Replacing MAP Sensor
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Replacing MAP Sensor

Anyone got any tips on the fastest/easiest way to replace the MAP sensor?

My hands start to cramp and my knuckles prematurely bleed just looking at the space where its tucked away.
      '93 Volvo 240 Wagon (totaled in wreck with 430,000 miles)
      '95 Volvo 850 T5 (gifted to sibling)
      '99 Volvo S80 T6 (death by GM transmission)
      '06 Volvo XC90 2.5
      '04 Volvo V70 R

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Did you remove the pointless engine bay box on the driver's side?

I remember doing that job in a parking lot with limited tools. It is down there but I don't remember it being that bad.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      Stage 2 Contrast Tune, Snabb Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Tial Recirc, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings almost everywhere
      TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)
      2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic

I found it (the mass airflow sensor) comes off pretty easy.

I pulled the cosmetic cover to the right of the airbox off, and the airbox itself. Taking the intake duct off helped, it has two screws and two clips holding it to the airbox. Maybe easier to pull it off from the other side, since that's just held in with rubber bumpers.

All in all, I think it took 15 minutes to pull it off.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TristanScott View Post
      Did you remove the pointless engine bay box on the driver's side?

I remember doing that job in a parking lot with limited tools. It is down there but I don't remember it being that bad.

I'm impressed sir.

I've now dedicated two Saturday afternoons to try to get at this thing. I just can't get at the torx screw head. It seems to close too the curve of a panel that houses the headlights.

It figures that one of the cheapest sensors on the car would be this difficult to get to.
      '06 Volvo XC90 2.5
      '04 Volvo V70 R

Quote Originally Posted by Uba View Post
      I found it (the mass airflow sensor) comes off pretty easy.

I pulled the cosmetic cover to the right of the airbox off, and the airbox itself. Taking the intake duct off helped, it has two screws and two clips holding it to the airbox. Maybe easier to pull it off from the other side, since that's just held in with rubber bumpers.

All in all, I think it took 15 minutes to pull it off.
      I'm trying to get to the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP)! It's housed above the output of the intercooler.
      '06 Volvo XC90 2.5
      '04 Volvo V70 R

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonDoubleTake View Post
      I'm impressed sir.

I've now dedicated two Saturday afternoons to try to get at this thing. I just can't get at the torx screw head. It seems to close too the curve of a panel that houses the headlights.

It figures that one of the cheapest sensors on the car would be this difficult to get to.
      You should take a picture with the tool your using and the approach angle and whatnot. I don't have stock intercooler or piping anymore so i don't remember what it looks like there but might be able to help think of a better tool combination of I can see it.

Try turning the bit with a wrench, try getting a torx but with 3/8s drive and wobble extension or maybe u joint. Those are some ideas that come to mind. Or get a ratcheting bit holder.

Stage 2 Contrast Tune, Snabb Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Tial Recirc, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings almost everywhere

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)

Replacing MAP Sensor

You should take a picture with the tool your using and the approach angle and whatnot. I don't have stock intercooler or piping anymore so i don't remember what it looks like there but might be able to help think of a better tool combination of I can see it.

Try turning the bit with a wrench, try getting a torx but with 3/8s drive and wobble extension or maybe u joint. Those are some ideas that come to mind. Or get a ratcheting bit holder.

Here it is. Screws on the left partially hidden. Radiator to the right. Left is the body panel housing the drivers side headlight.

Iíve tried going at it from every which way I can think of.

Hereís the tools Iím using. Iíve tried all sorts of configurations!

Itís a 3/8 for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      '06 Volvo XC90 2.5
      '04 Volvo V70 R

Oh yeah that is tight! That is going to be too bulky to get in there. I have a low profile 1/4" bit ratchet similar to this one that I'm sure I used. Maybe pick up something like this: https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Profi.../dp/B07D4DZB1T

Oh yeah that is tight! That is going to be too bulky to get in there. I have a low profile 1/4" bit ratchet similar to this one that I'm sure I used. Maybe pick up something like this: https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Profi.../dp/B07D4DZB1T
      Oo perfect. And available via Amazon Prime!

Thanks!

'06 Volvo XC90 2.5
      '04 Volvo V70 R

Let us know if that works for you. I need to replace my sensor as well. My intake air temp readings have been consistently 15 degrees below ambient. Something tells me the stock intercooler setup isnt capable of that.
      2007 S60R M66 - Black/Nordkap - 185k - Snabb intake, Forge CBV. iPD anti-roll bars. Snabb FMIC soon to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecon07 View Post
      Let us know if that works for you. I need to replace my sensor as well. My intake air temp readings have been consistently 15 degrees below ambient. Something tells me the stock intercooler setup isnt capable of that.
      No intercooler is capable of making intake air cooler than ambient. Definitely faulty sensor.
      2004 S60R MT | Sapphire Black | Atacama | Tuned by myself | And a lot more...

Quote Originally Posted by contrast View Post
      No intercooler is capable of making intake air cooler than ambient. Definitely faulty sensor.
      Yes, I realize that. I already bought the new sensor and happened to find this thread.
      Looking at the picture, would it be possible to use a really long T25 screwdriver to get in there?
      2007 S60R M66 - Black/Nordkap - 185k - Snabb intake, Forge CBV. iPD anti-roll bars. Snabb FMIC soon to come.

I wish I had better news. But even with this micro ratchet I had to remove the air filter box, OTE pipe, radiator fan, and bumper, so I could loosen the radiator,intercooler,condenser sandwich so I could create room to get at this bolt!!

'06 Volvo XC90 2.5
      '04 Volvo V70 R

i did mine with a stubby torx driver and just removed the air inlet tube. but my R came with a Snabb intake system

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonDoubleTake View Post
      Anyone got any tips on the fastest/easiest way to replace the MAP sensor?

My hands start to cramp and my knuckles prematurely bleed just looking at the space where its tucked away.
      I used a very long T25 screw driver from my PC days. Didnít think Iíd use it again. LOL. Itís about 15 inches long with orange handle.

05 VR GT Titanium Grey/Nordakp, sunroof, Winter Package, Premium sound with Volvo Sub. VST rear brace, Ultra Racing front strut brace. iPD Sways and other little upgrades they have. EST DP with Touring Exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterBD View Post
      I used a very long T25 screw driver from my PC days. Didnít think Iíd use it again. LOL. Itís about 15 inches long with orange handle.

That's what I was thinking. I ordered a 300mm long screwdriver to try and get to this. If it doesnt work I will wait until I do my FMIC install later this spring, and just go easy on the car until then. Am I correct in assuming that a faulty sensor could potentially be dangerous to the engine if the ECU isnt pulling timing when it should?

I hope it works for you. But if itís anything like mine (pictured above) youíll have trouble getting at it. The metal shroud protecting where the headlights are recessed blocks any straight down path to the bolt.

'06 Volvo XC90 2.5
      '04 Volvo V70 R

So I was able to replace the sensor today. I guess I should have done more research, or even just looked at my car for more than five seconds, because I would have realized I didnt need any special tools to replace this. For some reason there seemed to be a lot more space around the sensor in my car than in the picture Pigeon posted above. I took the airbox out to get more access but aside from that all I needed was a 1/4" ratchet with a T15 bit!

I did a quick test drive and my IATs seem more reasonable now, not below ambient, but I'm still skeptical because they are pretty close to ambient while cruising.
      Side note, I was running without the airbox cover and holy crap this car makes some glorious turbo sounds. What a difference that cover makes!

After driving around today it's clear that replacing the sensor actually did not fix anything. When I started the car from dead cold this morning the sensor was reading 33F while the ambient temp was 45F. While driving, the IAT sat at 5 below ambient pretty consistently. I am reading the IAT through my CFE Plus. Next thing I'm going to try is reading the value directly from VIDA in case the CFE is somehow messing with things. Not sure where to go from there honestly. I dont think my car came with a physics-defying intercooler.

After driving around today it's clear that replacing the sensor actually did not fix anything. When I started the car from dead cold this morning the sensor was reading 33F while the ambient temp was 45F. While driving, the IAT sat at 5 below ambient pretty consistently. I am reading the IAT through my CFE Plus. Next thing I'm going to try is reading the value directly from VIDA in case the CFE is somehow messing with things. Not sure where to go from there honestly. I dont think my car came with a physics-defying intercooler.
      Yeah you should confirm that vidas reading that because the CFE could be wrong. I actually have my CFE unplugged right now because it was causing a canbus network error when it was plugged in. Those things are finicky at best in my opinion.

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements