Transporting your pooch - load liner or other options?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Transporting your pooch - load liner or other options?

What do you folks use to transport your dog(s)? Originally I was thinking about getting Volvo's load liner & a steel grille, but then found www.cargoliner.com that seems to provide better coverage/protection.

P.S. I have a 100-pound mastiff.
      Last edited by vlvownr; 03-10-2020 at 11:32 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by vlvownr View Post
      What do you folks use to transport your dog(s)? Originally I was thinking about getting Volvo's load liner & a steel grille, but then found www.cargoliner.com that seems to provide better coverage/protection.

We have a 105 pound great pyrenees and when we travel we use Volvo's dog harness (XL) that clips to the seatbelt. If you need your pooch to travel in the way back the dog grille is a good option as it will contain your dog in the unlikely event of an accident.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by comp1 View Post
      We have a 105 pound great pyrenees and when we travel we use Volvo's dog harness (XL) that clips to the seatbelt. If you need your pooch to travel in the way back the dog grille is a good option as it will contain your dog in the unlikely event of an accident.
      You're a much braver person to let the dog ride in a leather seat She's definitely going to the boot and I need to find a good cover to protect upholstery from hair/saliva.
      Last edited by vlvownr; 03-10-2020 at 12:16 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Hi there,

I use Cavasback now for everyday use. I also used it in the past on my Grand Cherokee. They are custom made cargo liners and also offer optional side protection for the cargo area. No match for dirty dogs or bags of mulch. Very high quality and can't say enough about them. The one in my Grand Cherokee before my XC60 lasted over 6 years and looked as good as the day I got it.

For longer trips, I use Covercraft dog cargo liner. It's padded where as the canvasback is not and seems more comfortable for those longer trips on the road. I've only had mine about 6 months at this point but it also seems well well made.

Both Canvasback and Covercraft are handmade in the USA which is a nice bonus too.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse3mail View Post
      I use Cavasback now for everyday use. I also used it in the past on my Grand Cherokee. They are custom made cargo liners and also offer optional side protection for the cargo area. No match for dirty dogs or bags of mulch. Very high quality and can't say enough about them. The one in my Grand Cherokee before my XC60 lasted over 6 years and looked as good as the day I got it.

For longer trips, I use Covercraft dog cargo liner. It's padded where as the canvasback is not and seems more comfortable for those longer trips on the road. I've only had mine about 6 months at this point but it also seems well well made.
      Thanks! Canvasback has XC60 images but not Covercraft. Would you be able to share photos of the latter? I'd love to see how much it covers.
      Last edited by vlvownr; 03-10-2020 at 02:54 PM.

I’ve mentioned in other threads that I’ve been very happy with custom Canine Covers (made by Covercraft) for use in the back seat of my past 3 vehicles, easily protecting my seats from nails and a few motion sickness accidents with my 65lb Golden Retriever. Other owners I’ve turned on to the product in former vehicles used the same thing for “messy” children including car seat needs instead of pets, with good comments back on those forums after their purchase. I tried a much cheaper semi-custom cover available for the 2020 XC60 from the UK, but given the excellent quality I’ve been accustomed to with my Canine Covers, I couldn’t take the sloppy fit, lack of padding and waterproof but slippery material that made my girl uncomfortable entering/exiting since she didn’t have a good enough grip, and it’s now folded up on a shelf as a backup.

Longer story short, I ordered a custom Covercraft
      Canine Covers Rear Seat Protector for a 2018 XC60 T8 in their lightest available “wet sand” color to go with my blonde interior (they have multiple colors.) Their configurator and customer service do not officially support a 2020 XC60, but this (2018) custom cover fits my 2020 Inscription rear seat like a glove. It set me back $328, but the quality is beyond compare, is secure on the seat bottom and back, covers the seat bottom/back/sides, comes on/off with Velcro straps and tabs in logical places, has a multi-layer padded non-slip seat bottom, is waterproof, with Velcro flap openings to accommodate car seats and/or seatbelt/pet harness attachments, while allowing you to drop one part of the seat back or the other if you desire. I vacuum mine each week when I wash my car, give it a couple squirts of my normal car air freshener, and remove/wash it on the delicate cycle perhaps 2-3 times a year, hanging it up to air dry. Each of mine lasted as long as I owned my vehicle (4+ years), and the quality was still great when it left my possession. Something to perhaps consider for someone that wants their pet to ride in the back seat: https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/canine-covers. Covercraft makes cargo area protectors as well (same website), sling and cheaper versions, as well as panels to fit over the side door panels if you pets that cause drooling/nails when the window is open, and panels that fit the back of the front seats if that is your concern with pets or kicking — I just don’t have experience with them.

IMG_0444.jpeg
      Last edited by BertL; 03-10-2020 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added more available options info
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Thanks! Canvasback has XC60 images but not Covercraft. Would you be able to share photos of the latter? I'd love to see how much it covers.
      Sure thing! Here are some pictures of both the canvasback (a little dirty after having the dogs in the back) and the canine cover. What I will say is the canvasback is absolutely solid as far as not moving. It is Velcro all along the edges. The canine cover tends to slide sometimes when the dogs hop in. It is held by Velcro around the back seat headrests and tied at each anchor point of the XC60 cargo area. Once they are on it though it doesn’t tend to move.

I put a blanket on the seat and let them ride in the passenger compartment.

I put a crate in the backseat. I’ll adjust the front passenger seat back to wedge it in tightly. The crate fits my 70 pound golden retriever.

This is for a sedan. When I get an SUV, I think I will go with the Volvo dog cage built in. It comes with some type of thick rubber mat. Which I assume I could just vacuum out. And use a damp cloth to get any cake on dirt off.

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

100lb? That's a wee Mastiff :^)

I second the cnvasback recommendation, I've used them in 3 vehicles now. Easy to clean, and very durable/rugged, and awesome customer service. My previous ones looked like new after years of use, dogs in and out daily.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements