SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Saved from rotting in yards and garages!!!

8K views 160 replies 9 participants last post by  Tonyfr 
#1 ·
Picked up a couple 850 R’s yesterday that we’re wasting away

#33 ·
Cool. I’ll look into those. My plans are after it ran to do an oil change and a coolant change fill it with some 93 do the pcv completely box and all and do a timing belt water pump and fix the odometer so I know how many miles I’m putting on it till it needs change again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#34 ·
I like Castrol 0w40 and genuine Volvo coolant.

5w30 doesn't stand up to the heat from the turbo. Ask my rod bearings how they know......

#36 ·
Lost the tranny driving around the property. Sprung a huge leak but no metal noises. Just think a line broke and drained the fluid so it won’t drive forward now. Smh. At least it was at a low speed and probably saved the gears. Lines looked a little leaky. On the driver side of the radiator, is that a trans cooler that has the hard lines going into it?

#37 ·
Leaky trans fixed, oil changed, exhaust mount replaced. Running good again. Wanting to buy a timing belt kit but keep seeing references that the kits are based on serial number on taming cover but mine doesn’t have one anymore. How do I find out the serial number?

#38 ·
The engine # is on a boss in front of the exhaust manifold, right behind the water pipe that comes out of the engine.

#40 ·
Update on the water coming in the interior, I pulled the headliner board and pulled the drain tubes and they don’t look that bad but I put the nozzle of my power washer up to them and sprayed the hell out of each one till water was pouring out the exits. Also pulled the dash, I highly recommend reading up first cause I had a bad dash, now I have a destroyed dash. Haha. Oh well the black car has a decent one and now I know how to actually remove everything. So brittle man, it’s ridiculous. Gonna have to fix the alcantara door pieces the board is pretty broken on one of them. Any suggestions on where to get something to fix it diy?

#41 ·
Also I ordered a pcv replacement kit, full timing kit including water pump and can seals and all. Got a drop in filter and reinstalled the original air box from parts found in both cars. Ready to get it all in and on cause it’ll be road ready finally. Working on the dash while waiting for the parts to come in.

#42 ·
Dash out in pieces from the red one and figured out how to remove the entire dash in one piece from the black. Gonna do the transfer in the next couple days and fire the car back up and make sure all the buttons work. Hopefully when I pull the black dash all the way out tomorrow the firewall tabs are in good shape. Dash pad is slightly coming off but the entire piece as a whole is better than my red one was. Gotta transfer the vin too. Can’t wait cause my timing kit came in today and my pcv will be in Wednesday. Excitement is building here. By Friday she’s all buttoned up and road ready.

#44 ·
^ you want to fiberglass them. It will just break again if you try to screw it back together or anything.

VIN tag is held on with pop rivets. Of course I would never do that but......it's just pop rivets. Lol.

#47 ·
Let me clarify here. Haha. I’d be taking the new dash and replacing the vin out of the old one so the vin is the right one for the car it’s going on. Need to fix the odometer too so I know how many miles I’m putting on the timing belt change.

#48 · (Edited)
Let me clarify here. Haha. I'd be taking the new dash and replacing the vin out of the old one so the vin is the right one for the car it's going on. Need to fix the odometer too so I know how many miles I'm putting on the timing belt change.
Yup. Kind of what you have to do. Done it a few times when swapping dashes.

If you're not aware, the trick is to push the center pin down, through, and out of the rivet. Then the rivet comes out easily. Save the pin for when you reinstall the VIN plate in the new dash.

#51 ·
All that foam around the wiring is awful too but since I'm pulling the donor dash as a full piece with the harness I won't feel as bad about needing to tidy that up cause I can't see it. Haha.

When I swapped dashes in my T5, I had to swap out the harness (the dash was from a '95). I re-wrapped my old harness in the fabric tape (that sticks to itself). That foam covering was gross.

LINK

#54 ·
I don’t but I can take some today when I get home. My red one looks pretty rough cause it’s all in pieces. One seat missing (in the shed) no headliner, carpet pulled on the front pass side, no dash currently, most the trim pieces off and in the back seat, screws everywhere on the seat and floor. But I’ll take pictures later on to show y’all everything that’s going on with em currently.

#57 ·
So great news, I think I found the water into interior leak! Pulled the wiper cowl off today to take the broken tabs off the red cars dash. Realized there is no cabin filter or tray and the drain directly below that for the cowl was so clogged you could barely put about a ounce of water before it filled so I’m thinking it filled and spilled over into the filter hole. Had a bolt stuck in it along with a ton of dirt and debris. Going to start repairing the tabs and dash cracks tonight to hopefully put the dash in so I can start worrying about doing my timing belt kit and pcv so I can get this car on the road. Btw I will put some pictures of my car I’m replacing with this 850 then post the interior pictures you guys asked for. It’s not a pretty sight. :-/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.