2015.5 Volvo XC70 T6 Suspension Problem
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just acquired a 2015.5 T6 with 20K miles. Very nice car. After the first long run out into the desert and low mountain areas in west Texas I found that the shock absorber's are just average. I am sure that since they have such low mileage they are operating "like new," but that isn't good enough.
      I have looked and looked and cannot find ANY aftermarket shocks for this car! Stunning!
      Has anyone found a solution that will allow me to put a set of decent shocks on this car? I have always outfitted my cars with Koni or Bilstein but neither company lists anything for this model Volvo.
      Appreciate any help......

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Check with ViVA Performance. I think they carry Bilstein B6 struts/shocks that might accomplish what you are want.

https://www.vivaperformance.com/suspension-75/
      2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum Caspian Blue Metallic/Off Black, Heico Sport Suspension, IPD swaybar, Ferrita/TME Exhaust, Polestar #1640
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, Eibach Lowering Springs, IPD swaybar, Koni FSD, Polestar #1563
      2006 V70R 6M ElecSilver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bell FMIC
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, TME Exhaust, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

Yep I'm looking at the same. Factory suspension is quite posh but under damped to be sure.
      09 XC70 T6 "Maxamoose"
      Many, many Miatas

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

2015.5 xc70 t6

Thank you for the ref. Sadly the site shows the same issue I have run into everywhere---Nothing for the 2015 XC70. In fact VIVA does not even list the car.
      As I said, this is Stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
      Check with ViVA Performance. I think they carry Bilstein B6 struts/shocks that might accomplish what you are want.

https://www.vivaperformance.com/suspension-75/

Perhaps start with the IPD SWAY BAR?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro
      XC70|D5|AWD|GT6|MY11|Polestar|IPD SWAY|

Banner Advertiser Connor @ ViVA's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by rovolet View Post
      Thank you for the ref. Sadly the site shows the same issue I have run into everywhere---Nothing for the 2015 XC70. In fact VIVA does not even list the car.
      As I said, this is Stunning!
      We do not have a category for the XC70 specifically, but we do mark products for the XC70 under the V70 2008+ Tab. Happy to look at some options for you if you would like to shoot us an email.

Thank you Penguin! and Thank You VIVA!
      I called VIVA who revealed to me that the problem across the board is that no one tells you that the shocks for the XC70 (2008-2016) are the same as for the V70!! Problem Solved.
      For anyone else who needs a set of Bilstein B6 shocks for their 2008-2016 XC70 here are the part numbers:
      Front Left 35-144960
      Front Right 35-144977
      Rear (Both) 24-143639

Ck out ProlixArgon's comments in post #1461 & 1463 HERE
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

B4, it's the way to go in my experience. I'm not super happy with the B8; I've not had a B6 on a Volvo, but they were a bit harsh on the BMW's I've put them on; B4's are about perfect for my preference of a Grand Touring suspension setup.
      Questions about rear differentials repairs? Email me here - [email protected]
      Owner of the only P3 V70 T6 in North America

What brand is VOLVO using on the XC70 P3? Anybody here with B6 on the XC?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by CrossingCountries; 03-11-2020 at 08:06 AM.

Connor, I think you should consider making a separate category, or at least make a note or tag somehow. Our XC70 came with some upgrades from the PO who was an enthusiast, the Snabb intake I realize came from VIVA. The XC70 is buried in there as fitting the intake, but you'd have to dig for it. I initially looked at your site when we first got it and I started looking for at what was available, as I upgrade every car I've owned, and passed on VIVA - as there was no category for my car.

I've seen a few other volvo sites do this - people in the industry and those who've researched here may know that our cars fall under the V70 category, but the layman, or new to the Volvo world enthusiast, does not. I think you're leaving money on the proverbial table. 2 cents et al.

Ross

I agree with Ross. It has been laborious and slow figuring out what fits and what doesn't.
      I bought the B6's for the rear and it was a welcome upgrade. I would find it difficult to argue that they are in any way uncomfortable. Not at all. But the difference is night and day. I then bought and installed the IPD rear anti-roll bar. It was about a 25 minute install and again a night and day difference. In fact this roll bar swap-out is a MUST. The bar I removed was totally unsuited for the size of the car---shame on you Volvo.
      Next month I hope to get the front B6's; they are rather expensive. And I may very well opt for the Eibach lowering springs if the govt sends me a check!

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingCountries View Post
      What brand is VOLVO using on the XC70 P3? Anybody here with B6 on the XC?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro
      I assume they are probably using Sachs. That seems to be one of the most popular OEM suppliers for shocks/struts for European cars.

On a related note, my wife's 2013 XC70 has started making a creaking noise coming from the front suspension when going over speed bumps. I used to associate that noise with rubber bushings being stiff when it was cold out but not it even does it in the hot spring weather.

Just acquired a 2015.5 T6 with 20K miles. Very nice car. After the first long run out into the desert and low mountain areas in west Texas I found that the shock absorber's are just average. I am sure that since they have such low mileage they are operating "like new," but that isn't good enough.
      I have looked and looked and cannot find ANY aftermarket shocks for this car! Stunning!
      Has anyone found a solution that will allow me to put a set of decent shocks on this car? I have always outfitted my cars with Koni or Bilstein but neither company lists anything for this model Volvo.
      Appreciate any help......
      Let me guess Odessa / Midland desert area? Once you get passed Austin, there's not much to look at until you hit Odessa. Just lots and lots of desert!

I agree with Ross. It has been laborious and slow figuring out what fits and what doesn't.
      I bought the B6's for the rear and it was a welcome upgrade. I would find it difficult to argue that they are in any way uncomfortable. Not at all. But the difference is night and day. I then bought and installed the IPD rear anti-roll bar. It was about a 25 minute install and again a night and day difference. In fact this roll bar swap-out is a MUST. The bar I removed was totally unsuited for the size of the car---shame on you Volvo.
      Next month I hope to get the front B6's; they are rather expensive. And I may very well opt for the Eibach lowering springs if the govt sends me a check!
      Very interested to hear how the B6s turn out for you; I am considering B4s for ours, a bit concerned that the B6 may be too harsh (I love handling but mama loves her ride quality LOL.) Please let us know once you get the fronts installed!
      09 XC70 T6 "Maxamoose"
      Many, many Miatas

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Let me guess Odessa / Midland desert area? Once you get passed Austin, there's not much to look at until you hit Odessa. Just lots and lots of desert!
      Hey now. You still have the beautiful Texas Hill Country and San Antonio once you get past Austin and prior to hitting the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by FAUGrad View Post
      I assume they are probably using Sachs. That seems to be one of the most popular OEM suppliers for shocks/struts for European cars.

On a related note, my wife's 2013 XC70 has started making a creaking noise coming from the front suspension when going over speed bumps. I used to associate that noise with rubber bushings being stiff when it was cold out but not it even does it in the hot spring weather.
      Agree- I do think they are Sachs. Or should I say Sucks? I disregarded the Police suspension... too much investigation too expensive. Thinking B4/B6...anybody with experience between the two? Kinda like harsh- could bring the car up a bit too for a longer time. Hate a lowered XC70.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by CrossingCountries; 04-10-2020 at 12:09 PM.

I can't say I'm very impressed with the stock suspension. It's far too harsh on small impact compression on street driving and a touch too soft on high speed cycling.
      Maybe the chassis is just not up to solid stiffness, but there is more cowl shake than I would expect. I do feel the shocks are part of the problem.

I've always been a fan of Bilsteins, would love the hear a report back.

Quote Originally Posted by FAUGrad View Post
      Hey now. You still have the beautiful Texas Hill Country and San Antonio once you get past Austin and prior to hitting the desert.
      San Antonio is still 80 miles from Austin... So not within walking distance. Desert is pretty but it is definitely very isolated!

I just ordered the B4 kit from VIVA based on this post. I too share the frustration around suspension for these late model vehicles - my P80 cars in the past were super fun to tweak on a budget. Totally different. Will be certain to report back on the B4 setup once it's installed.

Quote Originally Posted by beercan chariot View Post
      I just ordered the B4 kit from VIVA based on this post. I too share the frustration around suspension for these late model vehicles - my P80 cars in the past were super fun to tweak on a budget. Totally different. Will be certain to report back on the B4 setup once it's installed.
      Quick question. All seem to go for B4. Thatís a good choice for sure. Did anybody consider street performance or other types. B6?
      Or are they too harsh? Did anybody investigate this, any experience?

https://www.bilstein.com/int/en/products-and-services/