Exhaust options
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Exhaust options

Exhaust options

This is for a 2.4i, so no exhaust tips or that. I don't know much about exhausts, so I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have a failed catalytic converter and a hole in my rear muffler. The center and middle mufflers seem to be okay, but I'm thinking this may be a time to replace it all.

My car is approaching 300k, so I'm not looking for anything performance, but I want something that is quality and not mild steel that will look like crap after a winter, or sound poorly after a year. I want something to last many years to come without breaking the bank, as this is my DD.

Can someone suggest a good set-up from the exhaust manifold back? I have a welder, so I can fab something up if need be, if an existing option is not the best. I've seen cat back set-ups from Walker, but I know they aren't always the greatest quality.

Thanks!
      2005 S40 2.4i

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm not sure where you are located or what emissions regulations you have regarding catalytic converters but I've never had a good experience with aftermarket options for those since they always seemed to throw CELs and generally dont last long (not just on volvos). For a catback though on my t5 I bought a vibrant resonator, magnaflow muffler, and a set of tips for just over 200 and had a local muffler shop fab it all together for like 300 parts and labor. They warranty their welds and piping for life so for me it was worth it and much cheaper than the 900ish for a prefab. 3 years going strong and it sounds great. I also dont have a welder so you can save plenty doing that yourself. As far as cats go, NYS has the same regulations as California so any shop that installs one has to fill out a carbon copy form with the serial numbers of the part (which obviously must match what's required for the vehicle) and send one copy to the state so I cant really help you there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I just looked out of curiosity and there appears to be full cat backs for around 350 online.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks! I'm in RI, so it's federal emissions.

Yeah, I saw pre-fab from Walker for not that bad. I just didn't know there quality.

As far as the cat, I agree, but I cannot justify $1200+ for a Volvo one. I think Faurecia makes the Volvo cat, and Tenneco makes the mufflers, but they don't offer aftermarket options.
      2005 S40 2.4i

I had replaced my son's down pipe w/cat on his '01 S40 going on 4 years now with aftermarket Bosal pipes from FCP Euro. No problem with rust or codes.
      Last edited by AutoGeek; 03-10-2020 at 10:45 PM.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

I've heard good things about Bosal, so that is good to hear.

Any one have experience with aftermarket mufflers or cat-back set-ups that don't involve fabricating? I'm seeing EST and Walker. Not a ton of options for a 2.4i.
      2005 S40 2.4i

I just wanna point out 300k miles is impressive!
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

Have had decent luck with Bosal stuff, had a bosal cat + resonator on my e36 that survived many years and miles. I have however also had experience with canada made cat+flexpipe assemblies made to fit our cars, and not only was it welded wrong, it's basically catless.

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      I just wanna point out 300k miles is impressive!
      Thanks!

As far as Bosal, thanks for the other suggestion. I'm fine with a Bosal cat, and see some available.

What about muffler? Any recommendations? Mine just had a nice big hole flake off of the back.
      2005 S40 2.4i

Quote Originally Posted by mgm7890 View Post
      Thanks!

As far as Bosal, thanks for the other suggestion. I'm fine with a Bosal cat, and see some available.

What about muffler? Any recommendations? Mine just had a nice big hole flake off of the back.
      If the rest of your piping is still salvageable then you can always just cut the old muffler out and weld in a magnaflow or similar style with matching inlet/outlet diameters.

I'd get a used OEM muffler, ebay or salvage yard. Might get away with just cutting the old one off and clamping the new one on, but it's tough to find an a universal aftermarket muffler that won't drone/be louder. You might have luck with an aftermarket copy of OEM. Got the quietest Walker muffler I could for my e36, still was way louder than stock, so that's something to anticipate if you go the universal route.

Quote Originally Posted by lunalolvo View Post
      I'd get a used OEM muffler, ebay or salvage yard. Might get away with just cutting the old one off and clamping the new one on, but it's tough to find an a universal aftermarket muffler that won't drone/be louder. You might have luck with an aftermarket copy of OEM. Got the quietest Walker muffler I could for my e36, still was way louder than stock, so that's something to anticipate if you go the universal route.
      Yeah. That's what I was trying to avoid with the Walker setup. I'm not looking for anything special, and I feel OEM is the best. A new one is steep from FCP, but I can check around with local junkyards. I feel like I'm going to run into the same issue with an older muffler though.

I'm pretty sure my two cylindrical mufflers in the center are okay. It's more a question of removing the two bolts from the cat that attached to the first center muffler. Rust hasn't been kind to them.
      2005 S40 2.4i

Thanks all for the recommendations. I went with a Bosal cat.

I enlarged the end of the center muffler outlet to 2.5" and got a 2.5" exhaust clamp to keep the original system from the cat back. I patched the muffler for now.

I did have to cut the bolts off and weld new studs to the center muffler. They were far gone from rust.
      2005 S40 2.4i

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements