SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Uh oh, found the Unicorn ("purists" will differ. . .)

3K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  _tateR 
#1 ·
It came up on a late night interwebs search: 2007 V70R, black with atacama :bow: California car and yes it's a 6-speed auto (all my ES's are standards so I'm not a total cretin), 108000 on the clock, timing belt and idler/tensioner replaced 4K ago, Carfax shows regular dealership service from day one, all four Pegs have major curb rash. Not sure I have a lot of wiggle room on price since it is a rare one. Have to check angle gear and compression still (kind of cold and snowy rain today) but a clean CA car with not a lot of "elements" to throw at it, it should be OK. We'll see how it goes . . . BTW wife hates the interior, but it will keep her out of the drivers seat

#4 ·
Good tip, thanks. Forgot a lot about these beasts since my S60R was totaled by my granddaughter 5 or 6 years ago (boulder fell off a cliff, landed on the A-pillar. All the airbags went off and the windshield imploded. No one hurt). Trying to upload some photos but Photobucket seems to be lousy anymore.

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
Discussing no this one over in the non affiliated. It does look clean but may have issues. If it checks out 12.5 isn’t bad.

#9 ·
Dang it's loaded too, that thing is so clean!

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black

#11 ·
very nice find.

those seats look redyed.

#14 ·
BTW wife hates the interior, but it will keep her out of the drivers seat
Weirdly my wife hates the baseball glove too, her favorite is nordkap which is convenient cause that's what I got. Would be fine with Gobi too...

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black

#15 ·
My wife liked the seats in our '07 R (Gobi) - with her back surgery they were very comfortable on the long haul. She hates the "pumpkin". Plus coupled with the black exterior she thinks it would be a rolling ad for Halloween . . . . Geez

Nope, don't have it yet. Got first right of refusal on it, holding until Wed when I can have the guys at TVG give it a professional eyeball. They have dealt with Millenium Motors many times in the past with pre-purchase evaluations and while they don't give ringing endorsements, they don't say run run run.

#17 ·
Those refinished seats do look really nice. I love the color combo.

My wife also is not a fan of Atacama, I think she calls it baby p**p, lol. I may still get a car with that interior just for spite.

#18 ·
Those refinished seats do look really nice. I love the color combo.

My wife also is not a fan of Atacama, I think she calls it baby p**p, lol. I may still get a car with that interior just for spite.
[emoji28] just hope she loves you enough to tolerate it, I think mine would say something like "you have awful taste but I love you anyway"

#19 ·
Nice! Not quite the unicorn as it’s missing the MT. But I’m liking the seats. Mine are getting hard and cracked and while the “natural aged look” was cool for a while it’s starting to be annoying. Any suggestions for bringing it back to life, if not respraying?

#21 ·
Nice! Not quite the unicorn as it's missing the MT. But I'm liking the seats. Mine are getting hard and cracked and while the "natural aged look" was cool for a while it's starting to be annoying. Any suggestions for bringing it back to life, if not respraying?
Heheheh - I'm always searching for the holy grail on leather reconditioning. I've used the Leatherique duo many times with varying degrees of success depending on the cardboardiness of the leather. Got some Obenauf's leather oil last summer. Again, seems fine, didn't stain the leather I was working with (beige on my 780) but not too successful in softening up the original leather on my '72 ES. I think it had been sitting for too long (20 years but out of the elements) and just is't going to soften up. Just got some Connolly leather cleaner and hide care so obviously I'm NOT giving up on the ES yet! I really would prefer to keep the original, but I may have to go to VP for covers - they are pretty nice though . . . I think if you keep the seats in regular use (not storing for an abnormally long period of time) they stay a bit more supple - don't ask me why I think this, maybe just a combination of butt-on butt-off and the occasional cleaning it gets.

What I did with my '96 960 was to clean the leather thoroughly (again I used Leatherique on this), snipped a bit of the hide from under the seat and sent it off to Leatherique to get it color matched. They have a kit for re-dying at home. Work's well (I'll see if I can find some photos) but finding the correct application method to get a smooth uniform appearance. It is pretty labor intensive if you're looking at doing all the seats though. I took mine out and set up in the basement on a couple of folding tables. PM me and I'll send you photos if you like. Plus I'll probably post on the 960 forum.

#23 ·
Amazing what you can find if you search long and hard enough. Found the info on the car as published by the auction site. Estimated sales range from $4500 - $6000. It also had photos along with it. If she checks out with minimal problems I may go in at $9000, settle for $11000 . . . I don't think it was beat to death - was a leased car for the first 45K then the second owner had it for the next 60K. Looking at the back of the front seats it looks like kid-shoe scuff marks so I don't think the owners were thrashing it to death. I wonder if I can get the original stitching back somehow . . .

#26 ·
Flash / Atacama / M66 - Unicorn :p

#27 ·
05 in this combo [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone XR using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Nice!

#32 ·
Brought her home. More time to go over it now and pay attention to things overlooked previously - driver's seat bolsters are textured vinyl, not smooth leather (probably should have picked up on that earlier but oh well), driver's inside door pull looks to be from a V70, not an R (no blue stitching - can't seem to find one on the interwebs . . . . Anyone got one?) Poorly repaired minor dent on the passenger side tailgate at the bottom (did see that early on) and the bumper around one of the backup sensors is cracked around the sensor - probably same collision damage that got the tailgate. Oil change tomorrow and replace a leaky hose from the expansion tank. Asking was $12500. Offered $7500, ended up at $9500. Looking for some 18" Pegs now . . .

#34 ·
Good for you, man. Need to update your sig!
Brought her home. More time to go over it now and pay attention to things overlooked previously - driver's seat bolsters are textured vinyl, not smooth leather (probably should have picked up on that earlier but oh well), driver's inside door pull looks to be from a V70, not an R (no blue stitching - can't seem to find one on the interwebs . . . . Anyone got one?) Poorly repaired minor dent on the passenger side tailgate at the bottom (did see that early on) and the bumper around one of the backup sensors is cracked around the sensor - probably same collision damage that got the tailgate. Oil change tomorrow and replace a leaky hose from the expansion tank. Asking was $12500. Offered $7500, ended up at $9500. Looking for some 18" Pegs now . . .

#35 ·
man, I thought my car's PO was rough on the Pegs

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

#36 ·
Seriously - previous owner did a number on those bad boys.

With all this time on my hands now I'd probably try my hand at refinishing these myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.