Stop/start finally works - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      My BMW trickle charger wouldn't even indicate that it was charging the battery. The red light just blinked. I thought maybe the cigarette lighter connection wasn't live, so tried the one located in the trunk of the car, which is supposed to be always live, and it didn't work, either.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I bought a Ctek polar rated model that is set up to provide up to 4.3 amps. It has low temp line cords that can handle sub zero temps. What is great is it is marked down $43 on Amazon, must be a slow seller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ($77).

Came with ring terminals that I connected directly to the Aux s/s battery. Had to modify the enclosure to allow the cable to exit the battery case. Charging unit has cables that allow the hood to close and the line cord exit the hood near the headlights on the front right. I use a flat heavy duty extension cord that makes it easy to close the hood. Full charge after 24 hrs. If anyone is interested I can post pictures. I use the small battery mode (snow machines and such) as indicated in the instructions. The website says the battery will have a long life if maintained with the Ctek unit. Sounds good to me.

People who hard-wire a trickle charger like the Ctek directly to the battery typically lead the plug for external power out through the front grille somewhere, to negate having to open the hood every time you want to plug the charger in. Has anybody done an installation where that plug exits from the engine compartment to a location under the windshield wipers? It would be more hidden and would be equally accessible. (I'd go out and look at our V90 to see if there are any impediments, but it's snowing here in the Hudson River Valley right now, and I'm lazy from a month of "sheltering in place.")

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I actually like the Start/Stop system. Have had it in previous cars. Interesting that some have the need to charge, never have come across that but most of my driving is relatively long distance so perhaps that negates the need.
      2019 V90CC, Onyx Black, Luxury Package

Past - 2018 - V90CC, Maple Brown

Past - 2018 V60CC, Loaded, Saville Grey

Totalled - 2016 V60 RD, Platinum Loaded, Onyx Black

Past - 2013 S60 RD, Platinum, Rebel Blue

2002 V40 Sport, Red

Stop/start finally works

I did and posted photos of the cable on my V90
      After routing the cable up it turned out to be bad idea and didn’t like the results. New location has been working perfect.
      Reposting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by rkohou; 03-25-2020 at 10:44 AM.

This is just poor design. I've never seen another vehicle be this finnicky about S/S, and most vehicles with S/S don't even have the additional support battery. The fact some of you are willing to plug in a trickle charger blows my mind. I'm all for S/S, but I'm not messing with that crap to save a few dollars a year.

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      I did and posted photos of the cable on my V90
      After routing the cable up it turned out to be bad idea and didn’t like the results. New location has been working perfect.
      Reposting

Nice job. I did the exact same thing but exited the connector further down out of sight.

Quote Originally Posted by 392DCGC View Post
      This is just poor design. I've never seen another vehicle be this finnicky about S/S, and most vehicles with S/S don't even have the additional support battery. The fact some of you are willing to plug in a trickle charger blows my mind. I'm all for S/S, but I'm not messing with that crap to save a few dollars a year.
      That.

This is just poor design. I've never seen another vehicle be this finnicky about S/S, and most vehicles with S/S don't even have the additional support battery.
      The fact some of you are willing to plug in a trickle charger blows my mind.
      I'm all for S/S, but I'm not messing with that crap to save a few dollars a year.
      Why would you say that?

The fact some of you are willing to plug in a trickle charger blows my mind.
      I'm doing it in large part because it is said to considerably extend battery life, and I believe a Volvo main battery goes for somethimg like $250. Operable start/stop comes as a bonus. For those of you who say S/S is no bonus, the system on our V90 operates virtually imperceptibly, so I'll take it.

I have no issues with S/S. I rather like it. But Volvo gets EPA mileage credit for it working (one of the reasons why you can't permanently shut it off) and the idea that the car's electrical system is marginal to the point that the car must be driven every few days or for a certain length of time in order for S/S to keep working is ludicrous. I also don't particularly like that my ability to do a remote start is dependent on how recently I drove the vehicle (when it goes into sleep mode, remote start doesn't work). I've left my Mercedes untouched for a month and didn't have that issue. Love my V90CC. But what else is designed to the margins?

Us beta testers are glad Volvo finally figured out S/S... I wonder how much "credit" Volvo gets from the EPA?
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

I used to wear watches that never needed a charge. Now with smart watches, they have to be tended almost daily. Same with my phones. You know what, I don't mind charging my car. In fact, I have used a CTEK on my 2004 XKR, or prior owner did, since it was new. That Jaguar branded battery is still going strong 16 years later! I only drive it in the summer so all winter long the CTEK is on it.
      2005 XC 70
      2017 V60 R
      2020 V90 R
      2004 Jaguar XKR

I've ordered a Ctek device, but in the meantime, I received a warning light on the dash of my '17 S90 saying the "Stop/Start System Needs Service." The Ctek won't be delivered for another three weeks, and I'm reluctant to take the car to the dealer for service because of COVID-19. Do you all think the auxiliary battery is dead and needs to be replaced, or should I wait to see if the Ctek fixes the problem?

You have nothing to lose by trying to charge it.

He's saying he won't be able to charge it for another three weeks and is asking if it's okay to operate the car in the interim.

Since the warning says "the stop/start system" needs service, I'm guessing the rest of the powerplant is just fine, and that he's okay to drive it until he can try trickle-charging it. And as you say, he has nothing to lose by trying that before taking it to the dealer.

I just replied to the part where he asks “should I wait to see if the ctek fixes the problem. “
      I’m quite positive the car is fine to drive. He could also disable the feature in the meantime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Herndon View Post
      I've ordered a Ctek device, but in the meantime, I received a warning light on the dash of my '17 S90 saying the "Stop/Start System Needs Service." The Ctek won't be delivered for another three weeks, and I'm reluctant to take the car to the dealer for service because of COVID-19. Do you all think the auxiliary battery is dead and needs to be replaced, or should I wait to see if the Ctek fixes the problem?
      I don't mean to sound snarky or glib, but have you called your dealer's service department and asked them? I should think they'd be best able to answer your question.

FWIW, in a 18 V90, my SS wouldn't function, but I never received any battery or SS warning message as you have.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
      I don't mean to sound snarky or glib, but have you called your dealer's service department and asked them? I should think they'd be best able to answer your question.

FWIW, in a 18 V90, my SS wouldn't function, but I never received any battery or SS warning message as you have.
      No, I haven't called the dealer. I just disabled the start/stop function on the touch-screen, but the car otherwise seems to run fine. I'm keeping it locked when not driving it to conserve the battery.

If you are nervous about taking your car to the dealer, Volvo recently rolled out something called Volvo Valet and will take/return your car and leave a loaner.

I wish I knew that before taking mine in earlier this week.

I guess you dont need to use the loaner if there is concern about virus transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Herndon View Post
      I received that message last year on my '17 S90. The dealer replaced the start/stop battery under warranty to correct the problem.

I'm guessing that the start/stop battery probably does need replacement. I could use Volvo Valet for the dealer to come and pick up and then return the car, as I have installed this app on my iPhone. My wife is extremely nervous about COVID-19 and wants us to minimize contact with anyone, or anything that other people have touched, and we're leaving the house rarely, so I thought waiting to try out the Ctek I ordered would be a good alternative.

Stop/start finally works

Well if you very corona careful than the valet wouldn’t be best idea. Unless you have the ozone generator that you could leave in the car for 10 minutes to kill the virus. Otherwise you could wipe it down when it comes back. But that would be hard task for anyone with ocd like myself.
      I do have one and it tuned out priceless in times like this.
      Best $69 I spent on Amazon.

Best $69 I spent on Amazon.
      Doctor Oz would probably agree with you...

[QUOTE=rkohou;7545717]I did and posted photos of the cable on my V90
      Reposting

Rkohou, was admiring your wiring set up but I don't find any connectors from CTEK that actually have a longer wired connection that would extend from the battery terminals to the front of the V90. Did you do some fancy splicing to get your set up to extend that far?

The only Ctek item I could find to do this would be the panel mounted 3 light box, which would be too conspicuous I believe. I'd appreciate any insight on your hook up! Thanks, verdeo
      2005 XC 70
      2017 V60 R
      2020 V90 R
      2004 Jaguar XKR

Did you do some fancy splicing to get your set up to extend that far?
      I'm doing the same thing, and all it requires is a soldering gun and some solder. (And of course, a couple of feet of electrical wire, a pair of dykes, some heat-shrink tubing and a razor blade to strip the wire ends.). You could even do it with crimp connectors if you trusted them, which I don't.

Stop/start finally works

Here is wha I got and used for this project. Do I know how to solder? O yes, but ever since I came from Germany where I spend a week learning about their house building and technology they use I use these connectors. Heat gun is all you need. The ctek cable was cut in half then extended by the silicone 18g wire.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by rkohou; 04-10-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Oh yeah! Thanks for all of the resources, rkohou! ...as well as the push from porschie356. Now, any suggestions on where to source the Swedish color tape as long as you are at it? Or just go with any vinyl that is remotely blue and yellow? I like your work on the R grille.
      2005 XC 70
      2017 V60 R
      2020 V90 R
      2004 Jaguar XKR

Some people didn’t like it which is fine with me. Let me look at emails from last year.

Stop/start finally works

Here you go. You might try different color combo. I’m happy with mine. Here is photo from Europe

Last edited by rkohou; 04-10-2020 at 10:57 AM.

So NOW they tell me: Received a Volvo email (as I'm sure many of you did) that said in this time of less drive time, in order to keep your car battery in good shape, they recommend driving the car at least once a week for 20 minutes, or as a slightly less effective alternative, let the car idle for 20 minutes. Nothing about keeping the car locked, though.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD1 View Post
      ....Nothing about keeping the car locked, though.
      I'm guessing that's because, in general, people and companies assume that you lock your car when not in use.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

they recommend driving the car at least once a week for 20 minutes, or as a slightly less effective alternative, let the car idle for 20 minutes.
      I suppose that will do some good for the main battery, but it will have no effect on the aux battery for the stop/start system.

Will Have to Go to Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      I suppose that will do some good for the main battery, but it will have no effect on the aux battery for the stop/start system.
      My Ctek came, and I'm pleased with it. It progressed through all the battery charging tests, and eventually indicated that the battery was fully charged. However, I'm still getting a start/stop error message on the little message screen between the speedometer and odometer, so the auxiliary battery must be dead, other there's another problem. I'll just keep my ear to the ground about noises or other effects until I take it in for service (or use the valet).

You could try the recon mode on the ctek. First I would run in on the posts and than if you ok with it take the cover off and try to connect just the small battery. I guess there could be something else wrong down the line as well, but that is what I would try.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast