Reliability Issues Volvo S90
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Angry Reliability Issues Volvo S90

Hi there, has any other S90 owners experienced a large number of failures / issues with their car?

I am currently taking Volvo Cars Australia to court over my S90 with 16 parts replaced in 1.5 years. Volvo is viciously defending themselves in court explaining the failures are 'minor' and normal. Unethical and unconsciousable business conduct.

In Australia there are strong laws with major failures in products allowing consumers to get a choice of refund / replacement and compensation. Clearly 0 customer support and common sense.

Please feel free to email me at [email protected]

23 NOV 18 - Loss of Internet Connectivity Bluetooth and WiFi
      1 MAR 19 - Engine PowerPulse Hose Diagnosed as needing Replacement during service.
      22 MAR 19 - Engine PowerPulse Hose Replacement Fitted.
      22 MAR 19 - Brakes Began Squealing. Volvo adjusted brake backing disk. Issue was not resolved.
      22 MAR 19 - L/H/Rear Seatbelt not working properly. Found by customer. Verified by Service Centre and replacement part ordered.
      22 MAR 19 - Front Right Speaker diagnosed to have fault and new part was ordered.
      12 APR 19 - L/H/Rear Seatbelt replaced.
      12 APR 19 - Seatbelt Replaced (3 week wait since issue confirmed).
      12 APR 19 - Attempt #2 at fixing brake squealing. New Caliper Retainer Fitted. Brakes would squeal after driving 30-60 minutes with no pressure applied. Known issue with Volvo TJ 32351.
      12 APR 19 - Sunroof Blind noise confirmed by service centre.
      10 MAY 19 - Sunroof Blind Refitted. Found trim was installed incorrectly at factory.
      10 MAY 19 - Faulty Speaker replaced.
      10 MAY 19 - L/H/F Window Motor Fault. Clunking noise. Window Motor replaced.
      10 MAY 19 - Voice Control Not working. Software re- installed and working.
      10 MAY 19 - Brake Squealing continues. Modified brake kit installed.
      10 MAY 19 - Parcel Shelf reinstalled after foam was exposed. 

10 MAY 19 - Engine PowerPulse hose replaced the SECOND time after workshop noted hissing sound.
      27 MAY 19 - Brakes continue to squeek. 3 Parts have been replaced to fix. Brake Pads and Brake Calipers all four wheels.
      27 MAY 19 - Clicking noise inside car. Workshop known issue. Added washers and flange screws.
      21 JUN 19 - Rear view mirror bracket found adrift. Refitted.
      21 JUN 19 - Sunvisor came loose, refitted.
      22 JUL 19 - Squeak from drivers seat. Refitted rear cover.
      24 SEP 19 - Steering wheels volume button stopped working. Replaced.
      24 SEP 19 - Sun roof seal is coming off. Confirmed by workshop to be manufacturing defect. Resealed.
      24 SEP 19 - Centre console wood trim cracking, Volvo Workshop confirmed fault. Replaced.
      25 SEP 19 - Sport Key stops working. Customer is locked out of car. Had to retrieve normal key. Workshop found the key battery had internally exploded. Replaced.
      4 NOV 19 - Engine ECM rebuilt as per Volvo Fire Recall. New Hose Kit.
      31 JAN 19 - RHF Seat base extension confirmed by Volvo Brighton to have come adrift. Replaced.
      Screen issues continue to occur and Volvo admitted its an ongoing issue yet to be resolved despite multiple software updates. My infotainment screen can blank out at any time whilst driving.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Reliability Issues Volvo S90

That is one broken car.
      Key self destruction? New one. Heat related?
      Hope it works out for you.
      Iím sure there lemon law would take care of this one here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What year is ur car?.. As i know no one had so many issues with S90 . Breaks, vibration and steering buttons not working was 98% common issues for everyone but the rest of the issue i guess only in your car. I dono how it works in Australia but in US if they fixed same issue 3 or more times than you can replace the car or get refund . So by USA laws your car doesn't qualify for it.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls90 View Post
      What year is ur car?.. As i know no one had so many issues with S90 . Breaks, vibration and steering buttons not working was 98% common issues for everyone but the rest of the issue i guess only in your car. I dono how it works in Australia but in US if they fixed same issue 3 or more times than you can replace the car or get refund . So by USA laws your car doesn't qualify for it.
      Itís a combination of that and time out of service at the dealer. Another consideration is whether any one defect is severe. And in the US, since lemon laws are state based, requirements vary from state to state. In my state, Virginia, a used car can qualify for lemon law protection in certain circumstances.

I donít know that your issues arise to lemon law qualification if this was happening in the US. Perhaps an alternative might be trade assistance from Volvo to get you into a new cat rather than litigation. Settlement might be in everyoneís best interest in the long run.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

In Australia a major failure under the legislation can a combination of minor failure, where a 'reasonable' consumer would not have purchased the product if they had know about the failures that would have arisen. NO reasonable consumer would have purchased this car.

My S90 is an early 2017 build from Sweden.

It would have been bearable if Volvo Cars Australia's customer support was there, but it just isn't. No respect for the law and completely unethical conduct for a business that prides itself on ethics.

Have you tried writing something public on Volvo Facebook page? You would be surprised what that sometimes does. Not saying it will move the wheels for you but itís free why not give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      Have you tried writing something public on Volvo Facebook page? You would be surprised what that sometimes does. Not saying it will move the wheels for you but itís free why not give it a shot.

Agree!
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by epeng View Post
      Hi there, has any other S90 owners experienced a large number of failures / issues with their car?

I am currently taking Volvo Cars Australia to court over my S90 with 16 parts replaced in 1.5 years. Volvo is viciously defending themselves in court explaining the failures are 'minor' and normal. Unethical and unconsciousable business conduct.

In Australia there are strong laws with major failures in products allowing consumers to get a choice of refund / replacement and compensation. Clearly 0 customer support and common sense.

Please feel free to email me at [email protected]

23 NOV 18 - Loss of Internet Connectivity Bluetooth and WiFi
      1 MAR 19 - Engine PowerPulse Hose Diagnosed as needing Replacement during service.
      22 MAR 19 - Engine PowerPulse Hose Replacement Fitted.
      22 MAR 19 - Brakes Began Squealing. Volvo adjusted brake backing disk. Issue was not resolved.
      22 MAR 19 - L/H/Rear Seatbelt not working properly. Found by customer. Verified by Service Centre and replacement part ordered.
      22 MAR 19 - Front Right Speaker diagnosed to have fault and new part was ordered.
      12 APR 19 - L/H/Rear Seatbelt replaced.
      12 APR 19 - Seatbelt Replaced (3 week wait since issue confirmed).
      12 APR 19 - Attempt #2 at fixing brake squealing. New Caliper Retainer Fitted. Brakes would squeal after driving 30-60 minutes with no pressure applied. Known issue with Volvo TJ 32351.
      12 APR 19 - Sunroof Blind noise confirmed by service centre.
      10 MAY 19 - Sunroof Blind Refitted. Found trim was installed incorrectly at factory.
      10 MAY 19 - Faulty Speaker replaced.
      10 MAY 19 - L/H/F Window Motor Fault. Clunking noise. Window Motor replaced.
      10 MAY 19 - Voice Control Not working. Software re- installed and working.
      10 MAY 19 - Brake Squealing continues. Modified brake kit installed.
      10 MAY 19 - Parcel Shelf reinstalled after foam was exposed. 

10 MAY 19 - Engine PowerPulse hose replaced the SECOND time after workshop noted hissing sound.
      27 MAY 19 - Brakes continue to squeek. 3 Parts have been replaced to fix. Brake Pads and Brake Calipers all four wheels.
      27 MAY 19 - Clicking noise inside car. Workshop known issue. Added washers and flange screws.
      21 JUN 19 - Rear view mirror bracket found adrift. Refitted.
      21 JUN 19 - Sunvisor came loose, refitted.
      22 JUL 19 - Squeak from drivers seat. Refitted rear cover.
      24 SEP 19 - Steering wheels volume button stopped working. Replaced.
      24 SEP 19 - Sun roof seal is coming off. Confirmed by workshop to be manufacturing defect. Resealed.
      24 SEP 19 - Centre console wood trim cracking, Volvo Workshop confirmed fault. Replaced.
      25 SEP 19 - Sport Key stops working. Customer is locked out of car. Had to retrieve normal key. Workshop found the key battery had internally exploded. Replaced.
      4 NOV 19 - Engine ECM rebuilt as per Volvo Fire Recall. New Hose Kit.
      31 JAN 19 - RHF Seat base extension confirmed by Volvo Brighton to have come adrift. Replaced.
      Screen issues continue to occur and Volvo admitted its an ongoing issue yet to be resolved despite multiple software updates. My infotainment screen can blank out at any time whilst driving.
      Does Australia have a Lemon Law? To answer my own question, seems "No". https://www.qld.gov.au/law/laws-regu...015/lemon-laws
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 03-06-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      That is one broken car.
      Key self destruction? New one. Heat related?
      Hope it works out for you.
      Iím sure there lemon law would take care of this one here.

Agreed! But OP is from Australia, so not sure what recourse he has over there.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 03-06-2020 at 10:04 AM.

You went back and forth for a lot of the same issues. I understand the frustration but at large, the car is fine. I think that most people would just live with some of those things but some wouldn't and I understand that. Also the extreme climate there (compared to the majority of operating climates) has to do with some of the things I'm sure; not an excuse yes but can explain some things.

I think failures that have to do with drive-ability (high oil consumption, transmission issues, AC issues, etc) are something that a court can recognize as major but I believe that they were right, most are minor and acceptable.

I get the frustration but for example, with my last VW Sportwagen, it had 2x the minor failures that I just lived with. It doesn't compare to what you have going on here.

The other thing is you got one of the first rounds of S90s made and there were a lot of changes to newer models that can fix a lot of that.

I love Australian laws and wish I lived there not only for that but the climate, Ohio is terrible...

Noone is entitled to a perfect maintenance record but everyone is entitled to a fair maintenance record
      Last edited by MvI_S60R; 03-09-2020 at 01:17 PM.
      '06 S60R M66 | Blurple w/Sport Kit | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Hilton Stage 2.25 | DevilsOwn W/M | IPD:3" Oval Catless Exhaust | HD CA's | Adj. Toe Bars | 28mm Rear Sway | Snabb: Turbo Intake | Airbox | Big FMIC | Synapse DV | Colder Plugs | Strut Brace | Delrin S.B.'s | 20mm Spacers | 90mm Studs | My BUILD THREAD /// '20 V90 R-design on the way

Quote Originally Posted by MvI_S60R View Post
      You went back and forth for a lot of the same issues. I understand the frustration but at large, the car is fine. I think that most people would just live with some of those things but some wouldn't and I understand that. Also the extreme climate there (compared to the majority of operating climates) has to do with some of the things I'm sure; not an excuse yes but can explain some things.

I think failures that have to do with drive-ability (high oil consumption, transmission issues, AC issues, etc) are something that a court can recognize as major but I believe that they were right, most are minor and acceptable.

I get the frustration but for example, with my last VW Sportwagen, it had 2x the minor failures that I just lived with. It doesn't compare to what you have going on here.

The other thing is you got one of the first rounds of S90s made and there were a lot of changes to newer models that can fix a lot of that.

I love Australian laws and wish I lived there not only for that but the climate, Ohio is terrible...

Noone is entitled to a perfect maintenance record but everyone is entitled to a fair maintenance record
      Nothing listed is Major except the seatbelts not working, but had he been in the USA, I presume it'd be a lemon. No car is made perfect, and I've had my 15.5 in several times under warranty, but circa two dozen is a bit excessive. Sadly, AU doesn't have a Lemon law process. So OP has to bite the bullet and get things repaired.

Saying this car is by and large fine sounds like the US auto industries views about a 1970's Gremlin.

Horror show for a modern luxury vehicle, acceptable for a used Kia

Sounds like my luck I had with my 2017 Honda Accord Touring, which led me to dump the car before it killed me and spend 3x the price on a Volvo. Only to now start having niggling issues with the car, and the exact same piss-poor service experience as any other service shop in Atlanta/America. Hopefully this week's visit in the shop for numerous problems is not the start of another hellish experience. All car dealerships should have a motto "Doesn't matter the price, our service is still crap, you just pay more for it".

Yeah you have really different issues...

Regarding the break noise. Please note that there are two types of brake pads:
      1- Regular brake pads - noisy

2- Comfort brake pads - silent

Check with your dealer what's installed over there. From my experience, dealers will install the regular one by default. They don't mention it to the customer to decide. The difference in price is not a big deal.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
      Sounds like my luck I had with my 2017 Honda Accord Touring, which led me to dump the car before it killed me and spend 3x the price on a Volvo. Only to now start having niggling issues with the car, and the exact same piss-poor service experience as any other service shop in Atlanta/America. Hopefully this week's visit in the shop for numerous problems is not the start of another hellish experience. All car dealerships should have a motto "Doesn't matter the price, our service is still crap, you just pay more for it".
      I'm not trying to downplay the annoyances you've faced, but let's be realistic. Dealers are independent franchises, the same as restaurants, hotels, etc. Just because one Marriott or McDonalds is a dump, doesn't mean the whole chain is hot mess. What you have is a single owner not living up to standards. Volvo puts in place specific guidelines to follow, and thereafter, it's up to each dealer to maintain and exceed those parameters. Some dealers clearly do better than others.

Living in a market the size of Atlanta, you've got choices. Surely one dealer must be satisfactory out of them all?

1. Dyer and Dyer Volvo
      2. Volvo of Marietta
      3. Atlanta Volvo
      4. Northpointe Volvo Cars
      5. Volvo Cars Athens

etc, etc

I drive 80 miles each way to my preferred dealer. The local one was a trainwreck, but since firing their other service manager, things have improved. However, the local one still can't solve issues with the same competency as the one 80 miles away. Problems I've had left them stumped, but upon going to my preferred dealer, were immediately rectified.

I was always amused that poseurs would go to great lengths to make their street cars pretend to be racecars, with spoilers, wings, air dams, visibly cambered wheels, etc. Yet when I used to occasionally drive my 911 track car on the street, people thought there was something wrong with it because the brakes squealed constantly.

Of course they did. The brake pads were for the track, not the street. It was a legitimate racecar.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements