SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Advanced Package Worth It?

14K views 52 replies 25 participants last post by  GordonCs 
#1 ·
Looking at either leasing new or purchasing CPO Volvo S60. Two questions. First, is the advanced package really worth the additional money? I currently have an Acura TLX A-Spec and do enjoy the adaptive cruise control (don't use it always though). Second, without the advanced package, is there much difference between Inscription/R-Design and Momentum with Nav package?

Any advice appreciated.

#2 ·
For me, the only marginally useful feature in Advance pack is 360 degree camera. With heavy SoCal traffic, adaptive cruise control is useful 1% of the time. I hate seeing anything in front of my face other than the road, so HUD is not something I would voluntarily pay for. Active bending lights are somewhat useful in rural areas, I guess.

Momentum is fine if you can live with base seats in synthetic leather. Other features are not as critical, IMHO. If massage function important to you - Inscription is the only choice. The only way to get Nappa contour seats is with RD, which takes both Momentum and Inscription out of the equation for me personally.

#3 ·
For me it is...

As for the heavy traffic and adaptive cruise control comment. I’m not sure if mine is updated as it’s a 2020 however pilot assist almost works 100% hands-free and keeps you exactly in the path it’s awesome and heavy traffic as you’re almost never have to steer or keep your feet on the petals as you can also accelerate with pressing the steering wheel after you come to a complete stop. I drove a lot of teslas and in my opinion it work just as well. So give it a try in heavy traffic and see if you had the same results. I’m not sure if mine is updated as it’s a 2020 however pilot assist almost works 100% hands-free and keeps you exactly in the path it’s awesome and heavy traffic as you’re almost never have to steer or keep your feet on the petals as you can also accelerate with pressing the steering wheel after you come to a complete stop. I drove a lot of teslas and in my opinion it worked just as well. So give it a try in heavy traffic and see if you have the same results

#4 ·
As for the heavy traffic and adaptive cruise control comment. I'm not sure if mine is updated as it's a 2020 however pilot assist almost works 100% hands-free and keeps you exactly in the path it's awesome and heavy traffic as you're almost never have to steer or keep your feet on the petals as you can also accelerate with pressing the steering wheel after you come to a complete stop. I drove a lot of teslas and in my opinion it work just as well. So give it a try in heavy traffic and see if you had the same results. ..
I guess I just don't have the guts to trust the car to drive itself - hands-free and with no feet on pedals. More power to you :)

#12 ·
The main use of it is highway driving, not necessarily heavy traffic. *fantastic* on the highways

also you can hit the gas to accelerate and it won't disable it, it lets you speed up faster than it does if you want to.

#19 ·
Guys guys, let's all take a deep breath. The reason we are all here is because we are enthusiastic about our rides, and very interested in learning the most about them so we can get the most enjoyment out of them. I for one, have learned a lot about my ride just being here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the rest of us should take that opinion for what it actually is - just an individual opinion. There is no need to need to deride, insult, or bash someone else for anything they say. If we don't agree, let's say we don't agree and move on or just keep quiet about it. As @rumyn implied, this place will not be fun or encourage anyone to share anything if we are afraid of saying something wrong and being bashed up.

If you are a golfer, are you the type that cusses and swears at every bad shot, or every time someone takes a little longer to line up their put, or are you the type who is out to enjoy the company of others with similar interests and down a few beers while you are at it too :) ??

#37 ·
Guys guys, let's all take a deep breath. The reason we are all here is because we are enthusiastic about our rides, and very interested in learning the most about them so we can get the most enjoyment out of them. I for one, have learned a lot about my ride just being here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the rest of us should take that opinion for what it actually is - just an individual opinion. There is no need to need to deride, insult, or bash someone else for anything they say. If we don't agree, let's say we don't agree and move on or just keep quiet about it. As @rumyn implied, this place will not be fun or encourage anyone to share anything if we are afraid of saying something wrong and being bashed up.

If you are a golfer, are you the type that cusses and swears at every bad shot, or every time someone takes a little longer to line up their put, or are you the type who is out to enjoy the company of others with similar interests and down a few beers while you are at it too :) ??
+1

#20 ·
I love the features in the advanced package. HUD with turn info, 360° camera for backing into the garage. Pilot Assist makes highway driving (with or without traffic) a breeze.

#21 ·
I’m completely sold on the HUD. Not sure at this point if I could go back to not having it! Also really like the 360 degree camera. Great in tight spots.

Too me a while to get used to PA. It’s not the kind of thing you want to “try out” on n traffic if you’ve never experienced it before.

I have slowly adapted to it and now use it confidently and often. Works very well in situations I have used it in. Just take a bit of time to learn and understand the system limitations.

Bottom line... to me, it’s well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
As stated above, it's all a matter of personal opinion based on how you use your car, what's important to you, and budgetary considerations.

IMO, the Advanced Package is worth it and was one of my requirements in a car, specifically for Adaptie Headlights. I also really like the Heads Up Display. Regarding Incription/R-Design, I wanted R-Design because I prefer a firmer ride and the Sport Chassis is only available on the R-Design.

#23 · (Edited)
I agree with the choice of the R-Design over the Inscription. The seats hug you better if you have an athletic build better on the R-Design. The thigh extensions support and hold my legs in a better position than the Inscription extensions. My wife and I both prefer the firmer less floaty suspension of the R-Design too. I think large people hate seats with high bolsters and that is why it isn't a very popular trim for most people here in the USA. In fact, the R-Design is the most popular trim level in the UK (according to a Youtube I watched on a review of the 2019's).
And here we are..Back to personal choice.
Save Money on Insurance...Buy a Volvo?
Get this....Where I live in NH the insurance on my new 2020 R-Design will be $345 Less than the insurance on my 2014 Elantra Coupe. List on the 2014 was $25K. List on the Volvo is $51. Volvo drivers here get a break on the insurance. Not sure it it works that way everywhere.

#24 ·
It's a highly personal decision, as evidenced by the arguments here either way! Personally I don't miss it, but availability of sport chassis option and budgetary constraints made the choice for me rather than considering it in a vacuum. But I come from older/cheaper cars so I already made a big jump in cool stuff!

To add something useful to the discussion, if there are 1 or 2 things you want in the package, and you have the budget, just get it, because you pretty much can't add it later. The marketing people know what they are doing, get just a couple must-haves in a package, and you'll have to step up! It's not just about the value of the purchase price for what you get, if you can add it and you know you will regret not getting it later...

Given a free-er choice, I would have it, my wife's $30k Mazda has bendy headlights, damn it a $50k car should have them too lol.

#26 ·
I see you're going for it, so this is just confirmation bias for ya. I vote yes. Adaptive cruise control and pilot assist are awesome. I also think they're even better in heavy traffic than light. I don't live in Atlanta anymore, but I have, and I know what traffic is. With the Volvo system you can accelerate with the pedal and then release.. so letting folks sneak in front of you doesn't have to be an issue. I also use it for merging onto highways. I let it be the eyes in front of me while I'm looking over my shoulder to merge, some angles don't allow for the mirrors to be enough for this. I use it to follow the school buses in the morning too. I simply love it. 360 camera is okay in some places, but most of the time it's just another view. I like the front camera for pulling out of an alley where I can't see around the corners. HUD, meh for me, some folks love it. You can turn it off. It doesn't bother me at all, it just doesn't do anything for me either.

#27 ·
It was a requirement for me to have the Advanced Package. I use everything included in it almost daily. I have had HUD in a previous car and one of the best features is the upcoming NAV turns in the HUD. PA takes some time trusting but after a few months I’m becoming a fan in certain situations. All in all this 2020 V60 CC is a quantum leap from my 2017 V 60 CC, which I enjoyed as well.
YMMV
JTMav

#28 ·
Its been worth it for me. ACC works very well, and PA - while not perfect - is quite good at reducing driver workload on long trips. The LED headlights are excellent. The HUD is a nice to have, mostly on long trips. I use the 360 camera frequently when backing into a tight spot or parallel parking, and its especially handy peeking over hill crests when off-road. The cornering lights aren't a big deal ... I suppose they are practical, but I've not found them to be particularly useful.

#29 ·
What’s also great about the ACC is that it will accelerate when you overtake a car on left (fast / passing lane). To help you with that and that it keeps you in the middle of the lane.

After driving all current premium cars including Tesla’s I’m truly surprise how great it works.

#30 · (Edited)
When I test drove a 2019:V90 before I purchased my 2018, it had the Advanced package with the HUD. For me, the HUD is irritating and I would turn it off if I could. My car has the Convenience Package which I believe gives it everything else that is in the Advanced Package (withyhe exception of the HUD). There are features that I use and those that I don’t and would otherwise be happy if they were not on the car — such as Park Pilot Assist and Pilot Assist since I don’t use either. For that matter, we could get rid of the sunroof as well.

But all that said, since it’s on the car, there is nothing that says I have to use the feature, and besides, it might help on resale down the road or in Insurance valuation if the car is ever totaled.

#41 ·
Love the color of this discussion, we're all so different. I haven't used cruise control in 20 years. You'd have to pry the sport chassis option from my cold dead hands though! I thrive on the required attention of driving. When the car can drive for me while I take a nap in the back seat I would think about it. While my feets and hands still work I like to drive. I don't often drive in traffic though, and if I do happen upon it, I take the next exit to the back roads...

#42 ·
Love the color of this discussion, we're all so different. I haven't used cruise control in 20 years. You'd have to pry the sport chassis option from my cold dead hands though! I thrive on the required attention of driving. When the car can drive for me while I take a nap in the back seat I would think about it. While my feet and hands still work I like to drive. I don't often drive in traffic though, and if I do happen upon it, I take the next exit to the back roads...
Now that's my definition of enthusiast :D :thumbup:

#43 ·
IMHO, the HUD is not at all useful. During the day, if you use polarized sunglasses, you can't see it. At night, it can be a little distracting. The NAV symbols are good to see in the HUD, but I rely on AppleCar Play for all navigation. Much better than the Volvo NAV. Unfortunately, the Apple Maps do not work with HUD or with the driver screen. Perhaps a future feature from Volvo.

But the ACC rocks, when you use it on the expressway. It literally slows the car down to a stop if track stops moving. No need to adjust the speed if a car moves in front of you, the ACC slows the car down to the specified distance that you set. Also like the 360.

#47 · (Edited)
IMHO, the HUD is not at all useful. During the day, if you use polarized sunglasses, you can't see it.
Interesting. I have no problem at all with sunglasses and my HUD, unlike my wife's BMW HUD where it virtually disappears when I wear sunglasses. It was one of the first things I noticed on my test drive. I wear Smith polarized "guide" model sunglasses that I use for fishing; maybe it's due to the specific polarization technology used in the sunglasses themselves, but no problems whatsoever with my HUD and sunglasses.

#48 ·
Love the HUD, too.

I did end up buying a pair of non-polarized sunglasses for my XC60. Works great and I find the HUD very helpful.

Sounds like there are polarized options out there, too. May have to check that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#49 ·
Different polarized sunglasses will impact the HUD's visibility differently depending on the glasses's polarizing alignment. You can see this by holding the glasses in front of you without wearing them and then looking through them at the HUD while rotating the glasses - the HUD display intensity will vary as the glasses are rotated. If you wear the glasses and look through them at the HUD, the HUD will vary if you tilt your head from one shoulder to the other. If you're luck, the HUD display will be good when you're head is straight up - if not you may have to tilt your head to one shoulder or hte other to make the HUD brighter.

#50 ·
Usually to filter out the reflection from road surface, the polarized glasses choose to block the horizontal polarized lights. HUD probably is using the horizontal polarized reflection by the invisible film on windshield. So it is blocked by polarized glasses.

If a sunglasses allow the horizontal polarized light to pass and block the vertical one, it will allow you to see HUD but may not be very effective to reduce glare from road surface reflection.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.