Stop/start finally works - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      On my BMW bike, the snowflake symbol seemed to the right setting for the AGM battery. Kept that battery in good shape even during 4 months or so of not riding season.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks porschie356 and SeabeckS. I used the Selection Tool on the Ctek site and for 2018 V90, it indicated I should get MXS 5.0. The 5.0 has agm setting, but no snowflake. You guys musta got one of them hi-falutin models!

In the Q&A for 5.0 tutorial youtube vid, Ctek replies to a question with "you need to confirm with the manufacturer what bulk charge voltage should be used with your AGM battery. 14.7V use AGM Mode - 14.4V use Normal Mode"

They also say "if you're unsure, use normal mode".

I only find reference in Volvo literature to the battery being 12v, but nothing regarding "bulk charge".

I guess I'll use normal mode just to be safe, and since you say it worked for you, p356.

I also read in the youtube tutorial video comments that the unit gets hot while charging. Do you folks put any sort of insulation material under it to protect whatever you have it sitting atop? I found the instructions on the ctek web site. It says to be sure the unit is level with bottom down when in use, so I presume it'll be sitting on top of something in the engine compartment (and as far away from the battery as possible, according to the instructions).
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Stop/start finally works

The charger won’t get super hot to burn anything. It gets warm enough to get you thinking tho. All it depends on how low the battery was and how much current it needs / how long it needs to use it for. When it gets over that initial program of higher current it switches gradually to the lower programs and at that point the charger is just lightly warm on the bottom. @trickle charge he the the temps are back to nothing. Let me hook it up to empty battery and post some high temps for you. Attached photos @trickle charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by rkohou; 03-08-2020 at 03:36 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Stop/start finally works

This is temp on 11.4v battery taken out of Audi S5. ( owner didn’t take care of it much)
      I will be taking photo every 30 min to see how high it gets. And update this post accordingly.

First 5 min:

This after 1 hour of trying hard to revive the death battery.

Last edited by rkohou; 03-08-2020 at 05:18 PM.

My Ctek is on 24/7 except when the car is in use. Sometimes it's on nonstop for three or four days. I just went out and felt it, and it's ambient temp--about 58 degrees F. In days past, I have actually been curious as to whether it might heat up and have touch-tested it. Never noticed any heat. I guess that means I'm just trickle-charging.

Quote Originally Posted by HR613 View Post
      Can some of you fans of the Auto Start/Stop tell me how you handle suburb neighborhood stop signs? Are you rolling through them? Because I have gotten in the habit of: start car, set Eco Mode (seriously... why can't Volvo just remember that setting, or the Auto Start/Stop?), turn off Auto Start/Stop, release parking brake, and go. If I don't turn off Auto Start/Stop, when I get to the end of my neighborhood road, I stop for maybe 2s and the engine stops then starts, which feels stupid and wasteful on fuel. I've tried looking for a configuration setting to adjust this time (i.e. stop engine after stopped for >2s or something) and found none.
      Personally, I like the S/S feature and tend to mostly drive in Comfort mode with S/S on. In your case, a better method may be to define a Custom profile in which you can set it use eco mode with S/S off. You can also set other things that you may like at the same time. This way, you start your car and select the Custom mode and everything is as you want it.

If it's just for a couple of neighborhood stops, you could always just move the shift lever over to the manual mode. I do that when garaging the vehicle and only waiting for the garage door to finish opening, and then position adjustments in the garage.

If you brake gently and come to a complete stop gently, the stop/start does not activate. You have to use the brake relatively firmly to activate it. I can go all day without activating it even though it is selected "on," simply by anticipating what's coming up rather than rushing from stoplight to stoplight. Admittedly, this may only work in light-traffic exurban areas, but that's where I have chosen to live.

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      I have now fixed that by installing a Ctek battery charger/monitor, on the advice of several members of this forum.
      Thanks p356 and rkohou. After ten months of it never engaging, I now have start/stop. Took less than ten hours for Ctek to restore it for me. I couldn't help but think of the moment from Young Frankenstein when Wilder declares "It's ALIVE!!"
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Good to know it works for all that try. I just reviewed a 11.1v battery with the recon function of the charger. Took 22h but it works fine for now. The max temp of the charger was 161F

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      Good to know it works for all that try. I just reviewed a 11.1v battery with the recon function of the charger. Took 22h but it works fine for now. The max temp of the charger was 161F

Wow, that's pretty damn hot! What Ctek model are you using?
      Future: 2021 V90 CC (OSD)
      Current: 2017 Subaru Outback Touring
      Previous: 2005 Volvo V70R
      1971 Triumph Tiger 650 (OSD)

Mine is 7002.

I have an old (2006 vintage) BMW trickle charger. I wonder if it would work the same miracle for me, since I don't drive that much, especially with the coronavirus in full blossom.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Herndon View Post
      I have an old (2006 vintage) BMW trickle charger. I wonder if it would work the same miracle for me, since I don't drive that much, especially with the coronavirus in full blossom.
      It might, but that’s probably the same charger that failed to keep my BMW motorcycle AGM battery in good shape. Then switched to the CTEK.

But, why not try it anyway? 🤓

If it is something like this one it will get it done slower but @1.25A max it will get there eventually.
      The trickle charging capability are good in my personal opinion. Had it for years on Jag.

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      If it is something like this one it will get it done slower but @1.25A max it will get there eventually.
      The trickle charging capability are good in my personal opinion. Had it for years on Jag.

Exactly the one that did not work on my BMW bike. But that was a small AGM battery. The CTEK rehabilitated a battery that was going downhill. Perhaps this one would be okay for a Volvo. Always worth a shot. 🤓

Which Ctek do people seem to like best?

Seems like the Multi US 7002 is the best choice. One I had was an earlier version of the “current” model.

I got a 7002 on the advice of rkohou, and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Herndon View Post
      Which Ctek do people seem to like best?
      Ctek had a Product Selection Tool on their website a week ago. Entering 2018 V90, it indicated I should get MXS 5.0. They have now replaced the tool with a chart which suggests the 5.0 has broader application than the 7002 (for snow mobile, atv and motor cycle; not sure why). Both models offer the 8-step process and are designed for agm batteries (though I used 'normal' setting with success). You may want to check out the Ctek site and/or call them and/or view some youtube videos about the two models. The 5.0 is less expensive, so fit with my miserly spending habits.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Stop/start finally works

https://www.batteryfocus.com/best-ct...rgers-for-car/

Both good charges. In 2016 7002 was the top of the line and therefore I have it. With 7A max it has a chance reviving dead battery compare to the smaller chargers.

Last edited by rkohou; 03-14-2020 at 03:46 PM.

We just got a new V60 R and drove it back from the dealer 1500 miles. The auto start/stop worked great. Then, the car sat on the driveway for 10 days. Read the computer version of the manual and it never mentioned the battery runs down if the car isn't locked. But...Here on SS I have answers that are no BS. So I hooked up my trickle charger and hope to see great results in a few days when I take the car for a spin. Thanks to everyone who shares the honest facts. Not sure they worked out the issues with letting the car sit for days. My car way made in late November of 2019 in Sweden-it isn't a battery problem. Thanks to this forum I won't waste time trying to get it fixed. I don't mind keeping a tender on the battery. Great car!

Seems absurd locked vs unlocked would cause additional battery draw. Should be timer based. I know my slow ass Sensus doesn't boot up any faster being unlocked. Don't know what else the car could have running.
      This smart guy didn't understand that the door lock/unlock feature stays alive while the car is unlocked. It's waiting for you to lock the car, after which it goes to bed. Probably some other stuff does as well, which doesn't "seem absurd " to me.

This smart guy didn't understand that the door lock/unlock feature stays alive while the car is unlocked. It's waiting for you to lock the car, after which it goes to bed. Probably some other stuff does as well, which doesn't "seem absurd " to me.
      Doesn't seem absurd to me either. Just because Volvo logic doesn't mirror American logic doesn't mean it is bad. However, Volvo USA could help us understand Volvo EU logic better so we may adapt our minds to a global logic vs. our own American way of looking at things. IMHO. I suggest this in general not just Volvo specifically.

I ordered a 4.3 amp Ctek today. My 1.1 Amp has brought the battery up to 75% over night from 25%. But I think the all weather cold climate model with 4x the amps will restore and then maintain the battery better than the Genius 1.1 amp unit. I use the 1.1 amp on the small 12 VAC battery my Honda 7KW needs to stay healthy and ready for action. Besides, I like keeping all the features working and having my battery last for years and years.

The Ctek product promises long battery life and no worries during the coldest winters. I even ordered the rubber case for it and the 10 foot extension to keep everything neat. I think I will clamp the + lead to the charging anode and use a ring terminal to secure the - to a chassis ground. This way I can close the red plastic cap on the anode and run the connector out through an opening near the left hood latch. Should be a neat install. There will be a place to put the rubber cased charger under the hood and still close and latch. We often will go a couple of weeks or longer not using the V60 during the winter...Keeping the battery topped off at 100% makes sense to me.

Perfect accessory for our coronavirus times. I'm only running essential errands and, since not flying during these times, not making periodic trips to the airport, and since I'm not staying in any hotel, no road trips, either. At least I know I'll have s/s the next time I do drive somewhere.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

I know that starting a standard old-fashioned ICE-only car take like 15% of the battery, so a few starts can really drain it. And just going to the store isn't enough to recharge. I, first time volvo owner, also now know that there's a battery just for start/stop so that you're not left w/o a main battery. After this good-read thread on the battery, it now makes sense why the manual for my T8 says that plugging the car in, charges the start/stop battery and the capacity battery. Since that s/s battery can get drained so easily. Seems they have learned something themselves. I love to learn, and these forums are full of great information. Thanks All. I've been using the T8 as a quick trip taxi since I can get to something local and back on just electrons. Otherwise we're all stuck home in Atlanta.

So, my S90T8 is apparently broken badly. Been at the shop for 2 days now. They said they had to hook it up and let corporate log into it and do the rest. Who knows. But I now have a 2020 XC60 T5 AWD. To which I have a stop/start question: On the way home, sitting at a redlight, car turned off as I came to a stop, fine there. Maybe 20 or 30 seconds into it, it starts back up and stays running the rest of the light (very long light). Was it A) out of charge, B) needed to provide HVAC? Just thought it was odd that it only stayed off for a little bit. I love the new maps on the dash, if I recall, 2020 got android dash right?

Did you continue to hold the brake down relatively firmly, or did you back off it a bit? The latter will signal the engine to restart.

I did hold it down, i have a weird vertigo thing if people in adjacent cars move, so I always hold the brakes hard just in case. I have a feeling I'll have this car for the weekend so I'll give it a try. Although there's not going to be many places to go with it all shut down.

Ctek

I am one of those apparently rare Volvo owners who LIKES the automatic stop/start feature, and who does not fear that it impugns my masculinity or hero-driverhood. Though it rarely worked, when it did the feature, at least in our car, operated seamlessly, and as far as I could tell had no negative features. After all, why should I sit for anywhere from 30 seconds to two minutes at a stoplight burning gas? That's just stupid. (I understand that there are those who feel stopping and starting the engine frequently can have an adverse effect on the machinery, but I'm trusting that Volvo knows what it is doing. If in the next few years we start seeing evidence that this isn't the case, I'll change my mind.)

But it rarely worked.

I have now fixed that by installing a Ctek battery charger/monitor, on the advice of several members of this forum. Stop/start now works 100 percent of the time, just as it should. The problem, apparently, was that driving the car every two or three days on relatively short trips--occasional 150-milers to/from Newark Airport--simply didn't keep the small accessory battery charged sufficiently to run the stop/start. The Ctek has totally fixed that.

Ctek is a Swedish company (though the actual units are made in China, not surprisingly), so I have to assume their chargers interface well with Volvos.
      Which Ctek model did you buy? How long does it take to fully charge the battery? Do you leave the car hood fully opened, or can you lightly close it? I'm all for greater fuel efficiency, but don't like the effect start/stop has on the air conditioning in warm weather (the car interior heats up quickly).

Once the battery has been discharged to the point that the start/stop feature no longer works, is it possible to charge the battery sufficiently by just driving a certain distance (and perhaps at a certain speed)? An hour drive at 30 - 45 mph with some stops at lights and stop signs is apparently not sufficient.

No amount of driving brought my stop/start battery back, including several 140-mile parkway round trips to KEWR. Hooked up the Ctek and within a day, everything was fine again.

I have a 2018 S90 T6 built in Sept 2017. My stop/start stopped working and when I checked the state of charge with my battery charger it said it was at 74%. It is a GSM charger. I used it on regular charge until it said the battery was full, then switched it to trickle which showed it was really at about 90%, so I left that on for a few hours until it reached 100%. The stop/start then worked normally for about 2 weeks until the problem returned. Again showed 74% charge state. Rinse and repeat. I brought it to my dealer who checked the charging system and did a battery load test and found there was nothing wrong with either one. They said I needed a software update, did that and I have not had a problem since. That was in early December 2019. It is now late March 2020. I really thought I needed a new battery, but apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post
      I ordered a 4.3 amp Ctek today. My 1.1 Amp has brought the battery up to 75% over night from 25%. But I think the all weather cold climate model with 4x the amps will restore and then maintain the battery better than the Genius 1.1 amp unit. I use the 1.1 amp on the small 12 VAC battery my Honda 7KW needs to stay healthy and ready for action. Besides, I like keeping all the features working and having my battery last for years and years.

The Ctek product promises long battery life and no worries during the coldest winters. I even ordered the rubber case for it and the 10 foot extension to keep everything neat. I think I will clamp the + lead to the charging anode and use a ring terminal to secure the - to a chassis ground. This way I can close the red plastic cap on the anode and run the connector out through an opening near the left hood latch. Should be a neat install. There will be a place to put the rubber cased charger under the hood and still close and latch. We often will go a couple of weeks or longer not using the V60 during the winter...Keeping the battery topped off at 100% makes sense to me.
      I wired a fused cable connected to the SS battery and ran it thru the lower part of the grill with a water proof connector.
      I wired my battery minder to an outlet and ran the cable along the front wall in front of both cars. The cable is held up by a hook so when you drive in you just plug the cable into the cable coming from the grill. No open hood, no chargers sitting somewhere, clean - looks like a charging station.
      I always lock the car when parked and if not used in 2 day I plug it in. Never had a problem with SS.
      The same with my 07' V70. Original battery lasted 13 + years.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast