Is my car possessed?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Is my car possessed?

My 2013 Volvo S60 T5 is currently having sporadic issues where I’ll be driving and all of a sudden will enter limp mode and a few trouble codes will appear on the screen. “DSTC Service Required” and “Transmission Service Required” bring two of the most popular. Besides that, “Coolant System Service Required”, “Parking Brake Service Required”, “Brake Failure Stop Safely”, “SRS Airbag Service Required” also seldom appear as well. On top of all that, my speedometer will what I’m calling “wave at me,” where it’ll show my current speed, drop to 0, then instantly show my speed, then drop back to 0. My RPM gauge will drop to 0. And my outside temperature will read --°F. I have no idea as to what is happening. I have googled my issue and all that comes up is this same exact issue with a 2004 Volvo S60. Absolutely nothing about a ‘13. If anybody would be so kind to help me understand what is going on or tell me what I could do to alleviate this issue, I would be extremely grateful.

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Is your car still on its original battery? Sometimes random, crazy electrical issues are related to a bad battery.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Sounds like gremlins at work.
      In the driveway: 2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon | iPd Skid Plate | TFT DIM upgrade (mine), ... Former - 2006 S40 2.4i M56
      2009 Acura RDX & 1995 Celica GT Convertible (wife), 2017 GMC Sierra SLE | Elevation Edition | Crew Cab (son)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

This sounds like a communication error. I had something similar happened together with a no start sometimes.
      My problem was caused by loose relay. Check my other post in the thread about no start and a lot of similar messages.

Might be worth to check all the fuses and relays around the car. There are 4 relays under the dash that are pain to get to...

In your situation I would begin with a visual inspection of the battery. Maybe the terminals are corroded, and you are not getting all 12 volts into your electronics. The main battery should not be subjected to rapid charging, 10 amps or higher. However, it can be safely charged overnight at a lower amperage, 6 amps or less. If that provides a temporary fix to your various fault code messages, then you might have to replace the battery soon. I think your car has an auxiliary battery under the hood somewhere, but I don't know much about that, as my Volvo S60 was manufactured in 2005, and it only has one battery, the main one, located in the trunk.

Similar

Quote Originally Posted by StevenStowik View Post
      My 2013 Volvo S60 T5 is currently having sporadic issues where I’ll be driving and all of a sudden will enter limp mode and a few trouble codes will appear on the screen. “DSTC Service Required” and “Transmission Service Required” bring two of the most popular. Besides that, “Coolant System Service Required”, “Parking Brake Service Required”, “Brake Failure Stop Safely”, “SRS Airbag Service Required” also seldom appear as well. On top of all that, my speedometer will what I’m calling “wave at me,” where it’ll show my current speed, drop to 0, then instantly show my speed, then drop back to 0. My RPM gauge will drop to 0. And my outside temperature will read --°F. I have no idea as to what is happening. I have googled my issue and all that comes up is this same exact issue with a 2004 Volvo S60. Absolutely nothing about a ‘13. If anybody would be so kind to help me understand what is going on or tell me what I could do to alleviate this issue, I would be extremely grateful.

Steve
      My 2015.5 V60 did the exact same thing. I would disconnect battery and do a reset, and it would usually go away for a week or so. Eventually random components began to get fried. First was starter, then water pump, then brake cylinder (after the warning). It ended up being a bad section in the engine computer that wasn't resisting properly and blowing components as well as sensors. Most of the parts were still okay, but they were reporting as bad. All I ever had to change was starter and water pump. The shop did the rest of the work and we had to order a new engine computer. The most difficult part for me was getting the air out of the coolant system after that pump change.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements