Stop/start finally works - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Here is the trouble shooting page from the Volvo manual that could help. Too bad they don't mention about locking the car saving battery storage life and quick start up of S/S feature...This could help some...
      Start/stop system
      3 Results

Start/Stop
      Updated 7/22/2018

With the Start/Stop function, the engine switches off temporarily when the car has stopped e.g. at traffic lights or in a traffic queue, and then starts again automatically when the journey is resumed.

close article
      Conditions for the Start/Stop function
      Updated 7/22/2018

For the Start/Stop function to work requires that a number of conditions are met.

If any condition is not met, this will be indicated in the driver display. See section "Using Start/Stop function".

The engine does not auto-stop
      The engine does not auto-stop in the following cases:

The car has not reached approx. 10 km/h(6 mph) after starting.
      After a number of repeated auto stops, speed must again exceed approx. 10 km/h(6 mph) before the next auto stop.
      The driver has unfastened the seatbelt.
      The capacity of the starter battery is below the minimum permissible level.
      The engine is not at normal operating temperature.
      The ambient temperature is under -5 °C or above approx. 30 °C.
      the windscreen's electric heating is activated.
      The environment in the passenger compartment deviates from the set values.
      the car is reversed.
      The starter battery's temperature is below or above the permitted limit values.
      The driver makes sweeping steering wheel movements.
      The road is very steep.
      The bonnet is opened.
      The gearbox is not at normal operating temperature.
      When driving at high altitudes when the engine has not reached operating temperature.
      The gear selector is in ± position
      The ABS system has been activated.
      In the event of heavy braking (even without the ABS system having been activated).
      Many starts during a short period of time have activated the starter motor's thermal protection.
      Applies to cars with diesel engines: The exhaust system's particulate filter is full.
      A trailer is connected electrically to the car’s electrical system.
      The engine does not auto-start
      In the following cases the engine does not auto-start after having auto-stopped:

The driver is unrestrained, the gear selector is in P position and the driver's door is open - a normal engine start must take place.
      The engine auto-starts without the brake pedal having been released
      In the following cases, the engine auto-starts even if the driver does not take his/her foot off the brake pedal:

High humidity in the passenger compartment forms misting on the windows.
      The environment in the passenger compartment deviates from the set values.
      There is a temporarily high current take-off or starter battery capacity drops below the lowest permissible level.
      Repeated pumping of the brake pedal.
      The bonnet is opened.
      The car starts to roll or increase speed slightly if the car auto-stopped without being completely stationary.
      The driver's seatbelt buckle is opened with the gear selector in D or N position.
      The gear selector is moved from D to position R or ±.
      The driver's door is opened with the gear selector in D position - a "ping" sound and text message indicate that the ignition is on.
      Warning
      Do not open the bonnet when the engine has auto-stopped. Switch off the engine normally before lifting up the bonnet.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My stop/start function has not worked since I bought my 2017 S90 in January, 2020. I have an appointment with the dealer to have it fixed, but have two questions: will it hurt the car to leave this problem unresolved until strict disinfection protocols are lifted, and if I should have it looked at, should I ask them not to use any bleach-based cleaner on the interior, as it might discolor the leather seats, dash, door panels, etc.? I guess a third question would be, how can I access the auxiliary battery myself? Volvo says it’s under the hood strut, but not on which side, and I couldn’t see any access to it on the driver’s side (didn’t check the passenger side). I could look for corrosion or perhaps attach the Ctek and charge it. Thanks.

The start/stop battery is just aft of the red-guarded positive post under the hood. You simply undo the two (10mm?) bolts that are apparent aft of the + post. The battery is very small--a motorcycle battery, basically.

I can't imagine that leaving your problem unresolved will have the slightest effect on your car.

I resolved my identical problem by installing a Ctek battery minder. Your dealer will "fix" your problem by fully charging the start/stop battery (assuming there isn't something wrong with it, and there probably isn't), but within days, you'll be right back where you started unless you hook up your own device to KEEP the battery 100% charged.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks! I'll see if I can fix it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      I am one of those apparently rare Volvo owners who LIKES the automatic stop/start feature, and who does not fear that it impugns my masculinity or hero-driverhood. Though it rarely worked, when it did the feature, at least in our car, operated seamlessly, and as far as I could tell had no negative features. After all, why should I sit for anywhere from 30 seconds to two minutes at a stoplight burning gas? That's just stupid. (I understand that there are those who feel stopping and starting the engine frequently can have an adverse effect on the machinery, but I'm trusting that Volvo knows what it is doing. If in the next few years we start seeing evidence that this isn't the case, I'll change my mind.)

But it rarely worked.

I have now fixed that by installing a Ctek battery charger/monitor, on the advice of several members of this forum. Stop/start now works 100 percent of the time, just as it should. The problem, apparently, was that driving the car every two or three days on relatively short trips--occasional 150-milers to/from Newark Airport--simply didn't keep the small accessory battery charged sufficiently to run the stop/start. The Ctek has totally fixed that.

Ctek is a Swedish company (though the actual units are made in China, not surprisingly), so I have to assume their chargers interface well with Volvos.
      How regularly do you drive the car? The start stop feature will not turn off the engine if the auxiliary battery is low. It prioritizes charging the aux battery first, and the aux battery will slowly drain keeping all the features going when the car is sitting.

It also will not turn off the engine until it is warmed up, which can take a while in the winter.

I find that if the car has been sitting a while (like it is prone to do in these pandemic times) it can take a good half an hour drive for both the condition of temperature and the condition of a charged aux battery to be fulfilled, so it can allow the engine to shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      How regularly do you drive the car? The start stop feature will not turn off the engine if the auxiliary battery is low. It prioritizes charging the aux battery first, and the aux battery will slowly drain keeping all the features going when the car is sitting.

It also will not turn off the engine until it is warmed up, which can take a while in the winter.

I find that if the car has been sitting a while (like it is prone to do in these pandemic times) it can take a good half an hour drive for both the condition of temperature and the condition of a charged aux battery to be fulfilled, so it can allow the engine to shut off.
      That follows my experience, the V90 sits in the garage for 7 to 10 days at a time, and has since March 9th. When it does get used for errands, the Start/Stop doesn’t work for a while, until the car is warmed up a bit and has a few miles of running. I tend to take some “scenic routes” to charge up the car battery, and my personal battery.

If this continues for a few more weeks, I may hook up a “smart” Battery Tender for a few days when the car is going to be idle for awhile. I loved the CTEK I had for my BMW R1100S, but that charger went with the bike when it was sold.

I don't see why we're discussing all these work-arounds. Get a Ctek and never give that mini-battery another thought. I'll cost you about $130, and what I have heard is that your main battery will last about three times as long as it otherwise would, and I'm guessing that big battery costs a good $300. My Ctek is installed permanently, and it is running whenever the car isn't, whether that's overnight or for two months. Done and done, no warmup needed, no driving to charge the battery, no waiting until the start/stop decides to come back on line.

Like the start/stop or not, personally I am concerned that it increases wear and tear on engine and starter motor. Particularly when the engine is still cold, I switch this function off. Unfortunately, you have to do it via the Sensus screen and cannot do it via voice command, which I think is poor. There are times when I use it and switching the function off and on via the sensus screen is a hazzle.
      And without using a trickle charger daily or at least every second day, it won't work at all. I use a Victron IP65 12V 15Amp Bluetooth charger, which works very well and is similar to the C-Tek chargers but a bit dearer. One can follow the charge patter via Bluetooth App on the mobile or tablet.

I am concerned that it increases wear and tear on engine and starter motor. Particularly when the engine is still cold
      Stop/start will not function until the engine is at normal operating temperature. It is one of the several dozen parameters that must be met before the system operates, so you are wasting your time trying to deactivate the system because the engine is still cold.

Stop/start will not function until the engine is at normal operating temperature. It is one of the several dozen parameters that must be met before the system operates, so you are wasting your time trying to deactivate the system because the engine is still cold.
      +1
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

The Ctek is just a charger, right?

So you plug the car in whenever you park it?

Yes. It charges to full and than maintains the full charge by trickle charging with minimal current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Porschie356
      Which model CTEK did you purchase and how did you wire the "On Board connection" to your battery system?
      Thank you in advance,

John
      Last edited by SKY-KING; 05-17-2020 at 07:38 PM.
      2018 V90 T6 RD Passion Red, Amber, Polestar

I bought the Ctek 7002 for about $130, though there are other choices that should also work and may even be better. It comes with two hookups to the battery--simple alligator clamps and also a pair of grommets for hard-wiring in place of the clamps. I removed the start/stop battery cover and fastened the positive (red) grommet to a terminal that is hooked to BOTH the aux and main battery--not the terminal that charges just the aux battery--and then fastened the negative grommet to what's under the exposed post to the right (looking aft) of the aux battery box. I then led the female plug-in end of the harness to a position near the driver's windshield wiper so that it is hidden yet accessible under the rear of the hood. This will require some added wire soldered into the harness to make it long enough to reach that position.

Some users prefer leading the harness to a position where it pokes out of the front grille, but this seemed to me to be additional work, and it leaves the plug-in end visible at the grille.

My Ctek box is screwed to the house-foundation wall next to our driveway and near an electrical socket, and I had to buy two eight-foot lengths of Ctek extension cord to connect the box to the car (about $12 for each eight-foot length).

If this sounds confusing, it will all make sense when you remove the battery cover and start to do the actual wiring.

I just spoke with my dealer's service department and when I mentioned that I wasn't particularly hot on the idea of removing/installing charging wires, or doing some kind of semi-permanent harness install. They said there are trickle chargers that connect via the 12V (i.e. lighter) receptacle that would work, though I'm thinking not quite as efficiently. Anyone try those??

If you purchase a CTEK be careful where you buy it. CTEKs come with a five year warranty, but only if purchased through an authorized dealer. A list of authorized dealers can be found on the CTEK site. Amazon is authorized. Many other on-line merchants are not.

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      Yes. It charges to full and than maintains the full charge by trickle charging with minimal current.

The CTEK chargers are somewhat more sophisticated than the typical trickle chargers. On motorcycles I used two different versions of the Battery Tender brand with success. Then...I got a BMW that used a gel cell battery, and used a Battery Tender Plus, and that battery died in a couple of years. Two years later the costly gel cell battery started to fade. I did some research, and found the CTEK chargers. Got one, plugged it in and it reconditioned the battery in short order. I no longer have that bike, but the current owner says that four years later the battery is in good shape.

I don't drive a lot. 11k miles in 2 years. I have a lease car that I mostly drive in winter so the V90CC has pretty much been in the garage since December, with the exception of maybe a 12 mile drive every 10 - 15 days. Start/stop has not worked since November. Based on comments here, figured the aux battery was pretty much dead and would have to be replaced. But....I've driven the car 3 times in the past 10 days, longest drive was 60 miles (yesterday), two were maybe 15 miles. Miraculously start/stop began working this morning. Just an interesting data point.....

Just curious, why do you guys use AGM mode? Our batteries aren't AGM, are they? My understanding is that there are two lead acid batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Meowgler View Post
      Just curious, why do you guys use AGM mode? Our batteries aren't AGM, are they? My understanding is that there are two lead acid batteries.
      When I asked my dealer about recommended battery chargers, the maintenance mgr. said there are numerous chargers out there that would work...just be sure to note that the battery is AGM.

I don't see why we're discussing all these work-arounds. Get a Ctek and never give that mini-battery another thought. I'll cost you about $130, and what I have heard is that your main battery will last about three times as long as it otherwise would, and I'm guessing that big battery costs a good $300. My Ctek is installed permanently, and it is running whenever the car isn't, whether that's overnight or for two months. Done and done, no warmup needed, no driving to charge the battery, no waiting until the start/stop decides to come back on line.
      Can somebody please post a photo of their permanent Ctek installation? How do you deal with the battery box covers (my words) which clamp down tightly over the battery? I'd think that would crimp/damage the wires as they trail from the battery to the Ctek and I'm having a tough time envisioning how things would be laid out.

I've been following this thread with great interest, having purchased a MY20 V60 CC a couple of months ago. At this time everything appears to be working perfectly and the Start/Stop functions according the conditions detailed in the online Manual. What's being said here in general seems to make a lot of sense about charging during times of low use. I'm a bit leery of messing with my new vehicle at this moment though. We also have a MY2013 XC70 which displays regular low battery messages on the dash until I take it out for a drive. The message then disappears. Of course that's a simpler vehicle with no Start/Stop or Sensus. Much appreciation for all the previously helpful backstory on this.

Stop/start finally works

post #75,94 photos

post #75,94 photos

Thank you - yes, I did see that. I'm not familiar with the V90 under the hood and was having a hard time interpreting the photo. The battery setup also looks different than my V60 CC. It's pretty clear where the positive is connected but I can't see the Negative connection. Also, is the battery compartment cover always kept OFF? I'm concerned that keeping the cover snapped on would crimp the wires.
      Last edited by lensguy; 10-18-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Stop/start finally works

Does yours look much different under the hood?
      I got the extension from ctek and mounted the plus under the positive charging post then the “- “under the negative. Ran the wire in a sleeve to the front. It fits so well that it won’t move at all while plugging the charger in. No glue necessary.
      Battery cover is on.

Does yours look much different under the hood?
      I got the extension from ctek and mounted the plus under the positive charging post then the “- “under the negative. Ran the wire in a sleeve to the front. It fits so well that it won’t move at all while plugging the charger in. No glue necessary.
      Battery cover is on.

Yes, it does appear different. My battery cover is in two pieces. Front is in before the weather stripping the rear cover is behind. Great you were able to do it without glue. Since you always keep the battery cover on are there any crimping issues with the wires? When attached my covers are pretty tight.

Stop/start finally works

I know I had to cut some of the positive plastic/rubber shield off so the cover fit better. Not too much tho.
      Last edited by rkohou; 10-18-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Due to reading this thread and recent personal experience, I now have a CTEK MXS 5.0 Charger. I've had my 2020 V60 CC since July (loving it so far) and noticed that, due to less driving and many short trips under COVID, the Start/Stop function was no longer functioning. After a 3-hour round trip, it started to work again. After researching the many reasons for Start/Stop to not work - and reading this thread, I decided to buy a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger. I installed the eyelet wiring pigtail to the charging points under the hood and charged both the starter and support batteries overnight. It's now been three days and start/stop continues to function properly. I'll continue to watch to determine a good recharging interval.

In addition to maintaining the start/stop function, I also bought the CTEK because:

• Under non-COVID conditions, we annually take 4-6 week vacations. Leaving the car that long without charging the batteries doesn't seem to be a good idea.
      • Losing Start/Stop functionality is, to me, is an indication that the starter battery is charged to less than 80% of capacity. Keeping the battery more fully charged also seems like a good idea for battery health and longevity.

So far, I'm very impressed with the CTEK MXS 5.0.
      Last edited by lflorack; Yesterday at 02:55 PM.
      2020 V60 Cross Country T5 - Birch Light Metallic/Charcoal
      Advanced Package |Cross Country Pro Package
      Heated Steering Wheel/Rear Seat Package
      | Bowers & Wilkins

I'm not familiar with the V90 under the hood
      If that is your level of knowledge, I'd suggest you let a professional deal with anything to do with the battery. You can easily set the car on fire.

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4