SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

S60 Starting Problems

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  LarryM 
#1 ·
Good Morning All!
Need some advice on a starting issue with our 2013 T5 S60. The wife parked the vehicle yesterday and when she got back in to start it the engine wouldn't turn over.

Brought the battery in to the parts dealer and they checked it and its fine. I also tried jumping it off of my truck and nothing.

Next I pulled the starter and had it checked. Its spinning freely. I looked at the flywheel and can see where the starter has been hitting the flywheel and there are fresh marks where its been hitting it in the same spot repeatedly but not spinning the flywheel. So the starter is engaging but for some reason not turning the flywheel. For the record (hate to sound like a parts changer) I also bought a new starter and tried that but it didn't change things.

So i at this point I'm at a loss. Maybe a grounding issue? Possibly electronic? I don't know if there is something that tells the engine to allow the flywheel to spin that I need to check. Hoping its not internal mechanics.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
This.

Do you hear anything when trying to start? If there's plenty of oil in the crankcase it's doubtful the motor is ceased. A ceased motor will smoke something in the starter circuit for sure. There is a fuse link inline to the starter motor. It's possible this has opened either due to a ceased motor or due to fatigue. I seem to remember an issue with these on some models. If the flywheel moves check this fuselink cable.

#3 ·
Elvspcec, based on your description it would appear that the starters/battery are trying to do their job, but the flywheel is not co-operating. Have you tried to put the tranny into neutral and possibly spinning the flywheel by hand to ensure it can move freely? There is oil in the crankcase? You haven't driven through deep standing water? I'm thinking there may be possible seizure of the engine.

#4 ·
Thanks. Your description is exactly the case. I haven't tried putting the vehicle in neutral to see if the flywheel will spin. Couldn't figure that one out but I'll try it now. Plenty of oil in the crankcase and haven't driven through any deep water.

My first inclination was a seized engine but the vehicle doesn't even have 90,000 miles on it and has been well maintained. Haven't heard anything unusual from the engine either, at least according to the wife. Maybe I'm just hoping it's not mechanical.

Looking at the flywheel tomorrow and I'll post an update. Thanks!!

#7 ·
There are two circuits to the starter motor. Presumably one for the solenoid that ejects the gear to engage the flywheel and the other supplies the massive current needed to spin the starter motor and flywheel. Check the high current cable for open fuse link.

#8 ·
Problem solved thanks to you my friend! Can't thank you enough. The problem was the fusible link from the battery positive. Was difficult to troubleshoot cause it was still letting some current through which is why the starter was still engaging but wasn't getting full amperage. Even got a discount from the dealer on the part. Thanks again for the advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.