SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Wheels and Snows for 2019+ V60 R Frustrations

7K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  Kfunluc 
#1 ·
In anticipation of winter 2020-2021 here in New Hampshire I have been researching Volvo compatible wheels with snow tires. For whatever reasons Volvo engineering, and the relatively few Volvo's sold in the USA, results in spec's so unique to Volvo only vehicles that aftermarket wheel makers show no interest in competing with the OEM wheel market for Volvo cars. New (from Dealer) price for wheels only is about $2276K a set plus tires-about $1k for Bridgestone WS winter shoes. Volvo sells a package to the Canadian market (many places in Canada required winter tires) for about $2100 US. The difference between Volvo cars in the line in the 18" wheel size appears to be Offset. A V60 CC has a 50.5 offset vs a V60 which is 42. To give you an idea how specific Volvo engineering is about the offset. They use a difference part number for the wheels package on LH drive V60 than the RH drive V60. What would make these two configurations a different spec? Got me. Wheel alignment for sharp turns of the steering wheel?
So I have narrowed it down to four choices. What do you think?
1. Spend $200 a year to do a change over summer/winter.
2. Buy Volvo wheels and tires as a package. Are these even available in the USA? Can I use the discount coupon everyone mentions they get when their car is new. Canada MSRP $2800 ($2100 US exchange).
3. Watch Ebay for take off wheels with factory all season tires that have been swapped out at the dealership or port for 19" tire and wheels. Cost about $1400 plus purchase snows for $1K. Use the ASR 3 years down the road.
4. But a set of refurb v60 wheels for about $1K and buy $1K snows. Total cost $2K.
Choices all point to 10 years of seasonal change overs. What would you do and why?

To give you an idea how specific Volvo engineering is about the offset. They use a difference part number for the wheels package on LH drive V60 than the RH drive V60. What would make these two configurations a different spec? Got me.

Geeze...I hate being a Volvo buyer on a Hyundai pocket book! It is taking some getting used to. Having money makes decisions so much easier.

Glad to have any points of view on the subject.
Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
If you buy from a Canadian dealer (if the winter tire package isn't available in the USA) the coupon isn't applicable. The coupon only works in the USA. Volvo Canada does not have this program.

I (being from Canada) just purchased the OEM Volvo package. I am happy with the rims (pre-selected for the V60 so I couldn't pick and choose a rim of my choice) and the Michelin X-Ice tires.

#3 ·
Not sure if dealers do it in the USA but here in the UK I managed to get a second hand set of alloys for my BMW with winter tyres already on for about £1000 which when 1 rear tyre on the supplied wheels was £700 was a steal. Might be worth asking your dealer or looking on ebay etc.

I was quoted about £4500 for a 2nd set of wheels for the V60 PE I’ve got on order and there seems to be almost no suitable alternative either. I’m just going to take the hassle of changing over the tyres every year about I doubt it’s great for the beads on the tyres.

Not sure if it’s the same on your car but the most annoying thing with the PE is the tyre size seems to be a bit odd at 235/40r19 so there’s not that many winter / all season options (considering swapping to AS tyres rather than winters for the winter months as we don’t get much snow here - just cold and wet).

#4 ·
In anticipation of winter 2020-2021 here in New Hampshire I have been researching Volvo compatible wheels with snow tires. For whatever reasons Volvo engineering, and the relatively few Volvo's sold in the USA, results in spec's so unique to Volvo only vehicles that aftermarket wheel makers show no interest in competing with the OEM wheel market for Volvo cars. New (from Dealer) price for wheels only is about $2276K a set plus tires-about $1k for Bridgestone WS winter shoes. Volvo sells a package to the Canadian market (many places in Canada required winter tires) for about $2100 US. The difference between Volvo cars in the line in the 18" wheel size appears to be Offset. A V60 CC has a 50.5 offset vs a V60 which is 42. To give you an idea how specific Volvo engineering is about the offset. They use a difference part number for the wheels package on LH drive V60 than the RH drive V60. What would make these two configurations a different spec? Got me. Wheel alignment for sharp turns of the steering wheel?
So I have narrowed it down to four choices. What do you think?
1. Spend $200 a year to do a change over summer/winter.
2. Buy Volvo wheels and tires as a package. Are these even available in the USA? Can I use the discount coupon everyone mentions they get when their car is new. Canada MSRP $2800 ($2100 US exchange).
3. Watch Ebay for take off wheels with factory all season tires that have been swapped out at the dealership or port for 19" tire and wheels. Cost about $1400 plus purchase snows for $1K. Use the ASR 3 years down the road.
4. But a set of refurb v60 wheels for about $1K and buy $1K snows. Total cost $2K.
Choices all point to 10 years of seasonal change overs. What would you do and why?

To give you an idea how specific Volvo engineering is about the offset. They use a difference part number for the wheels package on LH drive V60 than the RH drive V60. What would make these two configurations a different spec? Got me.

Geeze...I hate being a Volvo buyer on a Hyundai pocket book! It is taking some getting used to. Having money makes decisions so much easier.

Glad to have any points of view on the subject.
Mike
I hear you. Try the V60 P*. Volvo corporate couldn't even give me a winter tire package because it doesn't exist. The car doesn't even show up on the Volvo Canada website. I was lucky enough that the dealership I dealt with sold one XC60 P* a few months ago and told me which wheel/tire shop that customer went to. After going through 6 different wheels, finally found one that fit his. So the shop knew which ones would fit mine.

I can give you wheel model and specs if you want of the wheels I went with, then you can pick out whatever tires you want. I think my wheels were $250 CAD each. I wouldn't spend $2300 on wheels alone... IMG - https://ibb.co/9yp4btM

#5 ·
I'd probably first try to find a set of new car take-offs or maybe something from an earlier gen car that looks decent to you. If you're looking for 42mm offset you're in luck because they're easier to find than 50mm or higher offset wheels. Other option is Tirerack - that would be the cheapest solution if you can find a set that you don't mind too much. I would definitely avoid mounting and dismounting winter tires on your only set of wheels - the wheels and tires will get chewed up from all that mounting and dismounting.

#7 ·
#10 ·
#12 ·
I was really happy with the new take-off's I bought off eBay from perfectwheel. They were only $150 per rim and were in brand new condition. They might be able to find what you're looking for if they don't have it.

These are 18's from an S60 momentum, so 1" smaller than my summers. I got the Michelin X-ices x3 winter tires at Costco for ~$800, so all in I paid about $1,500 for a brand new OEM setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
I have a 2015.5 XC70 Platinum P* in Maine for which I purchased a separate set of tires and wheels this winter. I went with a set of Ultra Winter Slalom 403s wheels with Blizzak snows. I've been very pleased with the results but did have to get hubcentric rings to make these wheels fit just right. Not a big deal at all and car gobbles up ice and snow like a monster.

#28 ·
Call Nick at Re-Volv in Oxford, MA. I picked up a set of V90 port take off wheels for the price of one wheel from the dealer. Not sure if he’ll have any V60 wheels, but worth the phone call. I know he just got a bunch of wheels in.

#33 ·
That's a deal! He's willing to separate for $400 for just the wheels. There is nothing below $700 for just the wheels on EBay! I was casually looking for a spare set of wheels, just not ready to buy yet otherwise I would be heading over to snag them.

#38 ·
If you read this thread they ARE $700 and there is a waiting list of people to buy them so get in line! $2800 would be outta this world price I didn't read the ad that way at all, it was $700 for the "pair" as he was willing to separate the wheels and tires for $400 ea set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.