Rear Passenger Door Lock Doesn't Work - Good Lock Assembly
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Rear Passenger Door Lock Doesn't Work - Good Lock Assembly

2006 S40.

Rear passenger door lock stopped working. Window works fine (from at the door, and at the driver door). Installed new lock assembly (the electronic part - the part that is riveted in - bought it over a year ago and just didn't want to do the job). Finally did the job, but doesn't work properly, but . . .

If I unplug the door plug to the pillar harness, and the door is unlocked, when I plug it back in it will lock . . . once.

If I do the same thing, but the door is locked to start, it will unlock . . . once.

All I can think of is that there is some sort of short in the harness running from the door plug to the lock assembly. No other idea what it could be - please let me know if you have any ideas. When I lock and unlock by hand it doesn't seem to be an unreasonable amount of friction . . . and clearly it will work . . . once.

BTW, went to the trouble to reload and print out VIDA instructions. Wow. That was a big case of: 1) Here's some steps; 2) magic happens; 3) you're done, right?

How those directions did not mention unbolting the window from the window assembly is beyond me . . . I'm pretty sure that's a step. No mention of the nice little access holes in the door to get to those window mount bolts either. Ridiculous.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      I've also found that VIDA can be lacking in terms of detail, however there are sometimes links to other instructionals within a set of directions. Could have been missed if you printed in black and white.
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

Thanks for the heads up. I'll go back and look for those.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

So after getting my VIDA / DICE setup and working (and trouble shooting with a different Right Rear Door Harness I believe I've determined it is the Right Rear Door Module Causing the issue. Had I been more familiar with VIDA / DICE I probably would have been able to narrow it down to the door module much sooner, and saved myself the $160 lock assembly, and tearing in and out of the door and B pillar a few times, but I believe I have found the issue.

Electrical has never been my strong area, but I guess I'm getting a bit better. I never would have figured it out without the Volvo wiring diagram that I found somewhere a few years ago in PDF form . . . though I'm sure someone more familar with VIDA/DICE would have been able to figure it out just with that.

It was the Right Rear Door Module. Used one from ebay for $15 and problem solved.

For anyone else with a door lock that stops working (with buttons or fob), unhook the battery to the car, rehook it up, and then see if you can get the door to lock or unlock, but only once. If that is your symptom then your lock assembly is probably fine, and you can get away with the much cheaper, and easier to access, Door Module.

Good luck.

I should caveat my above post with the statement that that is "quick" troubleshooting that may be correct, without using VIDA to really dig into it.

If I've learned one thing from all this it was that I should have taken the time to learn and use VIDA before I really needed it . . . but now hopefully if ever do really need it (engine issue) I'll be able to figure it out rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by m002922 View Post
      I should caveat my above post with the statement that that is "quick" troubleshooting that may be correct, without using VIDA to really dig into it.

If I've learned one thing from all this it was that I should have taken the time to learn and use VIDA before I really needed it . . . but now hopefully if ever do really need it (engine issue) I'll be able to figure it out rather quickly.
      Hee hee. My caveat would be, at least in my case, that I'll have forgotten all the arcane corners of VIDA when I need it again. Sigh.
      Mark

"New-to-me" V50 Back from the dead.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements