny than the torque converter. Have you listened with the oil filler cap removed? That will tell you if it's coming from inside the crankcase...if in the tranny, it won't change sound when taking off the oil cap.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
      At idle RPM (650), the noise has a periodicity of about 10-12 beats per second, which is 600-720 per minute. This should point you in the direction of mechanical parts that are synchronized to the crankshaft cycle. Journals, valves, cam, flywheel...and no deeper into the tranny than the torque converter. Have you listened with the oil filler cap removed? That will tell you if it's coming from inside the crankcase...if in the tranny, it won't change sound when taking off the oil cap.
      Valvetrain runs at half the speed of crankshaft, so you can rule that out.

Sounds like one of the aux belt pulleys or tensioner from video. That or one of the two belts rubbing on something metallic.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by bigtimemcalpine View Post
      Sounds like one of the aux belt pulleys or tensioner from video. That or one of the two belts rubbing on something metallic.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
      The noise is on the drivers side no question. All the belts and belt driven items are on the passenger side. That video was taken with my phone in the drivers wheel well as it's where the noise resonates the loudest.

The biggest clue to the noise is that it disappears when shifting into drive or reverse. Belts don't stop spinning nor does the valve train. To me this points to a transmission issue but what since the noise comes back on acceleration.

I read a reply on a Honda forum where someone posted a transmission noise issue similar symptoms.

"To me it sounds like gears worn. When in neutral or park they will spin, in drive they stop until the car moves."

Does anyone have enough transmission knowledge to know if this is correct on these cars?

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonky View Post
      The noise is on the drivers side no question. All the belts and belt driven items are on the passenger side. That video was taken with my phone in the drivers wheel well as it's where the noise resonates the loudest.

The biggest clue to the noise is that it disappears when shifting into drive or reverse. Belts don't stop spinning nor does the valve train. To me this points to a transmission issue but what since the noise comes back on acceleration.

I read a reply on a Honda forum where someone posted a transmission noise issue similar symptoms.

"To me it sounds like gears worn. When in neutral or park they will spin, in drive they stop until the car moves."

Does anyone have enough transmission knowledge to know if this is correct on these cars?
      Damn. Well the fact that it does it when in park certainly eliminates a bunch of stuff. I'm out of ideas. I hope you get to the bottom of this cheaply!
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

I sent an email to David Norris from Triple Edge Performance who specializes in these transmissions and his guess based on all the details was the Drive Sprocket Bearing. So I assume there will be no drive ability issues until the bearing completely blows up. Looks like a removal and rebuild.Oh joy.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements