Purging/burping air out of 4.4L V8 on a 2007 XC90
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Purging/burping air out of 4.4L V8 on a 2007 XC90

Itís time for a coolant change on my car Iíve not done it on this vehicle in the past and donít want to have a disaster with an air pocket causing a hotspot internally
      most here seem to just run the car with the cap off the the bottle and then suddenly itíll take another 12 to 20 ounces then they drive around a few miles a Park it
      next day when itís cold it seems to take another 12 to 20 ozs and then your topped up however Iíve seen the vacuum system online and looked at YouTube videos and that seems a lot more thorough
      I donít know that AutoZone or advanced auto has that kit to rent but if so, I would go that way as itís the best way seemingly

My question is should I find a good hump to drive the car up onto, raising the front of the car very high so that my bottle is higher than my heater core when letting the car idle to then get the air to burp out?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1963 View Post
      Itís time for a coolant change on my car Iíve not done it on this vehicle in the past and donít want to have a disaster with an air pocket causing a hotspot internally
      most here seem to just run the car with the cap off the the bottle and then suddenly itíll take another 12 to 20 ounces then they drive around a few miles a Park it
      next day when itís cold it seems to take another 12 to 20 ozs and then your topped up however Iíve seen the vacuum system online and looked at YouTube videos and that seems a lot more thorough
      I donít know that AutoZone or advanced auto has that kit to rent but if so, I would go that way as itís the best way seemingly

My question is should I find a good hump to drive the car up onto, raising the front of the car very high so that my bottle is higher than my heater core when letting the car idle to then get the air to burp out?
      SLOWLY - pull a vacuum with a shop vac.

Your welcome

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Ohh yeah
      Gee thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul1963 View Post
      yup- bye-bye Next time - figure it out yourself Oh yea, that's right - you couldn't, that's why you asked for help. :
      Last edited by GRUENDIG; 03-15-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Wow
      Thatís the greatest example of HUGE EGO, LOW SELF ESTEEM Iíve ever witnessed. Your a Psycologists dream patient
      To have gotten just so Irked,so annoyed that I HAD THE AUDACITY to not get back with a thank you for your really well thought out wisdom and to make sure to show how RUDE I was for not doing so by sending that eye rolling emoji showing how just thoughtless of me it was to not give you the attention you so needed for your ďhelpĒ

WOW! Everynody that will still have you around must think your so cool! And itís cause they wanna be just like you
      Truth I see here? You would not piss on anybody if they were on fire. Cause it makes you feel good about yourself

Bye Bye

Wow
      Thatís the greatest example of HUGE EGO, LOW SELF ESTEEM Iíve ever witnessed. Your a Psycologists dream patient
      To have gotten just so Irked,so annoyed that I HAD THE AUDACITY to not get back with a thank you for your really well thought out wisdom and to make sure to show how RUDE I was for not doing so by sending that eye rolling emoji showing how just thoughtless of me it was to not give you the attention you so needed for your ďhelpĒ

WOW! Everynody that will still have you around must think your so cool! And itís cause they wanna be just like you
      Truth I see here? You would not piss on anybody if they were on fire. Cause it makes you feel good about yourself

Bye Bye
      :
      You asked a question and I answered the best I could, and you just could not bring yourself to respond with a thank you - sad.
      Last edited by GRUENDIG; 03-15-2020 at 07:50 PM.

Stop looking to others to make you feel good about who you think you are

Stop looking to others to make you feel good about who you think you are
      At least not me. I canít make you feel good about yourself

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      SLOWLY - pull a vacuum with a shop vac.
      55 years experience and I've never heard this. Without some sort of explanation, I wouldn't thank you for this suggestion, either. Sounds like a good way to get a shop vac full of coolant.
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 175,000 miles and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
      55 years experience and I've never heard this. Without some sort of explanation, I wouldn't thank you for this suggestion, either. Sounds like a good way to get a shop vac full of coolant.
      If you can't figure it out it's best not to even try and with a rude comment like that, then an explanation is not even deserved.
      Last edited by GRUENDIG; 03-17-2020 at 11:18 AM.

I`m with GRUENDIG on this, I tire of giving suggestions with no response. Doesn`t necessarily need to be thank you, just a " I might give that a try" . Although I would give more than 2 days for a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      I`m with GRUENDIG on this, I tire of giving suggestions with no response. Doesn`t necessarily need to be thank you, just a " I might give that a try" . Although I would give more than 2 days for a response.
      I do not have defensive comment for that suggestion. Thanks! :

Thatís exactly the issue here. Maybe I have other things going on?
      Maybe I have other people in my life that need my time?
      And maybe, just maybe everyoneís skin is really thin cause they are all waiting for their ďparticipation trophyĒ cause They did the normal thing anyone will do without the need for someone to make you feel good about it?
      If you held the door for someone, and they stepped through it and just nodded or glanced at you, Youd then have to give them an attitude and lecture them about their etiquette? Because they did not give you a hardy thank You?
      How about you guys stop looking to others to make you feel justified in being so impressed with yourselves? How about that?
      So what if I did not get back anyway? That makes me a very rude guy now? Or is it that youíve become a weights and measures guy? I ask questions here cause I know without any knowledge of a symptom and itís cause or how to tackle a job youíll possibly break something that you did not need to touch in the first place cause so much is made of plastic and the real problem may be elsewhere
      You know how I know? Cause I ran my own shop up until I got Lyme disease in 04 making it now impossible to work full or even some weeks part time, and by then Iíd been an auto tech for over 20 years so anything after that Iíve got to go ask about

What I see and hear on this forum is a bunch of guys that brag like teenagers about their hot wheels and most talk like they can do all these services and repairs but more often then not you guys are subcontractors that buy parts then take them to some guy that runs an Indepedant Volvo shop and so he now only gets his hourly rate cause you brought your own ďBacon and eggsĒ

Thatís really thoughtful of you dontchathink??

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      If you can't figure it out it's best not to even try and with a rude comment like that, then an explanation is not even deserved.
      Wasn't expecting one.

Kids these days demand instant gratification and have little if any consideration of other folks' situations. Chill out and go with the flow. Life's too short to stress out over your "like" count.
      John C
      ---------------------

Iím with you John
      I just want to get some info on a repair and not get jerked around by a kid but itís true that heís just a stupid kid
      But it still astonishes me how it is today with people cause chances are heís not a kid and thatís whatís so frustrating
      Your supposed to know better then act like that toward people but it seems to be the norm now

Ok Boomers
      Respect is earned.

Hi there Paul, once your blood pressure returns to normal after dealing with the troll that totally got you, relax. The coolant change in the XC90 is not that big of a deal.

If you're just doing a simple drain and fill, just do a simple drain and fill using the draincock at the bottom of the radiator. Take your time on the fillup, the hoses from the reservoir to the rest of the system are not a large diameter. So it takes a while for a gallon or two of coolant to flow throughout the full system. Give lots of time for the air to find it's way to the top. Since the thermostat on this engine is located near the bottom of the engine and there are vent lines from the top of the radiator and both cylinder heads coming over to the expansion tank, its just a matter of filling slowly and giving time for the air to make its way to the top. If you quickly slam a bunch of coolant into the reservoir, getting it to a level higher than the vent lines coming in, it will "lock" and will seem full when its not. It needs to "glug" and it can't when the reservoir is completely full. Once you think its full, give the radiator hoses a squeeze. If the radiator is completely full, the coolant should want to burp out of the reservoir. If there is still air, squeezing the radiator hoses will seem like nothing is happening. If you're getting impatient, loosen the upper radiator hose and break it loose, that will quickly bleed air from the system as well. Just be sure to reconnect it before you start the engine.

Start the engine with the A/C turned off and "man the reservoir". It should glug a couple times. Keep the level where you can see it, but DONT fill it to the rim.....you'll just make a mess as the coolant expands and air finds its way to the top. You want to run the engine until the cooling fan turns on. At that point, you should've gotten 90-99% of the air out. Top up the reservoir the next couple times you drive it. Once it stabilizes, you're good.

The vacuum system is a fancy way of getting it done faster and more thoroughly. But its not required. The factory makes them for the dealer to use because the dealer can't follow you home and top up the reservoir if a bubble makes its way there. Volvo owners aren't too pleased to have a coolant flush done only to get a low coolant light when they put the key in the following morning.

I've done several coolant flushes on mine over the past several years. I have a 2007 V8 with 225K on the clocks.

Now there's an example of a helpful post!
      John C
      ---------------------

Thanks so very much!
      I will do it just that way
      I can leave the car and go do other things and then just go back and ad a Quart,..oh escuse me,.liter at a time
      Donít want to say something wrong cause Iíll may get berated/corrected by an expert cause the experts are always watching here Iíve learned

I ordered a new expansion tank cause they are cheap and come with a new cap and the low coolant sensor is in them too
      Made by dorman and itís coming from summit racing so this is a good thing I think to put on a car thats over 13 years old with 185.000

Thanks again
      Have a great day
      Paul

I agree completely

So it is true that if you fill the bottle very slowly and keep it below the the coolant level sensor it will go into the engine easier than if you fill the bottle all the way up which makes it harder for it to burp
      So fill slow and keep it low in the bottle burbs a few ounces of air so youíre not really starving it for coolant
      Thanks for the advice like anything once you know how itís easy

Quote Originally Posted by beernose View Post
      It’s time for a coolant change on my car I’ve not done it on this vehicle in the past and don’t want to have a disaster with an air pocket causing a hotspot internally
      most here seem to just run the car with the cap off the the bottle and then suddenly it’ll take another 12 to 20 ounces then they drive around a few miles a Park it
      next day when it’s cold it seems to take another 12 to 20 ozs and then your topped up however I’ve seen the vacuum system online and looked at YouTube videos and that seems a lot more thorough
      I don’t know that AutoZone or advanced auto has that kit to rent but if so, I would go that way as it’s the best way seemingly

Hi there Paul, once your blood pressure returns to normal after dealing with the troll that totally got you, relax. The coolant change in the XC90 is not that big of a deal.

If you're just doing a simple drain and fill, just do a simple drain and fill using the draincock at the bottom of the radiator. Take your time on the fillup, the hoses from the reservoir to the rest of the system are not a large diameter. So it takes a while for a gallon or two of coolant to flow throughout the full system. Give lots of time for the air to find it's way to the top. Since the thermostat on this engine is located near the bottom of the engine and there are vent lines from the top of the radiator and both cylinder heads coming over to the expansion tank, its just a matter of filling slowly and giving time for the air to make its way to the top. If you quickly slam a bunch of coolant into the reservoir, getting it to a level higher than the vent lines coming in, it will "lock" and will seem full when its not. It needs to "glug" and it can't when the reservoir is completely full. Once you think its full, give the radiator hoses a squeeze. If the radiator is completely full, the coolant should want to burp out of the reservoir. If there is still air, squeezing the radiator hoses will seem like nothing is happening. If you're getting impatient, loosen the upper radiator hose and break it loose, that will quickly bleed air from the system as well. Just be sure to reconnect it before you start the engine.

Start the engine with the A/C turned off and "man the reservoir". It should glug a couple times. Keep the level where you can see it, but DONT fill it to the rim.....you'll just make a mess as the coolant expands and air finds its way to the top. You want to run the engine until the cooling fan turns on. At that point, you should've gotten 90-99% of the air out. Top up the reservoir the next couple times you drive it. Once it stabilizes, you're good.

The vacuum system is a fancy way of getting it done faster and more thoroughly. But its not required. The factory makes them for the dealer to use because the dealer can't follow you home and top up the reservoir if a bubble makes its way there. Volvo owners aren't too pleased to have a coolant flush done only to get a low coolant light when they put the key in the following morning.

I've done several coolant flushes on mine over the past several years. I have a 2007 V8 with 225K on the clocks.
      Great explanation. Can’t second guess that
      with a V8 at 225K. Do you use Volvo coolant on your V8?

This time I used Zerex G05 HOAT full strength
      I had the Volvo coolant in the car for probably seven years since the balance shaft was taken care of at Volvo when I drained it it came out so clean it looks like the the cooling system was flushed a month ago not a speck of anything no snot or goo of any kind whatsoever absolutely stunningly spotless that coolant came out
      But I could get the Zerex locally as these days shipping is gotten slow and I didnít want to wait and thereís no Volvo dealership for 30 or more miles I did use liquid MollyĎs coolant flush anyhow because I bought it so I drain the coolant first found it spotless decided Iíll just put the stuffing in with distilled water flush it and then I ran distilled water twice after that through the cooling system filling it letting it Bob driving it then draining it Twice then I filled it with a 50-50 mix of distilled water and the Zerex
      G05 HOAT Itís extremely important to use distilled water and with what the 50-50 mix costs compared to the full strength itís ridiculous to buy pre-mix to save what two bucks a gallon over the full strength ?
      So again fill that bottle very slow and once it starts to come up to the middle where the seam is inside leave it below the coolant level sensor squeeze the house a few times itíll burp itíll lower down
      The heater core will hold a lot of fluid the system holds almost 11 quarts but basically the only drain out about a gallon and a half so thereís quite a bit left in the cooling system you just canít drain out mostly probably in the heater core you can gently blow air into the tank and it will blast out about a pint or more but I donít know if you get an additional court I donít think you do so when refilling after flushing with distilled water use a gallon of straight coolant and in fact Are used a gallon and a half because the system holds 1 quart shy of 3 gallons total capacity so thereís just 1 gallon 3 quarts of water left in the system after flushing in a couple of times which is also why I believe itís important to flush it at least two times because youíre cut the coolant out of it more so each time

I apologize for spellcheck but I use talk to text anymore because Iím just tired of hunting and packing , pecking

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements