CV boot kit on FCP clearance
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

CV boot kit on FCP clearance

$17.45 per axle, get em while they are hot?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...t-gkn-31256010

FWIW, I rebooted with Genuine Volvo kits and the boots were made by GKN (grease was marked FoMoCo)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've never re-booted CV joints. I usually replace the axles but having FWD M66, axles are hard to find.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

I seen these when i was shopping for new AWD RH axles and wasnt sure if i could just replace the boots or not, is there any reason you couldnt just reboot the old CV axles, i know i pulled axle apart when removing exposing the three roller bearing so i wasnt sure if i broke it or not.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      I seen these when i was shopping for new AWD RH axles and wasnt sure if i could just replace the boots or not, is there any reason you couldnt just reboot the old CV axles, i know i pulled axle apart when removing exposing the three roller bearing so i wasnt sure if i broke it or not.
      You can as long as the play is minimal between the joints, you can redo axles. I use CVJ Axles who diassembles, cleans and reassembles them with new grease and boots, de rusts and paints them. One in the car may be original TO the car, not sure, but it was OEM and now it is OEM with 190k on it potentially.

the only reason they say you can't reuse an axle is if it has too much slop or is a non-oem axle. Apparently there's manufacturing methods they don't support rebuilding them and if it has too much slop they have to replace the joint for an added charge. Only two things they said they couldn't redo an axle for.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

The way I understand axles, if you catch a freshly torn boot, you can have pretty good success with cleaning and rebooting. I did boots on my Honda Accord at around 250k miles, and it was a complete success. My Volvo got fresh boots around 195k and they are working fine. Be warned -- it's a messy job!

On the Honda, I only did the outers, so I had to disassemble the joint -- basically had to whack the inner race off of the shaft with a big hammer. On the Volvo, I did both, but I didn't disassemble the joint. I tried and it was on TIGHT.

If a cracked boot or lost grease goes unnoticed until you get noise or vibration from the axle, it's probably too late.

It is a balancing act. The CV joints wear even with boots intact. When boots are compromised, crud can get in and cause greater damage, causing excessive vibration. Just changing the boots may be good enough but if there is excessive wear then the joints need a rebuild or axles replaced.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

I have had good success with re-booting on all my volvos. Even not catching the torn boot super early. Seems there is bit of forgiveness but officially I would say do it immediately upon noticing. I typically only use GKN brand. For whatever reason on these P1's, I had difficulty getting the clamps in this kit to keep tight. It's almost like the slots are either too tight or too loose and need one in between. I tried all I could and eventually gave up and used hose clamps (I know, kinda ghetto but it works). Maybe it was just me.
      1985 240 Turbo 330K | 1995 Yellow T5-R 238K | 1996 850 Turbo 250K | 2005 S40 2.4i 178K | 2005 XC90 2.5T 240K | 2006 C70 T5 214K | 2007 S40 T5 170K

I'm just bummed that these are the FWD axle boots. The AWD ones are still $121 a side.

Does anyone know why there are multiple compound grease pods in these? The FWD kit is pictured with five pods, all pretty much the same. The AWD kit has four, and it appears to be two of each of different compounds.

FWD:

AWD: FWD.jpg
      AWD.jpg
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=6130

This grease is designed specifically for use in tripod joints. Use of the wrong grease can lead to premature failure.

The needle bearings in tripod joints can overheat easily because the rollers slide along the length of the needles in addition to spinning around them. The very tight tolerances in tripod joints also do not tolerate solid additives, which can jam and cause the bearings to seize. This special grease from GKN has high scuffing resistance, but without the solid additives typically found in CV grease.

Hmmm, I noticed checking on the boots the last time I went underneath Magnus. I'll add the boots to my "parts stock." Should I be proactive or wait 'till they open up?
      Mark

"New-to-me" V50 Back from the dead.

I think the job is too big of a hassle to do for prophylaxis. But you will run less risk of damaging the joints.

For me, when I jacked up the car to do the timing belt at 200k, the boots split shortly afterwards. I think the angles from jacking did in the boots.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements