Polestar Software Upgrade S90 T6
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Polestar Software Upgrade S90 T6

Does anyone have any experience with this from a stock 2017 S90 T6 to the Polestar Optimization upgrade?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Although not the S90, I have driven and compared a Polestar tuned V90CC and a non-P* tuned V90CC. The same engine setup as the S90.

A big difference, IMHO and one should totally get the upgrade unless they prefer the stock Volvo optimization for some reason. On paper, not the most impressive tune by far, but the change in responsiveness of the engine/transmission and the overall driving feel is worth the cost. See if your dealership has a P* optimized vehicle in stock and test drive it.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

One caution: I have the Polestar upgrade in our 2018 V90 T6 AWD, and you really need to be prepared to run the car in dynamic mode with manual shifting. If you enjoy that, go for it.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      One caution: I have the Polestar upgrade in our 2018 V90 T6 AWD, and you really need to be prepared to run the car in dynamic mode with manual shifting. If you enjoy that, go for it.
      Why do you have to run it in manual, because most transmissions these days are faster in auto than manual.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS90 View Post
      Does anyone have any experience with this from a stock 2017 S90 T6 to the Polestar Optimization upgrade?
      Yes, I just did the upgrade on my 2017 S90 T6 Inscription with air suspension a few weeks ago.

I'll say, the update is VERY subtle. Everyone that says "it changes how power is delivered, not the amount" is right. I was disappointed my first day since it wasn't a night and day difference like most aftermarket tunes, but have grown to appreciate it. Steering feel and suspension remain exactly the same as before. Comfort mode gets a little more power to the rear, it feels like. (I get less front wheel slip in hard corners on Comfort.) Polestar is more or less similar to what Dynamic was previously. The big change across all modes is that the car acts less stubborn... It usually feels like it's in the right gear now and it's quick to kick down if it's not. I'd compare it more to the BMWs I've owned/own (but not quite the quick steering of a 335i and not the refinement of a 750i...somewhere in between). It's very torquey and the gas pedal is more sensitive, but I actually get slightly better MPG now since it's not stuck in low RPMs trying to build speed when I hit the pedal.

If you do get it, wait until your dealership has an accessories sale and ask Volvo for a coupon. The latter is a rebate, so you can combine both.

Why do you have to run it in manual, because most transmissions these days are faster in auto than manual.
      Has nothing to do with shifting speed. I find that Polestar hangs in gear(s) longer than I want it to, unless I'm driving seriously crazy (which at age 83 I no longer do).

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Has nothing to do with shifting speed. I find that Polestar hangs in gear(s) longer than I want it to, unless I'm driving seriously crazy (which at age 83 I no longer do).
      I hear you on this.

I'm nowhere near 83, but at 40 I feel like my youthful days of stupidly violating traffic laws and driving irresponsibly are behind me

I can't help but wonder in what situations those of you who consider the Polestar upgrade crucial actually use it.

I was always taught that when on the road you should always drive as boringly as possible:

• Be predictable
      • Make no sudden movements or course corrections
      • Drive zenlike and leave your testosterone at home.
      • Leave enough space to the car ahead of you that can just lift your foot off of the accelerator ans coast down to speed if things slow down, and you almost never have to use your brakes unless you are approaching a full stop ahead.
      • On the highway, observe the 2-3 second following distance rule, and if you have to speed, leave LOTS of space. Never weave, tailgate or pass on the right.

For reference:
      2 second following distance at 60mph = 176ft (~12 typical car lengths)
      2 second following distance at 80mph = 234ft (~16 typical car lengths)

Most days my commute is entirely city driving these days, so most of what my car does is brutal acceleration runs out of traffic lights, barely touching the accelerator going 0-30mph in 15 seconds, or 0-35 in 20 seconds.

Don't get me wrong, I am not immune to the thrill of driving, but that thrill belongs solely on a closed track, not on public roads. And lets just say that a full size luxo-barge like the S90 or V90 are not exactly what most people consider a track car

The only time I really find myself using the full power of my T6 is to accelerate onto busy highways with short on-ramps, and for passing on the highway, and that is pretty rare.

Mattlach, I agree entirely. Before entering my dotage, I actually built a full-out track-day car--do a search for my book "The Gold-Plated Porsche--and had lots of fun at Lime Rock and Watkins Glen, sharing the fun with my young daughter. And my top-speed-attained is 204 in a Porsche Carrera GT, but that was on a huge runway in the former East Germany. (I used to be an auto journalist.)

But today...you know the answer to road rage? Let them go, let them in, give them a friendly wave. Life is much simpler now.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements