SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Engine cover foam insulation disintegrating

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  santafemap 
#1 · (Edited)
The foam insulation under the plastic engine cover is disintegrating. It’s dry and brittle from age. The dust and bits can potentially get inside the engine when doing maintenance, if not careful. Volvo only sells the plastic cover including insulation for about $180. Is there any place that sells just the foam piece? Any thoughts on sealing it with a spray, maybe plasti kote?

#2 ·
According to other car forums, the usual solution is to apply hood insulation material to the inside of the plastic cover. Unfortunately, the Volvo foam is not flat and has contours for a custom fit. The material could be applied in strips to the old foam, but that defeats the purpose of sealing the dust and preventing further deterioration. I wonder if a high heat enamel paint will stick to the foam and seal it. I may need to do a test, but if wrong will end up buying a new cover.

#4 · (Edited)
Interesting. The engine cover is to prevent dust and moisture on all the wiring and electrical components. Many say the foam insulation reduces noise. I imagine another benefit is to prevent rodents from chewing the wires which is common among Volvos for some reason. Heat surely degrades the foam most. Seems to have a 10-12 year life. The foam is removable, so I don't know why they don't sell it separate from the cover.

#10 ·
Manufacturer like Volvo and Mercedes, and other cars that fall under the category of "Luxury" greatly value anything that muffles the mechanical noise from the engine crankshaft, valves and pistons and any other components except the sound that comes out at the tail-pipe. And that is why volvo puts foam under the plastic cover. However, if I was a manufacturer I would be more concerned about heat dissipation, and rodent protection. I would make the cover in Aluminum, possibly with fins to maximize the dissipation of heat, and I would used something like dense rubber glued to the cover to dampened noise (or a product that act like 'lead') and I would have the bottom periphery sealed against rodents (in aluminum) but also provide airflow under the cover through small vents or some kind of grill. Of course this would cost more than the present system of plastic/foam combination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.