Map and NAV Questions
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Map and NAV Questions

I am a recent new owner. I have the 2020 Inscription. I have a map question and a NAV question:

Map: If I open the map view on the center screen I get the default resolution. Most of the street names donít show up. If I zoom they start to show up. But, zooming from the default resolution freezes the location of the map and, since vehicle is moving, pretty soon the little triangle disappears and I have to return to the default view to get to my current location or manually scroll the screen. I have had numerous NAV systems, but never one that lost the car when zooming. Am I missing out on a control that will allow me to zoom and not lose the car? If not, then what is Volvo thinking about how the map is to be used?

NAV: While we havenít used the NAV system much, it seems as though the voice doesnít normally announce the street names that we should be turning on. This is really annoying to my navigator (wife). Am I missing out on a control that will cause the voice to announce street names, and not just turn instructions?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No street name, only some big road name is read out.

I usually change to full screen map view, and much easier to move the map there. There is also a target icon to press to move the car icon back to center. In normal view, seems multi-finger touch-and-drag can move the map.

Yeh, the nav software is lacking in some ways.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 02-25-2020 at 09:55 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Billk9989 View Post
      Map: If I open the map view on the center screen I get the default resolution. Most of the street names donít show up. If I zoom they start to show up. But, zooming from the default resolution freezes the location of the map and, since vehicle is moving, pretty soon the little triangle disappears and I have to return to the default view to get to my current location or manually scroll the screen. I have had numerous NAV systems, but never one that lost the car when zooming. Am I missing out on a control that will allow me to zoom and not lose the car? If not, then what is Volvo thinking about how the map is to be used?
      ?
      Click on the re-center icon on the right side in the middle - https://az685612.vo.msecnd.net/pdfs/...GB_TP31734.pdf , page 5

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Awaiting Approval
      Navigation is very poor, I mean software

Quote Originally Posted by dpassent View Post
      Click on the re-center icon on the right side in the middle - https://az685612.vo.msecnd.net/pdfs/...GB_TP31734.pdf , page 5
      Yes, I understand this. My question is, do I really have to use this icon to get the map system to follow the car? If this is the case, it is hard to understand why Volvo would do a map system that doesnít follow the car when I re-size the screen. I think that if this is the way it is it is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by HansW View Post
      Navigation is very poor, I mean software
      I donít have any major problems with the system, so far. Just relatively minor things that seem sort of dumb, if true. Actually, I find the Volvo NAV system to be pretty decent in comparison with some that I have owned in recent years.

I donít have any major problems with the system, so far. Just relatively minor things that seem sort of dumb, if true. Actually, I find the Volvo NAV system to be pretty decent in comparison with some that I have owned in recent years.
      I agree with you. I recently rented a F-Pace with a ďvintageĒ Nav system that reminded me of the good decision that I made when I bought the XC90.

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk

Also nice that you get free map updates monthly for free (this far)...

Yes, I understand this. My question is, do I really have to use this icon to get the map system to follow the car? If this is the case, it is hard to understand why Volvo would do a map system that doesnít follow the car when I re-size the screen. I think that if this is the way it is it is dumb.
      Actually problem lies in a fact that system sometimes recognises "resize" with multi-touch as "map move". When you try to resize slowly and move fingers evenly diagonal - map will stay focused on a car position. Anyway, after 2 years it's automatic for me to tap that icon to recenter, not a big issue for me. And believe me - this system is HEAVEN compared to all other built-in systems I had previously (Jap cars). As all systems you need to get used to it and it's good to read manual to unleash its full power.

I am a recent new owner. I have the 2020 Inscription. I have a map question and a NAV question:

NAV: While we havenít used the NAV system much, it seems as though the voice doesnít normally announce the street names that we should be turning on. This is really annoying to my navigator (wife). Am I missing out on a control that will cause the voice to announce street names, and not just turn instructions?
      Zoom to the level you want, recenter map, and it'll keep that zooming for good.

That's how I use mine and my Sensus map is set at 2D so I can see more and further.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Dpassent and Seti, nope and nope, unfortunately.

I tried re-sizing the map without a NAV destination programmed. The map loses the arrow. Then I tried re-sizing the map with a NAV destination programmed. The map loses the arrow. I guess that the 2020 must work a bit different from yours...?

I tried re-sizing the map without a NAV destination programmed. The map loses the arrow. Then I tried re-sizing the map with a NAV destination programmed. The map loses the arrow.
      Attach a picture and let me see

------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      Attach a picture and let me see

What sort of picture? All there is, is a map with a green triangle, with icons along the sides. An extra icon appears on the right, when I zoom. It goes away when I press it and unzoom back to the default appearance. What is it that you want me to take a picture of?

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements