2012 XC60 -- Front passenger-side rotor rubbing against caliper bracket
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2012 XC60 -- Front passenger-side rotor rubbing against caliper bracket

Hello!

I had tough time removing the rotors from the front. Spent several hours of banging after PB treatment to no avail. Used the bolt method to press on the rotor to get it off. Worked! However, it seems to have pushed the "ear" of the knuckle towards inside by 2mm. So, front of the rotor is rubbing against the caliper bracket. Used 3MM steel washer as spacer between the bracket and the "ear" and it seems to be fine. I am planning to replace it with 2MM washer and also apply red loctite on the bolt for "final" assembly.

Is this okay ? Should I replace the while knuckle ?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Washer solution seems to be working fine. My only concern is fewer threads into the caliper bracket. I will not be doing hard braking in Autobahn. So, I guess it's okay. When I get a chance I will replace the 3mm washer with a thinner one.

Question: Can a crush washer be used as spacer for this kind of application ? I need to find thinner washer with inside diameter of at least 15mm and outside diameter of at most 30mm.

Bolts is the way to do this and it shouldn't have bent anything. Or this is just your typical European quality and isn't as durable or same grade as "regular" stuff.

Other than that, no idea what you're talking about. If you bent the caliper bracket, you should probably replace it. Of if it doesn't look otherwise damaged, either bend it back or shave just a bit with a Dremel if safe.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

@Dixon: If the rotor is totally "fused" into the hub it requires great force to remove the rotor. May be my hammering before trying the bolt-method has pushed the "eye" in a bit. Caliper bracket is not touched in the process of removing the rotor and hence not damaged. it's the "eye" into which it gets bolted is pushed in a bit.

Can I use crush washer ?

Only steel washers with inside diameter of at least 15MM that I could find come in 2.5mm. I just need a washer to push the caliper bracket out by a mm.

The rotors don't actually fuse to the hub. When they are difficult to remove, it's usually caused by rust between the inside of the rotor and the outside of the hub flange. When this happens, I use a grinder to cut a slot and then an air chisel to break the rotor. This way nothing is bent or damaged.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements