Automatic Electric Parking Brake
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Automatic Electric Parking Brake

I have a 2017 S90 Inscription with the air suspension, but not the 4C chassis. Whenever I park on either a slight up or downhill slope, the parking brake engages. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I can't figure out how to turn it off. The owner's manual describes a way to do it that doesn't appear on my touchscreen. Here's what the owner's manual shows: 1. Tap Settings in Top view. 2. Tap My Car Electric Parking Brake and deselect Auto Activate Parking Brake. My "Settings" doesn't have "Electric Parking Brake" as an option in "My Car." According to the manual, the parking brake is supposed to automatically disengage when you are wearing your self belt and shift from Park into reverse or drive, but mine stays engaged. Do you think there's a software upgrade for this?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You have to put it in drive and press the gas pedal... it will hold for a moment and then release. Or you can just turn it off with your foot on the break and pressing down on the park button. This will always turn on a hill, it's different than the normal parking break setting.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      You have to put it in drive and press the gas pedal... it will hold for a moment and then release. Or you can just turn it off with your foot on the break and pressing down on the park button. This will always turn on a hill, it's different than the normal parking break setting.
      I guess you can't take it out of "auto," then. My wife has a 2019 XC60, and her parking brake doesn't engage automatically.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

there are two types of automatic parking brake. the setting you can change through the sensus screen will keep it from engaging while you are stopped at say a red light. this setting comes on when the vehicle is in drive and comes to a full stop. it is a convenience setting so you dont need to hold the brake.

the hill parking brake will always engage when the car is parked on a non level surface. this cannot be shut off through the car and i do not think i could shut it off with vida. if the car is parked on a hill, parking brake should be used, is there a reason you wouldnt want it engaged? with a software update, they changed the parking brake release to include a tap of the accelerator so it is very unobtrusive. at first with the s90, it could get annoying when you had to manually press the switch to disengage parking brake, but i cannot think of a reason to not have the parking brake on while parked on a hill

Thanks! I learned something new today that I could just tap on the accelartor to disengage the parking brake,

Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      there are two types of automatic parking brake. the setting you can change through the sensus screen will keep it from engaging while you are stopped at say a red light. this setting comes on when the vehicle is in drive and comes to a full stop. it is a convenience setting so you dont need to hold the brake.

the hill parking brake will always engage when the car is parked on a non level surface. this cannot be shut off through the car and i do not think i could shut it off with vida. if the car is parked on a hill, parking brake should be used, is there a reason you wouldnt want it engaged? with a software update, they changed the parking brake release to include a tap of the accelerator so it is very unobtrusive. at first with the s90, it could get annoying when you had to manually press the switch to disengage parking brake, but i cannot think of a reason to not have the parking brake on while parked on a hill

Quote Originally Posted by monst3r View Post
      Thanks! I learned something new today that I could just tap on the accelartor to disengage the parking brake,
      It only works if you buckled up. If not you have to do manual release.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements