'12 S60 T4 - idle rattle & disappearing cooling fluid
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

'12 S60 T4 - idle rattle & disappearing cooling fluid

Hi All! New member and pleased new owner of a Volvo.

I purchased a 2012 S60 T4 (135k km's) recently. Long story short, it's been losing cooling fluid ever since I purchased it and there is a audible metal rattle sound at startup idling (it usually disappears after a while, but I may just not be hearing it).

Here's a link to my Google Drive with a 10 second video of the sound - pardon the rapid cam movements please, tried to trace the sound & keep it short:
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kS...y9NYaxHgr4u4o0

Can anyone advise on this issue please? I've read that it could be a water pump issue, but it sounds like a metal plate coming from near the right side of the spark plug bay. It's very audible underneath the engine too, but I cannot isolate the sound location from underneath the vehicle.
      I've checked every plug I could find as well as every fluid pipe, but nothing seemed loose or to be leaking. I did notice some white residue near a small pipe coming out the top corner of the radiator on the water reservoir side of the engine, but it wasn't wet around the region after several tests. I noticed no fluid leaks inside the engine bay area and also no fluid drips below the vehicle that I can spot.
      Last edited by slitza; 03-05-2020 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added video link

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The radiator began to leak in my 2005 S60 at 105,000 miles. Part of the radiator is plastic, and it can breakdown and develop a split due to age. You might check around the radiator for sign of leaking coolant. You might also have a leak at one of the hose connections. If there is no sign of leak under the hood, then it could be that coolant is getting into the combustion chamber, and going out the tailpipe with the exhaust. That points to a bad cylinder head gasket as the likely cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Johnson View Post
      The radiator began to leak in my 2005 S60 at 105,000 miles. Part of the radiator is plastic, and it can breakdown and develop a split due to age. You might check around the radiator for sign of leaking coolant. You might also have a leak at one of the hose connections. If there is no sign of leak under the hood, then it could be that coolant is getting into the combustion chamber, and going out the tailpipe with the exhaust. That points to a bad cylinder head gasket as the likely cause.
      Hi Eric, thank you for the suggestion. I'll double check around the radiator again and below it after some driving.
      I had a 2013 Ford Figo prior which had a head gasket go because water was escaping into the combustion chamber and into the spark plug well - not good! I'll check the spark wells for water.
      Do you perhaps have more suggestions how I can test for a head gasket going bad?

I listened to the audio/video you have posted, and I must say I have never heard an engine make a noise like that. It is not a bearing noise, but rather it sounds like something came loose in there. If the head gasket is bad, you will eventually end up with water in the oil sump. Not a lot, but enough to make the oil look strange, sort of like a brown milkshake. If this was my car, I would take it in for service, or park it and work on the engine myself. The engine noise sounds like something in the top end.

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements