OEM 255/35R20 Pirelli P-Zero summer tire
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

OEM 255/35R20 Pirelli P-Zero summer tire

I am looking at replacing them with an Ultra High Performance All-Season or Touring tire on my S90 T6. I would like a long wear tire with a softer and quieter ride.

Here are my choices:

· PILOT SPORT A/S 3+

· CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON

· EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

· POTENZA RE980AS

· P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS

Suggestions please!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you're looking for softer and quieter, then I think you should probably be looking for a touring tire. What you have listed will definitely be on the louder side.

I had the Potenza RE980AS on my 13 Acura TSX and I liked them a lot... They're on the less-expensive side too, which is nice. I drove the car just over 20k miles on them before I got rid of the car. In the Bridgestone family, I would think that the Turanza series would probably give you a longer tread life and quieter ride.

I also just had a new set of tires put on my 9-5. It had the original version of the Conti Extremecontact DWS which were good, I replaced them at about 36k miles and six years of life as they were getting a bit noisy. I opted to replace them with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ as I was looking for something a bit more sporty... These ones definitely have some road noise to them, probably more than what the RE980AS gave me on my Acura. I will say the Michelins handle exceptionally well. Only reason why I chose them over another set of RE980AS tires was that the Michelins were on sale.
      Current: 2020 S60 T5 Inscription, 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero, 1986 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible
      Past: 2013 Acura TSX, 1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS90 View Post
      I am looking at replacing them with an Ultra High Performance All-Season or Touring tire on my S90 T6. I would like a long wear tire with a softer and quieter ride.

Here are my choices:

· PILOT SPORT A/S 3+

· EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

· POTENZA RE980AS

· P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS

Suggestions please!
      I have been a HUGE fan of Continentals DWS06 tires, to the point where I am putting them on all of my cars.

Good comfortable ride, and the best damned wet traction I have ever experienced. It is literally difficult to get them to lose grip.

Honestly though, the ride quality issue may or may not be the tire brand. It could be that you are running really low profile rubber. 255/35R20 winds up having a REALLY small sidewall at 3.5". I have never experienced them myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of the problem.

Do you have any vibration? I wonder if the thin rubber might result in bent rims if you hit potholes.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

No, I don't have any major issue. It does have the Noise Cancelling, but I am not sure if that helps or a gimmick. I can really feel the hard tires on the road trough the steering wheel. You can hear the thumps on the road due to the low profile. The 20 inch rims with low profile look nice, but I didn't buy the car for sporty handling or else I would have gotten a BMW M series or AMG. I want more of the Lexus ride with better handling. I know tires can make a huge difference based on my past experience with other sport luxury cars.

No, I don't have any major issue. It does have the Noise Cancelling, but I am not sure if that helps or a gimmick. I can really feel the hard tires on the road trough the steering wheel. You can hear the thumps on the road due to the low profile. The 20 inch rims with low profile look nice, but I didn't buy the car for sporty handling or else I would have gotten a BMW M series or AMG. I want more of the Lexus ride with better handling. I know tires can make a huge difference based on my past experience with other sport luxury cars.
      Based on this response, whichever tire you settle on, maybe consider using the other alternative Volvo specified tire size for 20" wheels on the S/V90's

245/40R20 should be a much more compliant ride than 255/35R20. Both are recommended sizes by Volvo.

I liked the older version Conti Extreme Contacts on my SAAB 9-5, I was on the third set when I traded it in at140K miles. It would have kept it, but parts for the 2006 refresh were getting hard to find; for 2005s and earlier there still are plenty of parts available.

i'm also a fan of the Conti line of tires. there are also tons of choices in that size, so you should have plenty to choose from.

i'm curious if anyone has bumped up to the 265/35-20 size. they are only 0.3" larger in diameter, but looking at the stock 255s, they certainly look like they'll fit easily on the wheel.
      '19 V90R, '19 XC60R, '05 V70R, '04 XC90, '02 M3, '99 Mcoupe, '97 993 C4S, '86 951

Quote Originally Posted by aircooled View Post
      i'm also a fan of the Conti line of tires. there are also tons of choices in that size, so you should have plenty to choose from.

i'm curious if anyone has bumped up to the 265/35-20 size. they are only 0.3" larger in diameter, but looking at the stock 255s, they certainly look like they'll fit easily on the wheel.

Interesting throught. I wonder how wide you can go before rubbing...

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Interesting throught. I wonder how wide you can go before rubbing...
      Quote Originally Posted by aircooled View Post

Hmm.

According tot he tire size calculator 265/35R20 requires a 9" wide rim, but the stock 20":ers for the S/V90 are 8.5" wide though. Maybe with a different wheel? As long as it does not rub....

So, I ran the numbers on all wheel and tire combinations that Volvo ships with the S/V90 (sorry, didn't include CC models as they are a different beast)

I also threw in a 20"x9" XC90 wheel just to see if I could make a wider tire work.

S90TireWheel_jpg_.jpg

Stock configurations are in green.

I figure as long as we stay inside the max stock tire protrusions on either side, there shouldn't be any rubbing on the inside or too much of a protrusion on the outside.

On a 9" wide 20" XC90 wheel a 265/35R20 tire would be fine on the inside (171mm inside hub surface is smaller than max stock at 175mm) so no rubbing.

It would stick out a bit more on the outside. 94mm out from the center hub is more than the max stock of 80.5.

So it would protrude a little bit over a half an inch further out than the stock tire that sticks out the most. This may look a little weird. It would likely protrude beyond the fender flares.

Edit: Not quite sure why that file winds up being so small. The resolution of the one I uploaded is quite high.
      Edit: Looks like the forums software is recompressing my beautiful small file size png and turning it into an inefficient Jpg, and messing with the size in the process. Going to try again by uploading a jpg.
      Edit: Uploading a jpg, still got it recompressed, but at least now it is legible if you click on it. I wish it would leave the uploads untouched.
      Last edited by mattlach; 03-10-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks...That's good to know about an alternative!

My V90 R Design came with Pirelli P7 Cinturato. Initially I was a bit annoyed I didn’t get Z rated summer tires, but I can assure you that these tires are very quiet, no boom or roaring like I used to get from the tires on my ex-V60 Polestar. For my driving, with the occasional fun on-ramp or curvy canyon road, I’m more than happy.
      '18 V90 T6 R-Design, P* tune, 20s, Euro spec tail lights, full leather seating, B&W, air suspension, HUD
      Past: '16 V60 Polestar, Rebel Blue

What rim/tire size do you have for the V90 with P7 Cinturato?

Here are my choices:

· PILOT SPORT A/S 3+

· EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

· POTENZA RE980AS

· P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS

Suggestions please!
      Tire selection in north America is just terrible.
      I really miss Summer Touring shoes, I hate that no-season crap.

I got the pilot supersport 4s for mine and will not buy another summer shoes ever. Well unless they discontinued. Those are glued to the asphalt rain or shine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone with 265/35R20 on an R-Design please let me know before i become the "guinea pig"
      I got a feeling it's going to rub like hell on the R-D, LOL

Thanks,
      Current : 2019 V90 R-Design - Full R-D package + Integrated Rear Booster Seats / Borla Exhaust / K&N Filter / Chrome Delete / Ceramic Pro on Silver Paint / 99% De-badged (planned, P* Tune + other minor customizations)
      Former : 2015 V60 P* (aftermarket Wheels / Exhaust / K&N Filter) Blackout + other minor customizations

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements