Wife scratched her XC90 quite badly - how to fix?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 34 of 34
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      774

      Wife scratched her XC90 quite badly - how to fix?

      My wife rubbed shoulders with a concrete pylon, the kind you'll find near gas pumps. (This vehicle always has half a dozen alarms buzzing, I imagine it's easy to become acclimated to them.)

      Anyway, it's at the bottom corner of the passenger side back door. The two adjacent plastic panels are scuffed, no big deal. But the metal is also scratched all the way down to metal. No rust yet although it's been about a month.

      Leave it alone or take it to a body shop? I'm sure they'd want to repaint the whole door. Will it match the rest of the car? Ugh



      Full size:
      https://i.imgur.com/bx8tx6p.jpg
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

      DIY Oil Change:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ange-with-pics

      DIY Brake Pads:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ment-with-pics

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      759
      Sorry to hear. I'd say fix it before rust comes in which means more labor cost and metal to remove. Though it's surprising no rust has appeared yet - I see you're in TX, no wonder! - did Volvo properly design some sacrificial metal? Good luck!
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      ďScientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.Ē - Theodore von Karman

    4. #3
      Junior Member beers's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Location
      SF Bay Area, U.S.
      Posts
      225
      That stinks. Iíd bite the bullet and get it fixed. Any decent body shop should be able to match the black paint, the car is fairly new and OEM color.
      2020 S60 PE, Matte Grey
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Blonde
      former: 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Crystal White/Charcoal
      former: 2006 XC90 V8 Titanium Gray/Graphite

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

    6. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      D.C. Metro Region
      Posts
      1,143
      The body panels are electrogalvanized and coat so I wouldn't worry about rust developing just yet. The whole body as a matter of fact is dipped, so it'll resist rust for a bit. Note: I did not say rust proof.

      There's only one way to fix this - take it to a body shop. They won't have to spray the whole door panel, but they will have to probably sand and spray a 1/4 of the lower panel both up and to the right in order to create a seamless blend line between new paint / old paint and the build coats before clear coat.

      The plastic fender trim can be saved. All that needs is plasticized bonder, sand, prime and paint. If the labor of this exceeds a new part, then of course, just get the new part.

      All in all, I estimate the damage here to be about a $1,100-$1,300 repair, labor and high quality materials. 6-8 hours of real-time labor at most.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      206
      If I were you, I will try wet sanding and touch up paint from Volvo. That will hide the scratches. If that didn't work, I will proceed with sectional paint (smart repair).

      Watch the below Video or type wet sanding on YouTube and you will find plenty:

      https://youtu.be/zn78q21D-gs


      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

    8. #6
      Junior Member chmax's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Posts
      385
      The only time I've tried to fix a relatively small scratch with the Volvo touch up color it was not exactly a success. Unless you are really good at (like Nerd23 above probably is) it I'd say body shop...
      current Dec 2019/MY20 XC90 T6 Inscription black with p*
      Past
      - July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with p*
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Posts
      261
      Body shop time. That's not a touch up paint type of situation.
      '18 XC90 Inscription
      Crystal White, Maroon Brown, 4C, B&W, Convenience, 21" 8 Spoke Wheels, P*

    10. #8
      Agree with others. Take it to a body shop. My wife backed into my son's car that was parked in the driveway a couple of years ago. Primarily cosmetic damage on the bumper but they fixed it up and repainted. There is no difference with the color of the rest of the vehicle and we have the Bursting Blue. Find one you trust and they should be able to handle it, no problem.
      2018 XC90 T6 R-Design| Bursting Blue | Convenience, HUD, Bowers & Wilkins, 4C Air, 22" 6-spoke wheels, Polestar

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      206
      Quote Originally Posted by chmax View Post
      The only time I've tried to fix a relatively small scratch with the Volvo touch up color it was not exactly a success. Unless you are really good at (like Nerd23 above probably is) it I'd say body shop...
      It's not a touch up paint only. It's a wet sanding + touch up paint + polishing and waxing. All of these work together to hide the scratches. Youtube videos explain it very well.

      He will lose nothing if that didn't work, he will just fail to save himself the "repainting".

      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Nerd23; 03-03-2020 at 12:47 AM.

    12. #10
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      D.C. Metro Region
      Posts
      1,143
      Quote Originally Posted by Nerd23 View Post
      If I were you, I will try wet sanding and touch up paint from Volvo. That will hide the scratches. If that didn't work, I will proceed with sectional paint (smart repair).

      Watch the below Video or type wet sanding on YouTube and you will find plenty:

      https://youtu.be/zn78q21D-gs


      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
      Wet sanding and touch up is good for light scratches that maybe cut through the clear coat and a layer of paint.
      The scratches here appear to have cut through down to the primer coat. That is going to need to be addressed because the primer may be compromised.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      206
      Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      Wet sanding and touch up is good for light scratches that maybe cut through the clear coat and a layer of paint.
      The scratches here appear to have cut through down to the primer coat. That is going to need to be addressed because the primer may be compromised.
      Hard to evaluate from the pictures. I agree with you.

      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      No. VA
      Posts
      284
      Scratched to bare metal . . . Body shop. My two kids have had their cars in body shops recently and both cars turned out well. My Suburbanís bumper cover got dinged up when in for service and the repair was likewise good. Canít tell. Important thing is to find a quality body shop. You might want to look at Yelp or Angies List for references. In the Washington, DC area we have a consumers check boo magazine that rates area businesses for value and quality. Your city may have something similar as well.

      Good luck!
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18Ē R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

      His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats


      Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

    15. #13
      Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      My wife rubbed shoulders with a concrete pylon, the kind you'll find near gas pumps. (This vehicle always has half a dozen alarms buzzing, I imagine it's easy to become acclimated to them.)

      Anyway, it's at the bottom corner of the passenger side back door. The two adjacent plastic panels are scuffed, no big deal. But the metal is also scratched all the way down to metal. No rust yet although it's been about a month.
      Mean the DIY is to wet sand and apply paint / clear coat...But that won't be a perfect match.... Dealer will 100% have to repaint the area. I have a deep clear coat scratch that drives me nuts going down the rear passenger door.. And I was told it'd easily run $1000. So I'd be guessing you've got a few thousand in repainting going on....

      Might be worth an insurance claim.

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      147
      where is it down to metal? the worst spots to me look like the door lower trim piece and the fender extension. both are plastic, the flare i know comes pre painted. not sure on the lower door trim. quick buff will take the white paint off the xc90 and show how bad it is. frankly i use lacquer thinner or rain-x but i wouldnt recommend these on paint unless you know what you are doing. but step 1 is assess damage under the paint transfer

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Southern California, USA
      Posts
      313
      I think a mobile fix and paint shop can fix that at your home or office. I used this company twice on very small scratches, one needed a blend, and they had all the equipment in the mobile and everything came out perfect.

      So look for one of these in your area

      https://www.fyxme.com/

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      774
      Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      where is it down to metal? the worst spots to me look like the door lower trim piece and the fender extension. both are plastic, the flare i know comes pre painted. not sure on the lower door trim. quick buff will take the white paint off the xc90 and show how bad it is. frankly i use lacquer thinner or rain-x but i wouldnt recommend these on paint unless you know what you are doing. but step 1 is assess damage under the paint transfer
      If I shine a flashlight at the part nearest to the back edge of the door I can see a metallic reflection along a vertical line. The concrete post likely pushed the door in and then bit off a chunk of paint when it encountered the ridge in the door.
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

      DIY Oil Change:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ange-with-pics

      DIY Brake Pads:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ment-with-pics

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Posts
      232
      Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      My wife rubbed shoulders with a concrete pylon, the kind you'll find near gas pumps. (This vehicle always has half a dozen alarms buzzing, I imagine it's easy to become acclimated to them.)

      Anyway, it's at the bottom corner of the passenger side back door. The two adjacent plastic panels are scuffed, no big deal. But the metal is also scratched all the way down to metal. No rust yet although it's been about a month.

      Leave it alone or take it to a body shop? I'm sure they'd want to repaint the whole door. Will it match the rest of the car? Ugh



      Full size:
      https://i.imgur.com/bx8tx6p.jpg
      Get a DIY spray kit and follow instructions carefully. Take your time. It may have a good result. The process takes long but it's not hard. I did fix a scratch myself in a rush, and it turned out pretty good.

      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...05#post7498805

    20. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      774
      Quote Originally Posted by tanXC90 View Post
      Get a DIY spray kit and follow instructions carefully. Take your time. It may have a good result. The process takes long but it's not hard. I did fix a scratch myself in a rush, and it turned out pretty good.

      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...05#post7498805
      Maybe I will. As others have pointed out - not much to lose!
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

      DIY Oil Change:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ange-with-pics

      DIY Brake Pads:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ment-with-pics

    21. #19
      Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      Maybe I will. As others have pointed out - not much to lose!
      .....Can't hurt to try a DIY and try to blend... But if it bugs you enough could always file an insurance claim and get factory repaired properly. I think a lot of these DIY kits are a 5 foot rule? Correct me if I'm wrong.

    22. #20
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      No. VA
      Posts
      284
      If it s a leased car, you may have extra damage costs when you turn it in if it is not fixed properly.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18Ē R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

      His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats


      Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      206
      Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      Maybe I will. As others have pointed out - not much to lose!
      You can buy OEM touch paint from Amazon. It has a Volvo logo on thr box. Color code is 717 for onyx black. Verify the code...

      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Posts
      317
      Black is stupid easy to match. That low you probably don’t have to blend the door. You can see if you can buy the bumper piece prepainted. First thing u need to do is hit it with compound to see how much damage is there. The compound will make it les white.
      Sid
      2019 Volvo XC90 T6 OSD
      2007 Porsche 911 Turbo
      2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10
      2012 Ducati Diavel

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      54
      I have done auto paint work in the past. This is no insignificant blemish, it is a fairly large area. I would not do this myself if I wanted the car to look good afterwards, and it doesnít matter that the car is black - there is a lot more to making your car look good than just having it be black. You are dealing with scratches and a metallic color and clearcoat and blending, and the fact that you are wondering how to fix it is evidence in itself of your inexperience- no offense intended. Minimally decent paintwork on something of this size (I canít even see where the scratch in the upper right side ends) is not an easy thing to do, period. I recommend that you bite the bullet and take it to a competent body shop if you want your car to look good. As to the idea that it canít hurt to try, I will tell you that it *can* hurt to do this yourself if you value the appearance of this part of your car - and your disposition - because I can pretty well guarantee that it is going to ruin your day when you try fixing it yourself.

    26. #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Billk9989 View Post
      I have done auto paint work in the past. This is no insignificant blemish, it is a fairly large area. I would not do this myself if I wanted the car to look good afterwards, and it doesnít matter that the car is black - there is a lot more to making your car look good than just having it be black. You are dealing with scratches and a metallic color and clearcoat and blending, and the fact that you are wondering how to fix it is evidence in itself of your inexperience- no offense intended. Minimally decent paintwork on something of this size (I canít even see where the scratch in the upper right side ends) is not an easy thing to do, period. I recommend that you bite the bullet and take it to a competent body shop if you want your car to look good. As to the idea that it canít hurt to try, I will tell you that it *can* hurt to do this yourself if you value the appearance of this part of your car - and your disposition - because I can pretty well guarantee that it is going to ruin your day when you try fixing it yourself.
      If he's keen on not paying for a professional repair, and tries Dr. Colorchip or some other repair kit, it probably might pass the 5 foot muster...But, it won't be great, just passable. Either way, I bet those panels will require stripping and repainting if he has a bodyshop do the work. Blending only goes so far.

    27. #25
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      54
      Well, I dunno. Iím not current on touchup kits, so maybe there is some new magic on the market. In the old days I did entire cars in enamel and hand-rubbed lacquer. And I did some painting with the newer catalyzed materials when they came out (using nothing more than a paint respirator, like an idiot duh, when fresh-air was the only safe thing). So I donít know the latest materials, but I do have a lot of experience with the basic methods and problems - and the only reason that that car might look minimally passible from 5 feet, if I went at it with sandpaper and spray cans, is that the damage is down low and itís a dark color and the location of the panel crease might be enough to keep some of the reflection down. We all hate these unexpected expenses and disruptions when they pop up, but in the end, were it me, I would just grit my teeth and take it to a professional if I cared about the appearance. My $0.02...
      Last edited by Billk9989; 03-06-2020 at 07:54 AM.

    28. #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Billk9989 View Post
      Well, I dunno. Iím not current on touchup kits, so maybe there is some new magic on the market. In the old days I did entire cars in enamel and hand-rubbed lacquer. And I did some painting with the newer catalyzed materials when they came out (using nothing more than a paint respirator, like an idiot duh, when fresh-air was the only safe thing). So I donít know the latest materials, but I do have a lot of experience with the basic methods and problems - and the only reason that that car might look minimally passible from 5 feet, if I went at it with sandpaper and spray cans, is that the damage is down low and itís a dark color and the location of the panel crease might be enough to keep some of the reflection down. We all hate these unexpected expenses and disruptions when they pop up, but in the end, were it me, I would just grit my teeth and take it to a professional if I cared about the appearance. My $0.02...
      I'd probably bite the bullet if I were OP and do an insurance claim if appearance mattered. Any DIY home remedy isn't going to pass muster. Period. Other option live with it and realize wear and tear will happen over time.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 03-06-2020 at 09:19 AM.

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Posts
      317
      Quote Originally Posted by Billk9989 View Post
      I have done auto paint work in the past. This is no insignificant blemish, it is a fairly large area. I would not do this myself if I wanted the car to look good afterwards, and it doesnít matter that the car is black - there is a lot more to making your car look good than just having it be black. You are dealing with scratches and a metallic color and clearcoat and blending, and the fact that you are wondering how to fix it is evidence in itself of your inexperience- no offense intended. Minimally decent paintwork on something of this size (I canít even see where the scratch in the upper right side ends) is not an easy thing to do, period. I recommend that you bite the bullet and take it to a competent body shop if you want your car to look good. As to the idea that it canít hurt to try, I will tell you that it *can* hurt to do this yourself if you value the appearance of this part of your car - and your disposition - because I can pretty well guarantee that it is going to ruin your day when you try fixing it yourself.
      black makes a huge difference if you are trying to blend. with it being that low on the car, no insurance would pay for a blend. my family owns a body shop so i've been around this and way worse. i would compound and see how bad it is. then after that i would see if i could live with it. man if this was white or pearl.... it would be miserable.

      if that fender flare comes painted, at worse you need the door painted. and then you won't need the bumper to be blended either. if it doesn't come prepainted, then you are going to have get that painted as well. i would ask for that to be shot off the car so you won't see edge or tape line. black onxy, paint the will be laid down then they would clear the entire door and the bumper flare.
      Sid
      2019 Volvo XC90 T6 OSD
      2007 Porsche 911 Turbo
      2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10
      2012 Ducati Diavel

    30. #28
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      39,113
      There is no way a DYI job (no matter how handy one is) will be able to achieve a match that will not give a clue that this has been repainted.

      I see a lot of ďexpertsĒ here re: DYI ideas but they are all nit taking into account that itís a metallic color and there is possible metal deformation from the encounter...

      Either pay a body shop to do this perfectly or let the insurance handle it.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      774
      Got it done! I'm at home because of the covid shutdown in my state. Body shops are still open however so I took it in for an estimate. Didn't want to go through insurance and we settled on a cash payment of $700 in crisp $100 bills.

      Looks better than new. The reflections don't do this any justice, everything is like a mirror!

      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

      DIY Oil Change:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ange-with-pics

      DIY Brake Pads:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ment-with-pics

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      759
      Lookin' very nice! Glad you body-shopped it
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      ďScientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.Ē - Theodore von Karman

    33. #31
      Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      Got it done! I'm at home because of the covid shutdown in my state. Body shops are still open however so I took it in for an estimate. Didn't want to go through insurance and we settled on a cash payment of $700 in crisp $100 bills.

      Looks better than new. The reflections don't do this any justice, everything is like a mirror!
      Volvo Body Shop do the work or a 3rd party? Hell, I have a deep clear coat scratch and a panel repaint was quoted at around $800.

    34. #32
      Junior Member beers's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Location
      SF Bay Area, U.S.
      Posts
      225
      Looks perfect - you made the right call ss!
      2020 S60 PE, Matte Grey
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Blonde
      former: 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Crystal White/Charcoal
      former: 2006 XC90 V8 Titanium Gray/Graphite

    35. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2020
      Posts
      29
      Good work! Now,.... it's time to replace your wife.

    36. #34
      Quote Originally Posted by hohohong View Post
      Good work! Now,.... it's time to replace your wife.
      Clearly you know nothing about the American Legal System. Far cheaper to repair the bumper than get a new wife and give old one 50% of your stuff!

    37. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. On Her Way For Her Heart Transplant!
      By BOOSTED S60R in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: 11-30-2010, 05:55 PM
    2. Wife rear ended in her XC90 (minor damage)
      By flybynight in forum XC90 (2003 - 2014)
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 12-23-2008, 10:47 AM
    3. Someone keyed/scratched the #$%@# out of my wife's R!
      By bb vign in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 06-06-2008, 09:08 PM
    4. Start her or sit her?
      By MillionMilePlus245DL in forum 240, 242, 244 & 245 (1974-1993)
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 01-27-2008, 01:39 PM
    5. Replies: 18
      Last Post: 10-16-2003, 09:53 AM