SO... When do I pay for my car???
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

SO... When do I pay for my car???

I'm looking for someone with previous OSD experience to help me out... when is my payment due?
      I have put down the $3000 deposit and am well on my way planning my trip. I'm certain that my OSD paperwork said final payment was due 30 days prior to delivery, which would be March 23rd, but when I talked to my dealer, he said that they don't expect payment of any kind until I take possession of the car here in the US. I want to believe that, but I'm worried that I'll get to Sweden and not be allowed to get my car because it isn't paid for. Does anyone else have experience with this? I'm planning on paying for my car in full, so I'm not worried about financing.

Also, where do you find out how much you owe...? A final price for my car is nowhere in my OSD paperwork, and I've never gotten an invoice or statement from Volvo or my dealer. Is this usual? Is there somewhere that I can look this up?
      I hate to seem like a worry-wart, but with our trip less than 60 days away, I want to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row!
      2020 XC90 Momentum T5 (OSD April 2020 - Delayed May 2021)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You do have to pay before picking the car up. We had a complicated purchase (moved states after ordering the car, ordering from a dealer across the country, etc.), but it all got sorted out about a week before we left for our trip. I would follow up again with your dealer and perhaps reach out to Volvo North America if the dealer still says not to pay yet.

The Volvo OSD Order form that you signed and received at the dealer should show you the Grand Total, Deposit Paid and the Balance Due. The form also states that the outstanding balance is due 30 days prior to travel. So I'm expecting to pay my outstanding balance to the dealer next week for our April OSD. When we did our first OSD a few years ago, I brought all the receipts from the dealer that showed that the balance was paid when I picked up the car at the FDC. Although, I assumed the FDC already knew that the vehicle was paid in full. Not sure if the process has recently changed, but if you are in doubt, you may want to call Barbara at OSD Customer Service and verify the process. She should be able to sort it out with your local dealer if there is any confusion.
      Dec 2016 OSD: 2017 XC90 T6 Inscription | Magic Blue | Amber | Vision | Conv | B&W | 21" Wheels | HUD | Polestar
      Was Apr, now Sept 2020 OSD (pending): 2020 XC40 T5 Momentum | Ice White | Charcoal Textile | Advanced | Multimedia | Premium

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by maxchi View Post
      The Volvo OSD Order form that you signed and received at the dealer should show you the Grand Total, Deposit Paid and the Balance Due. The form also states that the outstanding balance is due 30 days prior to travel. So I'm expecting to pay my outstanding balance to the dealer next week for our April OSD. When we did our first OSD a few years ago, I brought all the receipts from the dealer that showed that the balance was paid when I picked up the car at the FDC. Although, I assumed the FDC already knew that the vehicle was paid in full. Not sure if the process has recently changed, but if you are in doubt, you may want to call Barbara at OSD Customer Service and verify the process. She should be able to sort it out with your local dealer if there is any confusion.
      Thank you! I appreciate both responses to my question. I actually never signed anything at the dealership. I just dropped off my deposit and signed all the paperwork online, but although that paperwork has a breakdown of my order, there is no "grand total" or "balance due" shown. I didn't want to have to go around my dealer, but I might contact Volvo directly to get this cleared up. I'm so excited for our trip, and I hate to have this hanging over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Manthie View Post
      Thank you! I appreciate both responses to my question. I actually never signed anything at the dealership. I just dropped off my deposit and signed all the paperwork online, but although that paperwork has a breakdown of my order, there is no "grand total" or "balance due" shown. I didn't want to have to go around my dealer, but I might contact Volvo directly to get this cleared up. I'm so excited for our trip, and I hate to have this hanging over my head.
      Trust me, your delear will call you when they want the money. As noted above usually no later than 30 days. You can pay sooner but they will want the entire balance at or around 30 days. Volvo will give you all kinds of paperwork at the factory and one document is the price summary for everything. If you do your own registration the DMV will want to see that document for sales tax collection (if your state works that way) and the DMV will take the MSO to create your title. If the dealer registers your car they will use those two documents as well in the process.

Its all very easy and you will be amazed by the whole experience.....

Don't forgt to price out any accessories you may want prior to your visit. Some accessories your can buy are much more expensive at the factory than what you can buy them for here, even with positive exchange rates.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

It sounds as though you may be working with a salesperson of limited OSD experience. As I've said before, an OSD order is not something to be left in the hands of a rookie.
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

Bottom line - until Volvo gives you a "VIN" - no payment possible!
      Future: 2021 V90 CC (OSD)
      Current: 2017 Subaru Outback Touring
      Previous: 2005 Volvo V70R
      1971 Triumph Tiger 650 (OSD)

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
      Bottom line - until Volvo gives you a "VIN" - no payment possible!
      That's a bit of good news, as I definitely don't have that yet! I'm not super worried since I do have the money saved up and ready. I'm a bit of a control freak, so I just want to have as much planned out as possible!

my dealer is very experienced in OSD. They were not super worried on the 30 days prior to pickup. I may have paid 20+ days ahead. They may have just been floating the cash I don't know. Like you I was pretty focused on 30 days. They were a bit more "relaxed"
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

As usual, Barbara with OSD has come to the rescue! She was able to give me a definite response and even looked up the total cost of my car for me:

"Your final payment is due 30 days before you take delivery in Sweden on 4/23/20. Your dealer will be able to provide you with an invoice with the full price of your vehicle at that time. Your retailer should have provided you with the price breakdown of your vehicle when you placed your order.
      The only information I can see is that your vehicle cost is $48,173 and you gave a $3,000 down payment. Your final invoice from the dealership will include taxes and finance fees."

Quote Originally Posted by maxchi View Post
      The Volvo OSD Order form that you signed and received at the dealer should show you the Grand Total, Deposit Paid and the Balance Due. The form also states that the outstanding balance is due 30 days prior to travel. So I'm expecting to pay my outstanding balance to the dealer next week for our April OSD.
      This is correct. Although I was told to bring a receipt from the dealer showing that I had made full payment, nobody at the FDC asked to see it.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

...although that paperwork has a breakdown of my order, there is no "grand total" or "balance due" shown.
      It's good that you got the grand total from Barbara but not good at all your dealer didn't provide the grand total. I'm seeing warning flags here - especially regarding not knowing that required payment 30 days before OSD pickup - and hope I'm wrong. I'd recommend getting that grand total somewhere on paper from your dealer sooner rather than later lest the dealer start playing games with you later.
      I sincerely hope you're not dealing with an OSD rookie so please keep your eyes open and feed your questions to us Swedespeeders! Good luck
      Last edited by likeXC90; 03-04-2020 at 07:27 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

My dealer was also not in a hurry to get my money. My salesman was on vacation and said we could do it when he gets back. Which was a week before I left. Not wanting to wait I finalized everything about 2 weeks before I left. It actually took almost a week to complete all the paperwork.
      Bottom line is it all worked out great.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      It's good that you got the grand total from Barbara but not good at all your dealer didn't provide the grand total. I'm seeing warning flags here - especially regarding not knowing that required payment 30 days before OSD pickup - and hope I'm wrong. I'd recommend getting that grand total somewhere on paper from your dealer sooner rather than later lest the dealer start playing games with you later.
      I sincerely hope you're not dealing with an OSD rookie so please keep your eyes open and feed your questions to us Swedespeeders! Good luck
      Honestly, I had a lot of confidence in them at first, but the more things come up, the more I'm thinking that my dealer is pretty inexperienced with OSD. Luckily, I have gotten great responses from everyone here! Between y'all and Barbara, I feel like I can get a handle on everything I need to know, so I really have to thank everyone who posts here. I was lurking around here and reading posts for several months before I placed my order, and even with a few hiccups, I really feel like OSD was the right choice for me.

Even though my dealer told me not to worry about it until the car arrives in the US (and I can't even believe they think that's okay), I'm going to go up there later this month and just pay them now. They honestly shouldn't be upset that I want to give them money LOL. But I'll feel better having a receipt and confirmation of payment even if FDC never needs to see it.

so I really have to thank everyone who posts here. I was lurking around here and reading posts for several months before I placed my order
      It's clear you did your homework (ie using the search function) before posting and I think more are happy to help you because of that!
      Even though my dealer told me not to worry about it until the car arrives in the US (and I can't even believe they think that's okay), I'm going to go up there later this month and just pay them now. They honestly shouldn't be upset that I want to give them money LOL. But I'll feel better having a receipt and confirmation of payment even if FDC never needs to see it.
      What the yell is this dealer smokin'?! But seriously, I've never read anyone posting that this was ok. I think you're doing the right thing paying well before you go. If I remember correctly the FDC said something to me along the lines of "you made the 1st payment already" while we were signing the paperwork. Better safe paying ahead than sorry!
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

It's clear you did your homework (ie using the search function) before posting and I think more are happy to help you because of that!
      What the yell is this dealer smokin'?! But seriously, I've never read anyone posting that this was ok. I think you're doing the right thing paying well before you go. If I remember correctly the FDC said something to me along the lines of "you made the 1st payment already" while we were signing the paperwork. Better safe paying ahead than sorry!
      My understanding is the dealership pays for the vehicle prior to European delivery, regardless of when the purchaser pays for the vehicle. Then again, I'm not saying you were incorrect to pay prior to leaving on your trip! I sure would not want any surprises in Gothenburg!!!
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

LOL, so just a little update, I obviously am not going on my OSD trip next week, and I've gone ahead and requested direct delivery as soon as my car is ready. It's a huge disappointment because now we're having to postpone the trip until May of next year, but there's not much we can do about it. Barbara was again super helpful, and even put me on a list to get the Swedish license plates that my car would have had sent over. It's a little thing, but it makes me happy knowing that I'll still get a special souvenir. She also informed me that now it really is up to my dealer on when I pay for my vehicle. When I saw that the Volvo Factory had closed in March, I figured there was no hurry paying just yet. So I'll call my dealer and make sure that they are still okay with me paying when I pick up my car with them.

It's been such a roller coaster, but I really appreciate all the help and replies I've gotten here!

LOL, so just a little update, I obviously am not going on my OSD trip next week, and I've gone ahead and requested direct delivery as soon as my car is ready. It's a huge disappointment because now we're having to postpone the trip until May of next year, but there's not much we can do about it. Barbara was again super helpful, and even put me on a list to get the Swedish license plates that my car would have had sent over. It's a little thing, but it makes me happy knowing that I'll still get a special souvenir. She also informed me that now it really is up to my dealer on when I pay for my vehicle. When I saw that the Volvo Factory had closed in March, I figured there was no hurry paying just yet. So I'll call my dealer and make sure that they are still okay with me paying when I pick up my car with them.

It's been such a roller coaster, but I really appreciate all the help and replies I've gotten here!
      Can't imagine the disappointment you are experiencing...these are certainly strange times. *But you get a new car soon and you get a "free" trip next year! *My neighbor is in the same situation. Their car is not due for another couple of months but they are already planning their trip for next year to tour Sweden and Norway (perhaps in a Volvo loaner). *They are trying to work that part out with Volvo as we speak. Enjoy you OSD car when it arrives!
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

Your wait will make that OSD trip next year all the sweeter!
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

Quote Originally Posted by GregK View Post
      Your wait will make that OSD trip next year all the sweeter!
      It certainly will! Only drawback - and it's so unfortunate - no new Volvo to drive around in!

Only drawback - and it's so unfortunate - no new Volvo to drive around in!
      I think not driving your new Volvo on OSD and using a loaner might actually be better in this situation:
      1. You get your new car sooner than waiting for it after OSD
      2. You don't have to worry about potentially damaging your new car from potholes, rock scratches, etc, so no babying and no worrying (like I do now)
      3. No OSD miles on your new car
      If Volvo offered this kind of OSD option I would have definitely taken it.
      Last edited by likeXC90; 04-19-2020 at 09:26 AM.

It certainly will! Only drawback - and it's so unfortunate - no new Volvo to drive around in!
      Good point! I asked at the delivery center how many customers actually drove their new vehicle out and about, versus taking them out for a day and returning them. The answer was roughly 50/50. We were in the group that chose to use planes/trains/buses/trams/boats, etc. to visit the various country's and sights.....

You will still have a great trip, and don't miss the FDC luncheon and tour!!!

Quote Originally Posted by comp1 View Post
      Can't imagine the disappointment you are experiencing...these are certainly strange times. *But you get a new car soon and you get a "free" trip next year! *My neighbor is in the same situation. Their car is not due for another couple of months but they are already planning their trip for next year to tour Sweden and Norway (perhaps in a Volvo loaner). *They are trying to work that part out with Volvo as we speak. Enjoy you OSD car when it arrives!
      Let us know if the loaner next year becomes reality. I have heard that they are not providing one for next year. My car has been built, our trip is scheduled for June and we have the tickets (90% chance we'll have to reschedule, we'll make the decision in a week or two) although we have until September 20th to pick the car up in Sweden. Otherwise, we get it delivered and take the trip next year.

I'd consider it a huge "win" if we were to get a loaner next year. We'd have the same trip, and save miles and wear and tear on our car.

If not, a disappointment. Road-tripping through spectacular countryside in a comfortable fun-to-drive car with an amazing sound system was a huge reason to do OSD. I'd have waited a year (and gotten a 2021 model) to get the car had I known this would happen. We're still going to end up with a great car and a great trip, but it won't be the same.
      Future: 2020 V60 CC Birch Light with Advanced Package and Bowers and Wilkins (OSD summer 2020)
      Current: Subaru Outback 2015, Limited

Quote Originally Posted by ap17 View Post
      Let us know if the loaner next year becomes reality. I have heard that they are not providing one for next year. My car has been built, our trip is scheduled for June and we have the tickets (90% chance we'll have to reschedule, we'll make the decision in a week or two) although we have until September 20th to pick the car up in Sweden. Otherwise, we get it delivered and take the trip next year.

I'd consider it a huge "win" if we were to get a loaner next year. We'd have the same trip, and save miles and wear and tear on our car.

If not, a disappointment. Road-tripping through spectacular countryside in a comfortable fun-to-drive car with an amazing sound system was a huge reason to do OSD. I'd have waited a year (and gotten a 2021 model) to get the car had I known this would happen. We're still going to end up with a great car and a great trip, but it won't be the same.
      Completely agree with you. I am exactly in the same situation however I have pushed my dates to late July from early June and see if we would be able to execute our original travel plan. If not it would be sometime within next one year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ap17 - I'm going to chime in with a little more optimism. The Volvo factory re-opens tomorrow and there will be approximately two months of health improvement before you arrive in Gothenburg. The Swedes have never hunkered down to my knowledge and if anywhere clears up quickly it will be there. Your timing might just be more of a blessing as things still won't have returned to normal 100% and the roads/attractions might be a little less crowded.

At least in your case your car is built and awaiting your arrival. My pick-up date is July 13 and the car hasn't even been built. My trip might be pushed out into the future because there is no car!

On another note Volvo has already publicly stated that no loaner cars will be provided. The FDC handles approximately 25 clients a week - can you imagine a loaner car business of that magnitude? I think in the past a loaner car has only been provided if you arrive in Gothenburg and your new car is not ready! But these are very different times - so who really knows!

As you've been doing keep us up-to-date on your trip/decisions!

Re subject: we just paid first round of Volvo credit ( yes, we financed).

Car is built and expecting it be shipped in next few days. There is a confusion on which rote/vessel it will be shipped - hope to get it sorted this week, so I can track it.

Since we are both in high risk group due to age & immunocompromised, we pushed on the trip schedule; we think that either we will find that we are already carrying antibodies, or there is a vaccine available. Otherwise we may just skip the trip part. The fact that Volvo will not provide rental - oh well, we will rent something to do the trip somehow. Worst case our kids will have less inheritance.. :-).

Let's get the cars, then we will worry how to arrange the trip - or when to buy next Volvo.

/kleks

ap17 - I'm going to chime in with a little more optimism. The Volvo factory re-opens tomorrow and there will be approximately two months of health improvement before you arrive in Gothenburg. The Swedes have never hunkered down to my knowledge and if anywhere clears up quickly it will be there. Your timing might just be more of a blessing as things still won't have returned to normal 100% and the roads/attractions might be a little less crowded.

At least in your case your car is built and awaiting your arrival. My pick-up date is July 13 and the car hasn't even been built. My trip might be pushed out into the future because there is no car!

On another note Volvo has already publicly stated that no loaner cars will be provided. The FDC handles approximately 25 clients a week - can you imagine a loaner car business of that magnitude? I think in the past a loaner car has only been provided if you arrive in Gothenburg and your new car is not ready! But these are very different times - so who really knows!

As you've been doing keep us up-to-date on your trip/decisions!
      I'm worried not only about the Swedes but also about my wife, who has a chronic lung condition. The plane ride would be risky; we're leaving form New York which is ground zero for this. My hope is that antibody testing becomes widely available and it turns out we got it but weren't symptomatic (we both work in hospitals), or if we get it it will be a mild form and we end being okay. Then we'll be clear and good to go. Or if some treatment is discovered that removes the risk of catastrophic consequences.

I'm probably going to reschedule for August 15th - 30th (we have this window) and hope that everything will be okay.

I will definitely let you know about any updates!
      Future: 2020 V60 CC Birch Light with Advanced Package and Bowers and Wilkins (OSD summer 2020)
      Current: Subaru Outback 2015, Limited

SAS, one of the airlines handling OSD flights is 90% down on staff:

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL8N2B80YF

Not sure what other airlines OSD uses to fly into Gothenburg.

Train from Stockholm.

Volvo was using other airlines which are part of Star Alliance (United, Lufthansa etc ).

That certainly will change how the OSD operates.

/kleks

Quote Originally Posted by Kleks View Post
      Train from Stockholm.

Volvo was using other airlines which are part of Star Alliance (United, Lufthansa etc ).

That certainly will change how the OSD operates.

/kleks
      United, Lufthansa, British Airways all severely cut schedule and staff recently (links below), so SAS isn't alone here, and projections aren't favorable for at least the rest of this year - these are their own words. The question is: is there any airline who hasn't cut for the foreseeable future?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw....rce/a-52990805

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...uts/index.html
      Last edited by likeXC90; 04-19-2020 at 07:29 PM.

United, Lufthansa, British Airways all severely cut schedule and staff recently (links below), so SAS isn't alone here, and projections aren't favorable for at least the rest of this year - these are their own words. The question is: is there any airline who hasn't cut for the foreseeable future?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw....rce/a-52990805

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...uts/index.html
      Yep. That is why we decided to get the car here, and wait and see when it is possible to fly safely to EU. To add insult to injury - we were planning to bring back from EU some things left there during previous trips, including two bicycles, etc etc - SAS was best airline to travel with bikes on. Now we do not know when we will be able to fly and finish the open issues there. Certainly we will not fly facing 14 days quarantine on every border.

/kleks

Regarding when to pay for your car:

In an April 24th email Volvo confirmed our 2020XC60 will be shipped to our dealer on the next available vessel. We have 12 months to take our OSD trip. In a followup call Barbara mentioned there were 2 vessels available in May and the payment was due when the car was loaded. Also requested the tourist plates.
      Current Rides:
      2020 XC60 OSD Direct Shipment. Pending arrival at dealer
      2018 V60CC T5 OSD, Mussel Blue, My Wheels
      2014 XC60, Black CPO. Daughter's Car.

Previous Rides:
      2016 XC60 AWD T6, OSD, Flamenco Red Metallic. Wife's Car.
      2014 XC70, OSD, Seashell Metallic. My Wheels.
      2010 XC60 OSD, Orinoco Blue Metallic. Wife's Car
      2007 S40T5, Black, CPO. Daughter's Car

35. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements