Oil pressure question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Oil pressure question

So taking the first long drive since becoming a owner, cruising 150 miles no problem, while driving on highway I stomp on it a few times to pass people, stayed under 80mph got a no oil pressure, stop engine warning.. pull over and check oil level, it was just at low, not empty, so I added a quart, brought back up, car was driving good, stomped again to pass and warning came back.. check oil level and it's full.. so I presuming the pressure sensor went bad, is there any way aside from vida to verify this? Any engine damage risk driving with this warning till I replace sensor? Not sure of how involved any potential limp mode might be,

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What model year are we talking about? Pressure sensor failure not very common on this engine, more likely you have sludge blocking the screen in the pickup tube.
      04 V70R Flash Green/Atacama6MT

06 xc70, would running seafoam and flushing the oil fix this?? There is also a tapping from the top side that increases in decibels that is happening now as well,

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Seafoam will not help, need to drop oil pan.

I have had a piece of paper towel clogging about half of the screen:

How invasive is the pan to pull? Just a dozen or so bolts and a gasket? I have the tools and ability, just haven't started to turn any wrenches on this yet, or even gotten a repair manual

I had this once on my 06 v70 2.5t, was hangry one day and decided to do a 0-100 pull... Car complained, I stopped and checked the oil, no problems, drove home slow and careful and the warning never came back. Brother has the car now and it's done probably 10 or 15k miles since then. *shrug*

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black
      Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

I second the oil pan removal for cleaning. You've got the late design pick up tube, so no need to replace that. This isn't the easiest oil pan in the world to get on and off correctly. Plenty of write ups floating around, you may want to do some searching first.
      04 V70R Flash Green/Atacama6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Turnpike7a View Post
      How invasive is the pan to pull? Just a dozen or so bolts and a gasket? I have the tools and ability, just haven't started to turn any wrenches on this yet, or even gotten a repair manual
      Not too bad. More like 20+ bolts. 3 or 4 bolts near right engine pad are a bit difficult, need to use tools and imagination. Proper pan cleaning takes lot more time.

Oil pump also has a plastic pressure relief valve that is not resistant to all chemicals people pour into engine to "clean" it. I know for sure dimethyl sulfoxyde dissolves it. You may need to to pull the oil pump and inspect/replace it.

Oh, one more thing: o-rings in pan can harden and crack, that causes oil pressure drop as well. All to all, drop the pan, clean, reinstall with new o-rings.

Well the car is back on the road, I caught a lucky break.. used some b12 and ran the engine at idle, and could immediately hear a difference and the low oil pressure warning went away, so it was definitely sludge, let it cool overnight, ran again to operating temp, let cool then pulled plug, then realized that none of my filter wrenchs would fit.. 2 day amazon the right size, pulled plug again, new crush washer, nee filter and running nice and smooth, no knock or loud tap like before. Had to get car back on road as backup vehicle, no daily driving yet, plan to replace pcv when I tear things apart for struts and control arms when things get warmer, maybe by then I can get it on a lift and save myself from rolling around in the dirt. Thanks for all the insight and feedback to my problem

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements