What dash cam do you use?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

What dash cam do you use?

I used Owl cam but it got purchased and it donít work anymore (cellular live cam).

So what dash cam do you use? Itís so har to find out whatís the best hands down on the market as I think as ďfake marketingĒ is taking over in this space. No way a 1040P cam is the best on the market in 2020 when in 2018 we had 4K...
      2020 V60 CC

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blackvue is still generally considered the best for 2channel recording, I know quite a few people with them very very happy. They have a dual 4K system as well
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      Blackvue is still generally considered the best for 2channel recording, I know quite a few people with them very very happy. They have a dual 4K system as well
      Thatís what I would consider best on the market but heard some bad issues with overheating did you hear anything on that?
      2020 V60 CC

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thinkware F770. I have 2 of them in my cars. They are about 3+yrs old. No issues at all. Did extensive comparison between the Thinkware F770 and the Blackvue 650. Chose to go with the Thinkware for several reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by v60ccfusionred View Post
      Thinkware F770. I have 2 of them in my cars. They are about 3+yrs old. No issues at all. Did extensive comparison between the Thinkware F770 and the Blackvue 650. Chose to go with the Thinkware for several reasons.
      Can you elaborate the reasons ? Currently looking at which brand to go with - especially since I am in Fl, so heat is omnipresent here.

/kleks

I use a Street Guardian two-channel setup in my V90CC. One of the best dual Full-HD setups out there!

https://streetguardian.cam/product/sg9663dcpro
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

I use a VAVA dash cam up front. I like the design and doesn't look so obvious. No screen but it's not needed as the app on phone has all information needed. I also like the magnetic mount which allows you to easily move it if needed.

In the rear I have a Yi dash cam that was like $30 bucks from my previous vehicle. I have it up and to the left so I don't see it from my rear view mirror. That one is a bit larger with a screen but that's why I threw it in the back. I have a longer USB cable going behind the seat and to the trunk 12v socket.
      2019 S60 - R-Design - T6 - Polestar - B&W - Black Stone

Quote Originally Posted by v60ccfusionred View Post
      Also interested why this is better then blackvue
      2020 V60 CC

BTW, Thinkware Q800PRO dual setup is right now for $299 on Amazon.
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is not the first time Honey alarms me of decent deals.

/kleks

I have a Thinkware F800 pro. Bought it about a year ago (Feb 2019) and at the time I used sites like BlackBoxMyCar and Youtube to compare video quality of the Thinkware and Blackvue dashcam. Between the two there were subtle differences so either would have been a good choice, however one thing I did notice at the time is the 4K camera had worse image performance at night. My main reason for getting a dash cam was because someone hit and ran me in a parking garage so I wanted the best night performance I could. This eliminated the 4K camera and left me with the F800pro and the equivalent Blackvue from early 2019. Forget why I decided on the Thinware but either would have been fine.

One thing I will note is that when you buy one and install it, use a fuse tap. I tried to hardwire into the back of my C30 radio and the camera didn't work even after probing with a multimeter and being sure I would have 12V. So use a fuse tap and be done with it, hard wiring is not hard if you know how to use a multimeter meter. Keep in mind though that when hardwired, with the Thinkware battery protection, I get about 36 hours of run time, so if I park my car at the airport again and leave for 4 days, I'm really only safe the first 36 hours. I've been looking at a way around this but likely I'll need to wire a few battery packs in parallel or set the camera to only record impacts.
      2019 XC40 T4 FWD, Momentum with Premium and Vision Package - Hers
      2013 C30 Polestar #141/250, Mototech exhaust, Volvo Skid Plate, RacingBeat RSB, - His
      1997 Volvo 850 N/A with 240k, 1 owner, SOLD 2017
      2000 C70 Convertible 5sp HPT, SOLD 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      I used Owl cam but it got purchased and it don’t work anymore (cellular live cam).

So what dash cam do you use? It’s so har to find out what’s the best hands down on the market as I think as “fake marketing” is taking over in this space. No way a 1040P cam is the best on the market in 2020 when in 2018 we had 4K...
      Viofo A129 Duo. It has some limitations like a dupe frame every 90 frame and an occasional dropped frame. However, the camera is very reliable and already paid itself off 100 fold by capturing my vehicle being rear ended.

I recommend any camera setup you deploy include a hardwired parking mode and a front and rear camera.

Viofo has the true 4k A129 pro with 1080p rear. 4k offers better daytime image, but due to smaller pixel size, less clear night. Same issue going from 720p to 1080 and 1080 to 4k. As image quality increases, night will take some hit.

FYI, lots of lowend cameras offering upscaled 4k. So look carefully.

Also check street guardian. They are a very consumer based and offer comprehensive customer support. Viofo lacks the customer support. Only real negative.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 03-05-2020 at 11:17 AM.

I'm running a Ventrue N2 Pro cam hardwired to the fuse box. It works really well

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

So basically everyone is using something different :-P Sure clears up the picture!
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

So basically everyone is using something different 😛 Sure clears up the picture!
      Ultimately it's a matter of preference and what features you want. And if you want just the front camera or a front and rear camera.

Your question is analogous to asking a 1000 people What kind of car they drive and why. You're going to get a bunch of different answers
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 03-05-2020 at 01:43 PM.

So basically everyone is using something different :-P Sure clears up the picture!
      Main takeaway, just get something, preferably for the front and rear that is hardwired. Don't be like me and wait till you get hit before you get one.

Also top of the line is Thinkware, Blackvue and a couple others already mentioned.
      2013 C30 Polestar #141/250, Mototech exhaust, Volvo Skid Plate, RacingBeat RSB, - His

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Ultimately it's a matter of preference and what features you want. And if you want just the front camera or a front and rear camera.

Your question is analogous to asking a 1000 people What kind of car they drive and why. You're going to get a bunch of different answers
      I donít necessarily agree with the analogy.

I think itís like asking what digital camera you use but with a much smaller market.

Also from what I found every premium camera has an option for the second channel so thatís also not a point of debate.

I think the problem is that they are all Chinese products and all the same really same Sony chip same external SD card so really do you like a round design or tube is the only choice.

Iím looking for 4K front camera with optional 1040p for rear with cellular app but nothing on the market that I cant find.
      2020 V60 CC

Thanks, everyone, for your responses; I’ve been thinking about getting one as well. A question for you all: how obstructive are they? The sensors in front of the rear view mirror already take up so much room, I’m not sure how to also fit a camera there without losing visibility. If someone has time, could you share a pic of what your setup looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post

I don’t necessarily agree with the analogy.

I think it’s like asking what digital camera you use but with a much smaller market.

Also from what I found every premium camera has an option for the second channel so that’s also not a point of debate.

I think the problem is that they are all Chinese products and all the same really same Sony chip same external SD card so really do you like a round design or tube is the only choice.

I’m looking for 4K front camera with optional 1040p for rear with cellular app but nothing on the market that I cant find.
      Viofo a129 pro offers 4k front 1080 rear. Stores to sd card. No cloud so app allows you to view videos from phone by turning on cam wifi. Its an artificial wifi as you have to be with proximity of car to view videos and offers mot net connectivity. I.E. you cant review videos remotely from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by Benalucs View Post
      Thanks, everyone, for your responses; I’ve been thinking about getting one as well. A question for you all: how obstructive are they? The sensors in front of the rear view mirror already take up so much room, I’m not sure how to also fit a camera there without losing visibility. If someone has time, could you share a pic of what your setup looks like?
      Depends on camera and you choice of placement. Some people opt to attach camera to platic housing under mirror instead of on front windshield. Rear cameras are pretty tiny and arent obstructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleks View Post
      Can you elaborate the reasons ? Currently looking at which brand to go with - especially since I am in Fl, so heat is omnipresent here.

/kleks
      Deciding factors for me were based on scouring the internet for reviews and watching many youtube videos on picture quality, ease of use etc. They were both very comparable in their specs and price points. However, if I recall correctly, the Thinkware at the time edged out the Blackvue in night time picture quality - the glare was less. I also liked the form factor - it sat very close to the windshield and looked almost like a factory fitted device along with all the other cameras and sensors behind the rearview mirror. The Blackvue on the other hand was a cylindrical shape with the lens positioned farther away from the windshield.

It's been almost 4 years since I purchased my units - so the dashcam landscape has probably changed a lot since then with many high end models available now. I am still very happy with the F770 units though - No issues, great picture quality and quite indiscreet.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses; Iíve been thinking about getting one as well. A question for you all: how obstructive are they? The sensors in front of the rear view mirror already take up so much room, Iím not sure how to also fit a camera there without losing visibility. If someone has time, could you share a pic of what your setup looks like?
      Not obstructive at all in my opinion as long as you do not get one with a screen on it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ky9xz42UvjjsQFya6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GofgGjjfL4yg1fuJ6

Thought this one looks pretty good, not sure the video quality though...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32441815190.html

Has anyone used one of these Vantrue S1 units? I feel like this is a crap shoot and reviews are all over the place for this type of products, might just bite the bullet and get something.

https://www.amazon.com/Vantrue-Capac...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Thanks, everyone, for your responses; Iíve been thinking about getting one as well. A question for you all: how obstructive are they? The sensors in front of the rear view mirror already take up so much room, Iím not sure how to also fit a camera there without losing visibility. If someone has time, could you share a pic of what your setup looks like?
      I have a C30 so I don't have a large sensor near the rear view mirror but this should give you an idea of how much room they take up. The rear one is tiny so that definitely is not intrusive, but the front one is about the size of a bar of soap so maybe installing it on the other side of the sensor (passenger side) could be an option if you find it too intrusive underneath the sensor.

From the outside

Front camera inside

Rear camera from the inside

Rear camera from the rear view mirror

I have a C30 so I don't have a large sensor near the rear view mirror but this should give you an idea of how much room they take up. The rear one is tiny so that definitely is not intrusive, but the front one is about the size of a bar of soap so maybe installing it on the other side of the sensor (passenger side) could be an option if you find it too intrusive underneath the sensor.

From the outside

Front camera inside

Rear camera from the inside

Rear camera from the rear view mirror

Quote Originally Posted by rocketscience55 View Post
      Your camera appears to be installed improperly FYI.

1. I can't see your interior install, but be sure the wires aren't simply tucked into headliner. You need to remove the A and C pillars and actually run the cable behind the airbag. Simply tucking them along headliner could obstruct airbag deployment. Run wires along the clips where the airbag sits, after running behind them (neatness)
      2. It looks like your install on the rear camera is incorrect. Does the plastic piece come off? If so see my image. The wire should be run along the path and then into the sheething (Circled) and then terminate out the other sheeting and into the vehicle. This is the proper way to install on a CUV / SUV

Camera.jpg
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 03-09-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Your camera appears to be installed improperly FYI.

1. I can't see your interior install, but be sure the wires aren't simply tucked into headliner. You need to remove the A and B pillars and actually run the cable behind the airbag. Simply tucking them along headliner could obstruct airbag deployment. Run wires along the clips where the airbag sits, after running behind them (neatness)
      2. It looks like your install on the rear camera is incorrect. Does the plastic piece come off? If so see my image. The wire should be run along the path and then into the sheething (Circled) and then terminate out the other sheeting and into the vehicle. This is the proper way to install on a CUV / SUV

Camera.jpg
      So i avoided the A pillar, when I took that off I could see what looked to be an airbag. Now that you mention this though and I look at some crash videos I think this was probably the air canister for the airbag?? Not sure but luckily around the A and B pillar I ran the wire inside of the weather stripping. Around the C pillar though I'll go back and likely need to reroute or at least secure the wire.

Also the C30 rear glass is a bit weird. I was not able to split the plastic piece from the glass. I believe it is bonded to the actual glass so I had to split the rubber insulation to get the cable out. Also, you can't just buy a new rear window, it comes as a whole assembly which makes the normal CUV/SUV install not possible. I wasn't super happy about this since now water can get in there but I taped around the opening a lot and haven't seen any water accumulating around the area.

So i avoided the A pillar, when I took that off I could see what looked to be an airbag. Now that you mention this though and I look at some crash videos I think this was probably the air canister for the airbag?? Not sure but luckily around the A and B pillar I ran the wire inside of the weather stripping. Around the C pillar though I'll go back and likely need to reroute or at least secure the wire.
      That's 100% improper and you are obstructing the side airbag deployment. The curtain comes down and running the wire under the weather

Also the C30 rear glass is a bit weird. I was not able to split the plastic piece from the glass. I believe it is bonded to the actual glass so I had to split the rubber insulation to get the cable out. Also, you can't just buy a new rear window, it comes as a whole assembly which makes the normal CUV/SUV install not possible. I wasn't super happy about this since now water can get in there but I taped around the opening a lot and haven't seen any water accumulating around the area.
      There should be a way to run the cable along the lip of the window, and into the actual sheathing containing the wires, to then terminate it into your vehicle. Go to 9 Minutes 42 Seconds and watch how this guy does it.[/quote]

Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 03-09-2020 at 02:25 PM.

After reading your comment and thinking about it I realized I definitely did this wrong the first time. Not sure how I missed the airbag but I did. I'll think you'll like this fix compared to the old way.

Previous routing, going towards the outside of the car

New routing

Also I watched that video about a year ago now. I was looking to do what that person did but my window plastic is bonded to the actual window. The rear window Volvo sells as an assembly so there's no way to get the plastic off. I took out all the screws but the only thing that came off was the trunk handle.

You're going to hate me but you still screwed up big time on two areas I noticed..... I'll show you the two major issues in a minute

*Three Areas*... Your wires are CROSSING OVER and NOT BEHIND the airbag. No wires should be in front of any of the airbags or the harnesses. Always behind.. Therefore, your setup is Still obstructing their deployment.. You need to feed the wires behind the circled areas. And then have them on the clips for neatness to keep out of way.

Attachment 59495
      Attachment 59497
      Attachment 59493
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 03-09-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      I use a Street Guardian two-channel setup in my V90CC. One of the best dual Full-HD setups out there!

https://streetguardian.cam/product/sg9663dcpro
      That's what I use as well on my XC60 MY19.

Thought this one looks pretty good, not sure the video quality though...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32441815190.html

For me, I'm using the one I got from my dealer(in China), branded as Volvo, also come with an App called "Volvo on road"(For downloading the footage from the dash cam).
      But I think it's only available in Mainland China.

36. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements