Navigation Voice Commands
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Navigation Voice Commands

Has anyone had much luck using voice commands with Sensus navigation? I have tried a few times the past several weeks with very limited results. Most of the time it has no idea what address I am trying to say no matter how clearly and slowly I speak.

I was able to get "Take me home" to work once I entered my home address. Other than that, I got one destination to work after four or five tries and finally picking it from a list of addresses the car displayed.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

"Take me Home" is the only navigation command I use with Sensus while driving. Normally, if I have to input an address, I find it much easier to look up the address on my VoC app on my phone and then send it to the car. That way, the address is received by the Sensus unit by the time I'm walking to the car. A pretty neat feature to try!
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

I read somewhere--my equivalent of Trump's "people tell me"--that if you give nav commands in a normal conversational tone at a normal speed, it works better. Voice-command systems in general are not attuned to people using exaggerated, slow, super-clear pronunciation.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      I read somewhere--my equivalent of Trump's "people tell me"--that if you give nav commands in a normal conversational tone at a normal speed, it works better. Voice-command systems in general are not attuned to people using exaggerated, slow, super-clear pronunciation.
      It's in the owners manual. I'll be interested to find out how it works for me:

Ensure you are speaking in the correct language (selected system language) and that your selected language is supported by voice control.

Try saying "Help", you will then receive guidance on what is possible to say, it may be that the system does not support the phrase you feel that the system does not understand.

Speak at a natural pace and using a normal conversational tone. Do not speak so slowly that the system does not understand you, it impairs recognition.

Remember that in certain situations, the system must search a large database to give you the right feedback, in these situations, it is difficult to provide the exact right response. A list of possible answers is then presented in the vehicle's display.

The voice control system in your vehicle is under continuous improvement. You can download update files yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

I have a vocal disorder (spasmodic dysphonia) which makes my voice at times raspy, at times whispery, and generally low volume. I've only used voice command for nav a half dozen times--each time a low speeds so very little if any road or wind noise-- but each time it got it right. The voice command system also works well when I want to change the climate settings or give a phone number.

"take me home" works very well
      Apart from that.. it's not that easy.. for example, I have the car language in English (I prefer because I also use mobile/PC always in English).. but I have to "tell" the car cities/places names in DE/FR/NL/LU.. and of course.. most of the times it gives me weird results or no results.
      So, as already said by Volvolic, the VOC app feature to send addresses to the car is very practical and useful.
      RU1
      -------------------------------------
      2019 - VOLVO V90CC T6 VOR

I have no issue using voice commands. Surprising Car understands my Russian accent lol.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Forum Sponsor
      Here’s a nice Voice Control Command Guide that should help. We’ve gathered the most common phrases that the system recognizes well.

https://www.steingold.com/volvo-voic...l-commands.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Quicker to just say "HEY GOOGLE!"
      (And apparently Volvo has already identified their problem..... )
      https://group.volvocars.com/news/con...ainment-system
      ~ CREW CHIEF
      '20 V90 CC T6 Polestar Optimised
      '17 Corvette Grand Sport
      '06 Honda Ridgeline
      '01 Miata BRG SE

Quote Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
      ~ Quicker to just say "HEY GOOGLE!"
      If some day the sensus is replaced by google stuff and I'm forced to upgrade.. my volvo is up for sale!
      RU1
      -------------------------------------
      2019 - VOLVO V90CC T6 VOR

Quote Originally Posted by SteingoldVolvoCars View Post
      Here’s a nice Voice Control Command Guide that should help. We’ve gathered the most common phrases that the system recognizes well.

https://www.steingold.com/volvo-voic...l-commands.htm

Under the climate control section, you're missing that you can say "I'm hot" or "I'm cold", and it will adjust the temperature up or down 2-3 degrees. Also, you don't have to say "Air Condition On/Off", you can just say "A/C On/Off" and it will do it.

I recently tried having the voice control take me to O'hare airport. It took three tries before I learned how to say it in a way it knew.

I started by "take me to o'hare airport" > it started taking me to Oat, IL
      Second try "take me to O'hare airport" > it started taking me to Ontatio, CA!
      Third try "airport" > Select from list.....it was like #15 in the list...but it actually showed me the correct terminal I wanted to go.

BTW, I didn't need directions to the airport (been there many times) but I did want to play and understand how I could utilize the voice command...I still think it is faster to either type it or point it in the screen map. Or better yet, send it from your phone...but the car must be off (or you out of the car), which is another thing I think it is bad thinking.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Forum Sponsor
      Try to say “search” to active the Points of Interest feature - works much more seamlessly - “search “name of POI” in “city” - leave off state as you’ll need to ensure the “search area” is set to the correct state. Simply say “change state” to ensure it’s correct - hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      I recently tried having the voice control take me to O'hare airport. It took three tries before I learned how to say it in a way it knew.

I started by "take me to o'hare airport" > it started taking me to Oat, IL
      Second try "take me to O'hare airport" > it started taking me to Ontatio, CA!
      Third try "airport" > Select from list.....it was like #15 in the list...but it actually showed me the correct terminal I wanted to go.

BTW, I didn't need directions to the airport (been there many times) but I did want to play and understand how I could utilize the voice command...I still think it is faster to either type it or point it in the screen map. Or better yet, send it from your phone...but the car must be off (or you out of the car), which is another thing I think it is bad thinking.
      For things like that, I find it easier to approach it as a POI. So, similarly, I've had it take me to the airport by saying, "Search for, Terminal C at Boston Logan International airport", it then found that as the first option.

Quote Originally Posted by ru1 View Post
      If some day the sensus is replaced by google stuff and I'm forced to upgrade.. my volvo is up for sale!
      Sensus will be replaced by Google Auto on upcoming product, it will not retrofit to existing cars.
      His: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD R-Design, Red, Black Nu-buck. Hers: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Silver, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5 FWD
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2020 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum 6 passenger

You can ask the car: What can I say? and it will respond with a list of short commands that yield good results. One example identified above was "I'm hot" or "I'm Cold" raising or lowering the temp by 2 degrees.
      I have switched to carplay and Siri is much more cooperative (though not for climate commands).
      Ultimate built in solution will be the Google Auto which launches first in the XC40 Recharge (BEV), followed by other models in succession.
      His: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD R-Design, Red, Black Nu-buck. Hers: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Silver, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5 FWD
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2020 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum 6 passenger

Quote Originally Posted by cpq100 View Post
      Has anyone had much luck using voice commands with Sensus navigation? I have tried a few times the past several weeks with very limited results. Most of the time it has no idea what address I am trying to say no matter how clearly and slowly I speak.

I was able to get "Take me home" to work once I entered my home address. Other than that, I got one destination to work after four or five tries and finally picking it from a list of addresses the car displayed.
      I have quit using Sensus navigation for anything other than "Take Me Home" where I'm familiar with the local area. I have posted many times that the Sensus Nav system is dangerous and costly if you don't know the general navigation area. It avoids toll roads for no reason when they are clearly the best option (No, I do not have Avoid turned on) and will take you on back roads that can be dangerous in some urban areas or just ridiculous routes. Call up Apple Car Play and use one of the modes that is intelligent and knows what you want to do.

Plain and simple, it sucks. I have an S90 2018 and a bit appalled that a vehicle that costs this much has a lousy voice command. Voice command for air temp control and dialing phone numbers work pretty good but commands for driving direction is terrible. This thing also sounds like a robot, unbelievable. Nice ride otherwise.
      2018 S90 T5 Momentum

Quote Originally Posted by VLD1 View Post
      I have a vocal disorder (spasmodic dysphonia) which makes my voice at times raspy, at times whispery, and generally low volume. I've only used voice command for nav a half dozen times--each time a low speeds so very little if any road or wind noise-- but each time it got it right. The voice command system also works well when I want to change the climate settings or give a phone number.
      This is another good reason (among many) for no automaker to rely on (or ask their car's owners to use) any voice-control system whatsoever. Putting climate and audio controls into a computer screen that is extremely dangerous for a driver to use when driving the car, and then using the excuse "well, you can use voice control", is appalling -- especially from an automaker that likes to expound on how safe they make their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by cdauerer View Post
      Sensus will be replaced by Google Auto on upcoming product, it will not retrofit to existing cars.
      And it can't come soon enough. And good luck to all who have Sensus in their cars when the change is made. I have a pre-Sensus Volvo and will not get another one until Sensus is gone. Do you think that Volvo will service Sensus for very long after their new infotainment systems are replaced with Google OS? And how hard will it be to sell those cars, once several years' worth of Google OS Volvos are bought and running on the streets? I wouldn't be surprised if -- at that stage -- pre-Sensus Volvos sell better than Sensus Volvos.

Quote Originally Posted by cdauerer View Post
      That's too bad. You can retrofit or update code and operating systems to work with current hardware and firmware, but they won't do it. I would gladly pay for it.
      2018 S90 T5 Momentum

I guess you just need a voice problem for the car to understand commands. Just did a trial, directing: "Navigation" then with the prompt, said "50 Sewall St. Portland Maine" It gave me a choice of Sewall St., 15 Sewall St., or 50 Sewall St., Portland Maine. Thought that was pretty good.

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements