Stop/start finally works
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Stop/start finally works

I am one of those apparently rare Volvo owners who LIKES the automatic stop/start feature, and who does not fear that it impugns my masculinity or hero-driverhood. Though it rarely worked, when it did the feature, at least in our car, operated seamlessly, and as far as I could tell had no negative features. After all, why should I sit for anywhere from 30 seconds to two minutes at a stoplight burning gas? That's just stupid. (I understand that there are those who feel stopping and starting the engine frequently can have an adverse effect on the machinery, but I'm trusting that Volvo knows what it is doing. If in the next few years we start seeing evidence that this isn't the case, I'll change my mind.)

But it rarely worked.

I have now fixed that by installing a Ctek battery charger/monitor, on the advice of several members of this forum. Stop/start now works 100 percent of the time, just as it should. The problem, apparently, was that driving the car every two or three days on relatively short trips--occasional 150-milers to/from Newark Airport--simply didn't keep the small accessory battery charged sufficiently to run the stop/start. The Ctek has totally fixed that.

Ctek is a Swedish company (though the actual units are made in China, not surprisingly), so I have to assume their chargers interface well with Volvos.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Count me in the minority of owners who like the Volvo stop-start system.

A Battery charger is probably the only option to have the Start-Stop working without fail.

Even my daily 70+ miles driving isn't enough to maintain charge. I have to go on 2-300+ mile drives for it to work for the next week or so, and then it's again back to non-functional.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Further to your observations, I have been monitoring the battery charge current in real time on my 2016 Ford. It takes hours of continuous driving to fully charge the battery (AGM type). My daily, short commute can easily cause the battery state of charge to stay under 80%.

I think this shortens the battery lifetime. I connect a smart charger about once a month.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I connect the Ctek whenever the car isn't being driven.

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      I connect the Ctek whenever the car isn't being driven.
      Glad that seems to be a solution. I’ve only experienced a couple of non-activation of Start/Stop, but it usually starts working again spontaneously.

Ufy is fairly low mileage, at 12k now after the April ‘18 manufacture date. Majority of my trips are only about 20 miles so a bit surprised that I haven’t had more “failures”. Perhaps west coast Volvos just maintain a better charge...lol.

Hope the Brown Bomber is still entertaining you.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
      Perhaps west coast Volvos just maintain a better charge...lol.
      That very well might be the case. MI winters don't duck around!

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

What else does this battery power and where is it located in the car? I've noticed that my start/stop has stopped working. Don't really care but just wondered if I need to charge the battery for other items powered from it.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      That very well might be the case. MI winters don't duck around!
      😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Agreed! I’m originally from northern Iowa. When people in the Seattle area complain about our “awful” weather I just laugh and laugh!

45 degrees with a bit of mist is pretty tough though.

It's located in the engine compartment at the right rear, looking from the front of the car. You can see the red plastic cover for the positive terminal. It's a little thing, and you can't really see the battery itself. I don't know what else it powers, and it may power only the stop/start system.

If you normally leave your car unlocked, like in a garage, there are a number of vampire draws on the car's electronics, and these will slowly run the battery down. Locking the car turns off these draws.

Interestingly enough, in our former MY 2015.5 Drive-E V60, the auto s/s had quit for a couple of months, so a visit to dealer whilst still under warranty (ca. 43000mi.) resulted in a new main battery replacement, as the tech found sub-optimal charge (no lo-batt warning), but did say that the auxiliary battery was “fine”. FWIW, the s/s never failed after that, and the aux batt never replaced up to 57K, when we gave the car up.

Thanks for passing along this lesson learned about the start/stop feature. I too will drive low miles locally and the occasional long drive on weekends. I like the idea of this feature and I don't mind a a fraction of a second delay off the line. I'll take you advice and hook up a trickle charger once a month and top that aux battery up to full during long periods o non-use. Thanks for the tip.

It's located in the engine compartment at the right rear, looking from the front of the car. You can see the red plastic cover for the positive terminal. It's a little thing, and you can't really see the battery itself. I don't know what else it powers, and it may power only the stop/start system.

If you normally leave your car unlocked, like in a garage, there are a number of vampire draws on the car's electronics, and these will slowly run the battery down. Locking the car turns off these draws.
      Didn’t know about the locked/unlocked battery situation. Thanks!

I am one of those apparently rare Volvo owners who LIKES the automatic stop/start feature, and who does not fear that it impugns my masculinity or hero-driverhood. Though it rarely worked, when it did the feature, at least in our car, operated seamlessly, and as far as I could tell had no negative features. After all, why should I sit for anywhere from 30 seconds to two minutes at a stoplight burning gas? That's just stupid. (I understand that there are those who feel stopping and starting the engine frequently can have an adverse effect on the machinery, but I'm trusting that Volvo knows what it is doing. If in the next few years we start seeing evidence that this isn't the case, I'll change my mind.)

But it rarely worked.
      Hear, Hear!
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

But it rarely worked.

I have now fixed that by installing a Ctek battery charger/monitor, on the advice of several members of this forum. Stop/start now works 100 percent of the time, just as it should. The problem, apparently, was that driving the car every two or three days on relatively short trips--occasional 150-milers to/from Newark Airport--simply didn't keep the small accessory battery charged sufficiently to run the stop/start. The Ctek has totally fixed that.

Ctek is a Swedish company (though the actual units are made in China, not surprisingly), so I have to assume their chargers interface well with Volvos.
      I was quite skeptical about the Start/Stop feature, but hey, that’s just part of my Scot’s heritage.

So, most of the time, I got into the habit of disabling it whenever I started the car. Then last fall I decided to attend a charity car event in Seattle. It was a nice day, so instead of using a ferry across Puget Sound, and took the long way ‘round by driving through Tacoma. Filled the tank about five miles from home, and cruising the freeway in light traffic I took a route to take me directly to the waterfront area. The old Highway 99 viaduct was in the process of demolition, and I was bit early getting town, and thought it might be interesting to see the progress of that eyesore coming down. What I’d not counted on was the fact that a Princess Cruise line mega ship was disembarking about 5000 passengers on the waterfront. In the mix of 5000 passengers, a few hundred Ubers, a herd of tour busses, and various private cars it was the nastiest traffic jam I’d ever encountered. It took about 45 minutes to go slightly over a mile.

When I’d exited the freeway the mpg readout indicated a touch over 31 mpg. As soon as I immersed myself in that jam, I turned on the Start/Stop system. When I parked the car the mileage indicator read a smidge under 31 mpg. It works seamlessly.

Sign me up coach. I’m a fan...

Thanks for this tip, porschie356. I put less than 5K miles on my V90 last year. Couple of road trips, but otherwise, it'll sit for days and then be driven for just short trips around town.

Quote Originally Posted by john_hamster View Post
      Interestingly enough, in our former MY 2015.5 Drive-E V60, the auto s/s had quit for a couple of months, so a visit to dealer whilst still under warranty (ca. 43000mi.) resulted in a new main battery replacement, as the tech found sub-optimal charge (no lo-batt warning), but did say that the auxiliary battery was “fine”...
      This was my experience, too. Main battery replaced about a year ago at first annual scheduled maintenance service visit for same reason as yours. Unfortunately, within three months of replacement, s/s stopped working again, except for a brief period after long road trip.

...If you normally leave your car unlocked, like in a garage, there are a number of vampire draws on the car's electronics, and these will slowly run the battery down. Locking the car turns off these draws.
      I, too, have been unaware of this. Thanks for the guidance.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Seems absurd locked vs unlocked would cause additional battery draw. Should be timer based. I know my slow ass Sensus doesn't boot up any faster being unlocked. Don't know what else the car could have running.

Seems absurd locked vs unlocked would cause additional battery draw.
      Then feel free to leave your car unlocked.

Then feel free to leave your car unlocked.
      👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Will the 12 volt trickle charged I keep my gas powered Honda generator topped off with do the job. It has a set of mini clamps that might work. What are the terminals like?

Mini clamps will certainly work. They're what the Ctek has. To see what the terminals are like, open your hood. (The release is on the left sidewall, next to the driver's left shin. Pull it toward you. You'll hear a bell chime three times.) The positive terminal is under the only red plastic cover under the hood and is a standard post, about five-eighths of an inch in diameter. For the negative clamp, select any good chassis ground, bare of paint and not sheetmetal. A solid bolt or stud is best.

Your Honda-generator trickle charger should certainly work, but I think that's about all it'll do--trickle charge. I don't think it will really monitor the battery or desulfate it or do any of the other thing a good Ctek charger/monitor will do, and the Ctek is only a hundred-odd dollars, as I remember. Considering the value of your car, it's a minimal but potentially important investment. Available on Amazon, and there's a link somewhere above.
      Last edited by porschie356; 03-04-2020 at 12:09 AM.

Re: unlock discharging the battery. My buddy has a VW and he was told the same thing by VW. The keyless entry and starting apparently uses more power looking for the key when the vehicle is unlocked. Absurd? Or the new paradigm?

Can some of you fans of the Auto Start/Stop tell me how you handle suburb neighborhood stop signs? Are you rolling through them? Because I have gotten in the habit of: start car, set Eco Mode (seriously... why can't Volvo just remember that setting, or the Auto Start/Stop?), turn off Auto Start/Stop, release parking brake, and go. If I don't turn off Auto Start/Stop, when I get to the end of my neighborhood road, I stop for maybe 2s and the engine stops then starts, which feels stupid and wasteful on fuel. I've tried looking for a configuration setting to adjust this time (i.e. stop engine after stopped for >2s or something) and found none.
      Current:
      2018 S90 T6 Momentum - bright silver with charcoal interior

Previous:
      2007 Pontiac Grand Prix
      2000 Monte Carlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by HR613 View Post
      Can some of you fans of the Auto Start/Stop tell me how you handle suburb neighborhood stop signs? Are you rolling through them? Because I have gotten in the habit of: start car, set Eco Mode (seriously... why can't Volvo just remember that setting, or the Auto Start/Stop?), turn off Auto Start/Stop, release parking brake, and go. If I don't turn off Auto Start/Stop, when I get to the end of my neighborhood road, I stop for maybe 2s and the engine stops then starts, which feels stupid and wasteful on fuel. I've tried looking for a configuration setting to adjust this time (i.e. stop engine after stopped for >2s or something) and found none.
      My driving case is entirely different, and probably that's why I like it. I do not have a city/bumper-to-bumper/slow-moving traffic. I live near the Interstate, and I have just one, one-minute-long red-light stop in either direction of my 70+ mile daily drive. Hence, the SS option fits perfectly in my case.

I understand why you won't like SS, given your driving conditions. If I were in a much busier setting like you, I wouldn't too.

You use way less fuel restarting than you do idling.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Comfort mode (the default) does wait about 1 second before stopping the engine, you might want to try that. I do agree that it is annoying that when you're reducing speed in Eco mode, and around 3MPH, the engine shuts down, especially when slowing down/stopping for a stop sign.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post
      ...What are the terminals like?
      ...The positive terminal is under the only red plastic cover under the hood and is a standard post, about five-eighths of an inch in diameter. For the negative clamp, select any good chassis ground, bare of paint and not sheetmetal. A solid bolt or stud is best...
      There's a negative terminal bare post near the edge of the engine compartment near the positive terminal. On the top of the fuse box, there's an arrow with a " - " (negative sign) within it pointing to the post. rkohou provided a good picture in his current 'nothing to do' thread (negative clamp is kind of lost in the dark background, but is directly to the right of the red one, at the edge of the picture):

Attachment 59361
      Last edited by aardvarkbark; 03-04-2020 at 08:35 AM.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

I'm not sure if this is the latest update or not but its now quiet easy in my car to stop without the stop-start activating (despite being in a condition to activate) by not depressing the pedal too hard. Its easy to come to a stop by pressing the pedal just enough to stop but not enough to activate it. Press the pedal a little harder and it then activates. Once you're used to it, its actually quiet convenient - press softly when you know you won't be stationary that long, press fully when for instance you're at a light and its worth turning off the engine. I used to be annoyed by start-stop but now I quiet like it. Of course it may depend on your driving style. No offense to her but my wife is a New Yorker and drives like one - start-stop, gas-brake and she has doesn't have the subtlety to do it. Experiment a little and see if you can get used to it.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Can some of you fans of the Auto Start/Stop tell me how you handle suburb neighborhood stop signs?
      If you roll through a stop sign at even one-sixteenth of an mph, the stop/start won't engage. Yes, I indeed never come to a full, absolute, brakes-set, wheels-chocked stop at a sign unless it's absolutely necessary, so sue me. It's actually a little game I play, seeing if I can avoid actuating the system if it's only going to be on for a second or two. Roll up behind a line at a stop sign slowly enough that by the time you get to the line, it's moving, for example. Just another thing to do to keep me engaged with my driving. I don't own a smartphone and I'm too deaf to enjoy listening to music, so there's not much else to distract me.

I agree that it's a pain for the stop/start to engage only momentarily, so I create situations to avoid that. I have always driven "ahead of the car," like taking my foot off the gas if I see a red light a block or two ahead, so it'll be green when I reach it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post
      Will the 12 volt trickle charged I keep my gas powered Honda generator topped off with do the job. It has a set of mini clamps that might work. What are the terminals like?
      A trickle charger might work, but I wouldn’t rely on it. For many years, decades actually, I used Battery Tenders to keep my motorcycle batteries topped up. But found out they didn’t work so well on BMW gel cell batteries on a R1100S. After going through 2 batteries in four years, did a bit of research and decided to try a Ctek charger. Problem solved. On that particular bike it was a real chore to replace a battery; mirrors, side panels, gas tank cover had to be removed. Removing the side panels involved laying on the floor, reaching inside the panels to find the small screws that you cannot see, and use an Allen wrench a quarter of a turn about 50 times to remove the damned screw. Could easily take an hour just to get to the point where you can remove the actual battery.

Once I started plugging the bike into the Ctek, no new batteries in eight years. The Ctek model for that bike came with lugs for permanent attachment to the battery, no clips involved.

Cheers!

I get in my car, start it, set the Eco mode and go. I do not find the start stop to be an annoyance — except when it does not work. I drive in urban, suburban, rural and highway conditions. Perhaps it’s because I had been driving hybrids for the past 10 years - which have start stop features.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      Comfort mode (the default) does wait about 1 second before stopping the engine, you might want to try that. I do agree that it is annoying that when you're reducing speed in Eco mode, and around 3MPH, the engine shuts down, especially when slowing down/stopping for a stop sign.
      In Eco mode, mine stops about a second after I come to a complete stop. And if it does not (assuming that the icon indicates that the start stop function is enabled), I might have to press the brake pedal hard as far as it will go in order to engage the start stop. (Btw, my SA says that it is functioning as designed — Perhaps #Tech can weigh in on that).

My 2020 in eco stops second or 2 before I come to stop almost every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      My 2020 in eco stops second or 2 before I come to stop almost every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      We must be pressing the brake pedal pretty hard to come to a stop! LOL
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

@porschie356 (or others) -- are you using the normal or agm setting? Mine arrives soon, so maybe it's clear in the enclosed instructions, but watching the tutorial provided by ctek on youtube, the fellow says 'use normal if it's a 12v battery, use agm if the car has start/stop'. The Volvo owner's manual says the battery is 12v and agm.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

I asked this very question by PM--didn't want to bother everybody else--of the poster who initially suggested to me the use of a Ctek (can't remember his handle, but he has been very helpful and responsive). He said that he uses the agm snowflake-logo mode, so that's what I have now been using. I had used the normal mode for a week before switching, and it seemed to work just fine. So take your choice.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast