Maintenance advice for possible 2012 XC60 FWD 3.2 120k miles purchase
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Maintenance advice for possible 2012 XC60 FWD 3.2 120k miles purchase

I'm in the market for a new commuter vehicle, basically something safe and reliable from point A to point B, no thrills necessary. We have a C30 and that takes care of any performance fix when needed.

There’s a 2012 XC60 FWD 3.2 with 120k in our area. The regular maintenance, mostly oil changes appears to have been made. There’s been brake pads and rotors changes too as well as a couple of trips to the mechanic for A/C system service and refrigerant recharge around 110k miles.

My question is if I were to pull the trigger what maintenance would you recommend before I start using the vehicle and what should I look for. I can do the basic fluid changes, some brake and suspension but nothing too advanced.

I’ve been reading the forums and the main issue I can see is that some 3.2 engines use too much oil, for a variety of reasons. The B6324S5 engine seems to have a better track record with oil consumption but I’m trying to determine an overall cost to me to get into this vehicle. Also the A/C service and recharge seems a bit out of the ordinary so curious what other have experienced.

Anyway, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm not an XC60 owner but a former Volvo dealer tech. The following is what I would be looking at whenever I had an XC60 in for service:

The 120k mile service is a major service. It consists of oil and filter change, brake fluid flush and replacement of cabin air filter and engine air filter. Since service history seems to be available, make sure the spark plugs were replaced at least at the 75k mile service (when they were due for replacement) if not more recently.

I would expect the brake vacuum pump may be leaking oil by now. Perhaps check to see if that has already been resealed. If not, that is a very easy DIY job.

Make sure the windshield washers spray. The washer fluid delivery valves tend to leak, resulting in no windshield washer fluid on the windshield.

Passenger side engine mount and/or torque rod may be collapsed/worn at this mileage as well. You would feel those in excessive engine vibration.

It would be worth looking at the water pump for leaks as well. It's not exactly common for that to be leaking right now but it is within the realm of possibility.

Serpentine belt isn't "due" until 150k miles but I would check it for cracks. If you do the belt, I would do the tensioner and idler with it.

The A/C service isn't very alarming to me. I used to see a fair amount of refrigerant leaks from the TXV. A very simple repair for a Volvo tech.

My list is pretty minor. XC60 3.2 are pretty solid cars. If I were inclined to drive that type of vehicle, I can't think of much that would dissuade a purchase.
      2007 S40 T5

Thanks qaz996, I really appreciate the info and it's helpful to start my to-do list if we do purchase this (or another) XC60.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements