How well do Volvo dealers generally treat customer cars?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

How well do Volvo dealers generally treat customer cars?

I dropped off my car for a battery issue yesterday here in SoCal. The dealer replaced the battery today. Added bonus was they broke a trim clip in the trunk area, and I'll need to go back to get that popped in later. This dealer (Volvo of OC) is good on the sales side, and the service adviser is great, but the techs and porters are awful with handling cars.

When I bought my S60 brand new in late 2019, there was some discoloration in the lower interior door panel (they had tried to clean scuff marks with wax - yes exterior paint wax, on an interior door panel). The last time my car was there for wrapped front rotors, it got a small scratch on the rear quarter panel, and they delivered it with dark marks and finger prints all over the seats, headliner, etc. I went straight some and detailed the interior for a good hour to get it all out.

Are Volvo dealers usually this bad with treating customer cars?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That hasn't been our experience in our 19 years of owning a Volvo. We've used four different dealers in that time (the car has accompanied us on multiple moves) and mostly they've been very good. A smudge here or there but never scratches or anything like that. One of them had a problem clearing out the detritus from the inside of the car (paper mats and the like) but that was just a minor annoyance.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

Not sure if it’s region or just times. I had crappy experience in every Audi, VW, and Volvo dealership on service.

Best one was when the oil change was done 1/2 way showing low oil and the dealership claimed that the digital display is simply wrong and they won’t add oil that what’s Audi. Best one is the video in Chicago of a person stealing from the car at the dealership and then the service manager kicked the customer out as he stated he in trapped the worked.

Not sure if it’s just the time, the workers they get, or what but unfortunately the more horrors story is out there then any positive ones
      2020 V60 CC

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AJS1KR View Post
      I dropped off my car for a battery issue yesterday here in SoCal. ......... This dealer (Volvo of OC) is good on the sales side, and the service adviser is great, but the techs and porters are awful with handling cars.
      Are Volvo dealers usually this bad with treating customer cars?
      Volvo of OC is hit it or miss. In my experience, a lot of it depends on if the tech is getting paid by Volvo for warranty work or the customer. It also depends on the tech. Some of them are complete slobs, and some actually care about the car and the customer. Just depends! Total crap shoot. The best bet honestly is to use an independent. There are plenty in SoCal. They are cheaper and specialize in Volvo, and you can actually walk into the shop talk to the techs without be scolded for being in the shop, and you don't get nickel and dimed or get the scare tactics on tire, rotors, brakes, etc.
      1998 Volvo C70 - Mystic Silver/Charcoal, Stage III
      2007 Volvo S60r - Electric Silver/Nordkap - SOLD, and Missed.
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Caspian Blue/Off-black

We have used the same Volvo dealer for service for over 20 years. I always ask them to write "no wash" on order and I install a total seat cover to drivers seat when I drop car off. Every once in a while we do get smudges on things but they come right off. Never have had any damage of any kind. Some repairs may take multiple trips but lately-last five years the incidence of that has gone down. We have tried Indy's but they are not reliable. We're pretty happy with dealer service all in all.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

Thanks for everyone's responses. My car still has the warranty and free service, so I'll be using the dealer until that runs out. I'm wondering if Mission Viejo Volvo is any better.

I picked up my car earlier today, and sure enough, smudge marks on the blond interior. I spent about 15 minutes cleaning and treating the interior. I think this dealer just has an issue on the shop end with how techs and porters treat cars. My car was in for a battery replacement, and the tech broke one of the small plastic hangers in the trunk. Being a car industry person myself, I'm pretty he wasn't paying attention, or he was just rough with removing the trunk trim to access the battery.

There are several dealers in the Northern VA area. I have been to two of them over the years. Hands down the service is SUPERIOR at DULLES VOLVO. In fact just had my 98 C70 in service there this week. Prompt, efficient and never an issue. I have own lots of cars and have been to many many service departments - nothing compares. I use dot have a Mini Cooper - which the dealer is next door to Volvo - I hated going there - They were prompt and efficient but $$$$.

Totally depends on the tech. I have no idea how greasy handprints would get on a headliner when in for warped rotors, that doesn't make any sense.

Regarding indys being better- I disagree. You can get bad techs there too. I've seen plenty of instances where someone brings their car to us after an indy messes it up. People make the difference- whether at an indy shop or dealership.

Just like any business, expecting the identical service across 280+ dealerships and who knows how many technicians and service porters isn't realistic.
      Last edited by Tech; 03-25-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Totally depends on the tech. I have no idea how greasy handprints would get on a headliner when in for warped rotors, that doesn't make any sense.

Regarding indys being better- I disagree. You can get bad techs there too. I've seen plenty of instances where someone brings their car to us after an indy messes it up. People make the difference- whether at an indy shop or dealership.

Just like any business, expecting the identical service across 280+ dealerships and who knows how many technicians and service porters isn't realistic.
      Thanks for your post. I'm honestly not sure either about the greasy fingers prints all over the interior - the car was in for warped rotors, and a new interior door panel (was discolored from delivery). It was there for 16 days, and they ran down the battery (I had to get towed into the dealership a week later for a new battery).

I definitely agree with you - it's not realistic to expect consistent service quality across a 280+ dealer network who are all independent franchises. But at the same time, being in the car industry myself for 20 years (I was national manager for Fixed Operations at a Japanese OEM, saw over 500 dealers), I wasn't expecting the interior to be this dirty, especially at the dealership. How else can a dealership sell the value of OEM service compared to the aftermarket, when they can't even keep the interior clean while it's there.

I was also a District Service & Parts Manager for an OEM, and I feel this particular dealership is either over capacity on the service side, or they just need to better train porters and techs on how to treat cars - if Volvo is really going premium, these are basic things a dealership can do to ensure customers receive a good experience.

I agree, it shouldn't happen. If I work on an interior, I double check and wipe down anything I touch. But I'm sure not everyone is as careful, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by davsanto View Post
      There are several dealers in the Northern VA area. I have been to two of them over the years. Hands down the service is SUPERIOR at DULLES VOLVO. In fact just had my 98 C70 in service there this week. Prompt, efficient and never an issue. I have own lots of cars and have been to many many service departments - nothing compares. I use dot have a Mini Cooper - which the dealer is next door to Volvo - I hated going there - They were prompt and efficient but $$$$.
      I can also say the same thing about the Volvo dealer in Alexandria.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I agree, it shouldn't happen. If I work on an interior, I double check and wipe down anything I touch. But I'm sure not everyone is as careful, unfortunately.
      Your customers (and dealership) are very lucky to have a technician who cares.

Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by AJS1KR View Post
      Your customers (and dealership) are very lucky to have a technician who cares.
      +1
      2013 FWD Flamenco Red S60 T5, platinum, climate and tech packages with BLIS.
      2017.5 AWD Nissan Murano Platinum with tech package

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements