SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New To Me V70R

35K views 302 replies 36 participants last post by  monster451 
#1 ·
Well, since I've had this thing for a while, maybe I should start a thread.

I sold my P2 XC70 to a good friend down in California that needed a new daily.

Around the same time, another friend decided to buy a Tesla and was going to sell his 2000 V70R. Average miles, but well taken care of and had the transmission replaced with a NOS unit not that long ago. Perfect starting point. The very first thing I did was put some VSTs on it and lowered it a hair.

I was dailying it and really enjoying it for about a month.....

Guy was haulin in his bro-Tacoma and literally swiped the bumper straight off the car. Honestly it was pretty surgical. Somehow he clipped the bumper, but didn't touch the fender, hood, headlight or anything else. The downside is that cause it hit the backbar too, it tweaked both frame horns.

That takes us to part 2...

See less See more
#3 ·
Knowing that dealing with insurance can be a headache, and needing a car to drive, I picked up another P80 AWD car to potentially do an "everything" swap into if they totaled the VR.

I really liked the red, and honestly just wanted a shell. This car turned out to be a typical Craigslist gem. Lots of undisclosed/hidden issues. Including the check engine bulb being completely removed. I started by cleaning the car too to bottom and fixing some of the small issues.

Replacing the sagging Nivomats wasn't important just yet since this could wind up as a P80 XC70R, but I didn't like the reverse rake, so I did what I do. Started thinking ahead and seeing what I could build myself, and cane up with a way to do coilover sleeves using as much OE styled stuff to keep a good ride, but have adjustable height.

#5 ·
Taking the car to the "recommended" body shop and getting a $16k repair estimate, I knew I'd be in for a fight. After going back and forth with insurance, I finally got them to send an adjuster to my house and he looked the car over. After many "wow, this thing is super clean"s by the adjuster, we finally came to the conclusion that the body shop obviously just didn't want to do the work and that the car could be repaired. We got the repair price up as high as we could without totaling the car and I started digging in. I got the frame straightened first.

Since iPd is right around the corner we jumped straight into prep for that... first color change wrap. Gloss grey 3M vinyl

Test fitting big brake upgrade

Since my company logo has the like green in it, I decided to create my own color and add some pop

#7 ·
I had an idea for my exhaust as well as something my company could potentially sell, so I toke a specific measurement of where to cut, and popped off the axle back exhaust. Then I made a fixture to locate all the specific points.

What I'm building is a split right after the axle, one side running over to a muffler on the passenger side, and the other side going to a boost-actuated dump valve. So in theory, quiet during normal operation and rowdy under boost. I'm also plotting a way to be able to run it open dump all the time.
(currently waiting on some straight pipe to arrive to finish the second side)

And because I now have a very specific look in my head for the overall car, the VSTs had to go gloss black (honestly not usually a fan of black wheels, but I have a good feeling for the overall combo).

#33 ·
I had an idea for my exhaust as well as something my company could potentially sell, so I toke a specific measurement of where to cut, and popped off the axle back exhaust. Then I made a fixture to locate all the specific points.

What I'm building is a split right after the axle, one side running over to a muffler on the passenger side, and the other side going to a boost-actuated dump valve. So in theory, quiet during normal operation and rowdy under boost. I'm also plotting a way to be able to run it open dump all the time.
(currently waiting on some straight pipe to arrive to finish the second side)

With this jig, Are you able to fab up another exhaust that you'd be willing to sell? If so PM me please. I am also in the Pacific Northwest and would arrange pick up

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Here's some pics of the bumper repair...

Backside stitching of the tears

Then plastic reinforcement on the back

Frontside plastic filler

Figured while I'm here, I'll delete the wiper spots (never was a fan and this way I don't have to replace the motors or missing blades), I made a template then found a junk bumper cover at a body shop (best to use similar materials when repairing/modifying bumpers) and cut out dome chunks

I'll post more as I do stuff/have time.

#15 ·
What struts and adjustable spring perches for the homemade coilovers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just regular Sachs struts that I cut the spring perch off of

These are the coilover sleeves I used.

The set I've been running for a while now is using Eibach 10" 300lb springs. It's a nice slightly performance spring rate. I ordered some 275lb spring to swap out and see if it's just a bit softer. If so, I'll eventually run the 275s on the XC for more daily use and the 300s on the VR for a nice street use feel.

#17 ·
In disbelief but not. SO glad you were OK with the bro-Tacoma doofus.
You have the vision, the composure and the ability to take lemons and make outstanding thirst-quenching lemonade, man.
If they're having Carlisle this year, you should fly and rent and attend. Would be an honor to meet and hang with you.

#20 ·
Sometimes I think I shouldn't be so nice. I helped the Tacoma guy put his spare tire on so he could drive home (he didn't know where his jack was, or how to lower the spare tire), but shortly after he claimed an injury and was trying to say it was my fault. Luckily I take TONS of picture when I'm in an accident (before I move my car).

#24 · (Edited)
Game over. Is there anything you CAN’T do??
The aardvark is good stuff. I’ve got a few myself but nothing like that. I’ve got Dave’s Temp insanity. It’s about as hot as I’ll go...

#25 · (Edited)
Honestly, I’ve been a fan of wings forever, but not hot sauce as quite as much. Always came up with different sauces for my wings. My wife pretty much always has a bottle of hot sauce in her purse and one of my younger brothers was into making small batch hot sauce for a while. It didn’t really kick up until I started watching Hot Ones on YouTube. Then I kind of wanted to see what they were tasting to get a feel for their reaction. Which turned into buying hot sauces in general. There’s a few bottles in the caddy that will probably be there forever (cause they just dint taste good) and there’s some that go faster than I can order it. Most of the hottest ones we just use to kick-up other sauces. I’ve only melted my face a few times.

Once you get the hang of different skills, you’re really only limited to your imagination for what you can build. Manual skills translate to lots of different projects.

#26 ·
Once you get the hang of different skills, you're really only limited to your imagination for what you can build. Manual skills translate to lots of different projects.
100% this.

#30 ·
Hey Adam, welcome back to the P80 game!
Glad to see the business seems to be doing well.
Really looking forward to what you do with the V70R. It's a nice change from the usual stuff here.

#32 ·
I've been waiting for this thread for weeks - bummer about the bumper but glad they didn't total it.

My recently acquired 2000 V70R has a similar scar on the front bumper, but not quite as bad. I was thinking exactly the same thing for the repair.

#38 ·
Certainly. The only difference is that the -99 awd exhaust has no drivers side outlet at all. However if you peel the end cap off the DS muffler you'll see strait into the baffle arrangement and could, if you wanted, put a tip on with a boost or electrically actuated cutout.

#39 ·
I have noticed that and I have thought very strongly about it. I would prefer to have something that has a slight bit of a tone but has some bark at boost. There is one that cuts the drone via a flap on a spring in the muffler. I do really like the look of the dual exhaust since it does have the exit ports in the bumper for dual exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.